Multiples

How much do you pay your nanny (twins)

I am trying to gage how much it's going to be. I know every area is different and every nanny charges different amounts but just wanted an idea.

What are the downfalls to having a nanny besides the kids not being around other kids. I will only be doing it until they are 2 because once they are 2 it opens up more daycares for us.

Thanks!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: How much do you pay your nanny (twins)

• In my area, nannies run about $18-20/hour for two kids including taxes and all that jazz, so about $800-900/week if you figure a 9 hour day.
  • Holy crap! ummm...maybe a nanny isn't the way to go after all lol..

Thanks Kafunder! For all of your responses :) Happy New year!!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We pay our nanny $14/hour.  Before us, she was making $9 for one child. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Notes:
  • I am in the deep south and we pay our babysitter who is in her mid 50's 20 an hour for the babies.  We have never left all three kids with her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My babysitter is a teacher from their DC and we pay her $15 a hour.  If she were our nanny, we would probably pay around $600-$700 a week for 5 days at 9 hours a day.

ETA:  assuming I'm paying cash.  If going the legit route, we are probably looking at $20ish an hour.

Me: PCOs DH: Perfect!
    4 Fresh IVF cycles + 1 FET where embies didn't survive the thaw = 2 perfect little men!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    sFET 11/9/11 - Beta 11/18 BFP!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We pay $15/hour (live in Chicago) and also provide breakfast and lunch for her, plus have paid for her to take infant CPR and get flu and DTAP shots. Only drawback I can think of is if she gets sick and DH or I can't work from home I will have to take them to daycare that has an emergency drop in service.
  • we interviewed nannies, realized how damn expensive a good one is, and promptly found a day care!

the one we wanted to hire was $1000 cash/week, and that was like 9 hours a day. we would have needed her about 10 hours a day, so $22 adtl per day. plus 2 weeks paid vacation and 5 sick days per year. and petty cash for activities. no thanks!

we interviewed 3 others who we could have had for $650-$700/week but they were all hot messes.

• We have two. One is a pediatric nurse and I pay her $15 an hour. Another is a recently graduated teacher and I pay her $12 an hour.

When I work I work 20 hours a week and pay $240. If I was working f/t I would pay per week not per hour and would probably pay $450-500 a week.

We also live upstate and I interviewed plenty if qualified candidates that were willing to make $10 an hour.

Where you are located you may be able to hire 2 college/graduate students to split the week and pay them $10 an hour easily.

Go on care.com and Sittercity.com and browse profiles (free to do) it will show you salary requirements in your area.
  • I interviewed about 6 candidates - several wanted $16 an hour for twins but the one I hired (not b/c of her price but b/c I liked her best) wanted $12 an hour.  We are managing to keep it to 40 hours a week by staggering me and dh's work schedule and having my parents do 1/2 day a week.  She starts next week but was previously working in a daycare center and I gather this is more money than she was making with less kids she's responsible for.
  • I live in California and it is not uncommon for nannies of twins to make $20-$25 an hour.  We pay my mom to come to our house and watch them.  She comes at 7am and leaves when we get home (around 5 or 5:30) and we pay her $1800 a month.  GL to you!  
  • It obviously depends on where you are, and we are in a very high COL area, but we pay our nanny $650/week for a four-day week (41 hours).  I think that's actually lower than average for our area.  We also withhold taxes, etc.  The people we interviewed were looking for a pretty wide range (up to $900/week in cash), so it's worth it to look around to find someone you click with who also clicks with your budget.

Not being around other kids is a downside, but I don't consider it a big one at this age.  We also plan to start them in daycare when they are 2.  The biggest downside of a nanny vs. daycare, beyond cost, is that you need to make arrangements for alternative childcare when your nanny is sick or on vacation (we offer 2 weeks vacation a year - one at our designation - and 3 paid sick days).  I am fortunate to have back-up nanny care through work with only a nominal co-pay, and our nanny has yet to be sick or take vacation when DH or I aren't already off.  She's taking a week in March and my mom will come and stay here to help while we're gone. 

I really like having them at home with a nanny.  They aren't sick all the time, and it takes so much pressure off me to get them up and ready to leave in the morning while I'm also getting myself ready.

Good luck!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Our nanny started the beginnning of December, I return to work on Tuesday. She will work 7am til 3pm (DH leaves for work at 5:30am and gets home around 2:30pm and I leave for work at 7:30am), we pay her $9 an hour, cash. Sounds cheap but we don't ask her to do any housework at all, she is here to take care if our babies (DD1 will go to daycare full time), she is not our cleaning lady. Also, I asked her for a list of specific food items she wanted for breakfast, lunch and snacks and we purchase them for her each week.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I paid my nanny $11 per hour.  She had previously worked in a daycare for $10 per hour, so this was a raise for her.  

As newborns, not being around other kids is actually something of a plus, since they get sick less.  I would say the biggest downside of having a nanny is if they get sick, you have to stay home.  That said if you go to a daycare and your kids get sick, you have to stay home.  For me, it was difficult having someone in my house all the time making messes and eating my food.  But, it was nice to be in complete control of their schedule and food.

• We found our nanny (who I treasure and my children ADORE) on SitterCity. We paid $12/hr cash, and just gave her a raise to $13.50/hr. After baby #3 arrives, she'll get another raise to $15/hr. She does laundry, has never missed a day or been even 15 mins late, and packs her own lunch. We are lucky :)

I second Nikki- spend some time on SitterCity & Care.com- you might have the same luck.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers twins born at 36 wks Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"