Pre-School and Daycare

Bedding Set Opinion

DS just turned two. I am debating between the two sets. I decided to eliminate Sesame Street because it might be too babyish in the near future. I like the Planes, Trains and Trucks set but for almost double the cost am I gong to get that much more use out of it, like three more years use than the Thomas Set I will still need to get wall to wall carpeting, blinds and a sheer curtain because I am going with a straight valance. I posted 2 Olive kids because one is the company site and the other is Amazon which is a little less expensive for $300.00

Planes Trains and Trucks below: Total cost $300.00 (Amazon Price)

https://www.olivekids.com/dr-tptx.html

https://www.olivekids.com/dr-tptx.html

Thomas Set below:Total cost $180.00

https://www1.macys.com/shop/product/hit-entertainment-bedding-thomas-the-tank-engine-reversible-comforter-sets?ID=491894

Re: Bedding Set Opinion

• Neither one really look like they will last all that long before he is going to out grow the theme. If it were me, I would do the olive kid sheets and find a plain blue or green comforter and a throw pillow. That way, when he does out grow it you only need to buy new sheets in new theme or in a solid. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We are already re-doing DS's room because now he has a real opinion and likes.  I would not spend too much on bedding right now. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • go with a plain bedding set and decorate the room with stuff on the walls, etc... things you can change easily and cheap when your son hates trains - like, next week... since they can be very fickle :)

we went with the bedding from Pottery Barn for their batman room b/c the blanket is not character, just the sheets... and we can coordinate a lot with it if he doesn't want batman in a couple years.

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • imageecoppins:
    Neither one really look like they will last all that long before he is going to out grow the theme. If it were me, I would do the olive kid sheets and find a plain blue or green comforter and a throw pillow. That way, when he does out grow it you only need to buy new sheets in new theme or in a solid

This is exactly what we did!   DS wanted a train and truck room for his big boy room.   I found a nice plaid quilted comforter in blues and browns similar to this https://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/blue-brown-madras-quilted-bedding/?pkey=dboys-quilts at Homegoods.     Then I bought him train sheets with a blue background.    I don't like themed bedding sets.....i find them too busy.  I then got lots of pics to hang to go along with the transportation theme.   But that's my decorating style when I say I do a themed room....I pick some wall art and other decorative accents that go with the theme and keep the rest of the room simple and basic.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I personally think the first two sets are kinda babyish.  Perfectly fine for a 2 year old, but I think by 4, he'll want something else. We just did pink sheets and blankets she'd been made by people, until she was 3 1/2 (just this month), and then we took her to Target and she picked out a "pretty ponies" themed set (we bought the comforter, sheets, wall decals, valance), but the comforter is reversible to pink with white polka dots, if she gets tired of the horses, and also came with an extra sheet set which is pink.

Comforter sets are pricey (I think we spent a few hundred on everything), so you want to buy him something that will last awhile!

Just out of curiosity, why do you have to do new carpeting?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageecoppins:
    Neither one really look like they will last all that long before he is going to out grow the theme. If it were me, I would do the olive kid sheets and find a plain blue or green comforter and a throw pillow. That way, when he does out grow it you only need to buy new sheets in new theme or in a solid. 

Ditto!

DD~6 years old~born June 6, 2008 (1st grade)
    DS~4 years old~born November 6, 2010 (1st year of preschool)
  • I stuck with Thomas ...ladies: for $140.00 I got 2 sets of full size sheets, a reversible comforter and two pillow shams. I am ordering coordinating fabric online for window valances that my mother will sew

Total cost for all: $$170.00

I think this is great, especially if you live in a suburb of NYC like I do. From my personal experience solid comforters show every stain and mark. Something to keep in mind. Just think of it .. kids are going to be rougher on bedding than you are on your own.

• imageecoppins:
    Neither one really look like they will last all that long before he is going to out grow the theme. If it were me, I would do the olive kid sheets and find a plain blue or green comforter and a throw pillow. That way, when he does out grow it you only need to buy new sheets in new theme or in a solid. 

Thank you for the reply. From what I have found.... solids show EVERYTHING. A kid will be using them, not an adult who is more cautious.

• imageBrewtowngrl:
    We are already re-doing DS's room because now he has a real opinion and likes.  I would not spend too much on bedding right now. 

That is exactly what I am doing ... not spending much. I live in NY so it is not too much.

• imageakayf:

imageecoppins:
    Neither one really look like they will last all that long before he is going to out grow the theme. If it were me, I would do the olive kid sheets and find a plain blue or green comforter and a throw pillow. That way, when he does out grow it you only need to buy new sheets in new theme or in a solid

This is exactly what we did!   DS wanted a train and truck room for his big boy room.   I found a nice plaid quilted comforter in blues and browns similar to this https://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/blue-brown-madras-quilted-bedding/?pkey=dboys-quilts at Homegoods.     Then I bought him train sheets with a blue background.    I don't like themed bedding sets.....i find them too busy.  I then got lots of pics to hang to go along with the transportation theme.   But that's my decorating style when I say I do a themed room....I pick some wall art and other decorative accents that go with the theme and keep the rest of the room simple and basic.   

The Pottery Barn set is like $120 more than what I am spending ... thing is you are locked into a certain color and pattern like the brown plain you showed. Thanks anyway.

• imageB&C03:

I stuck with Thomas ...ladies: for $140.00 I got 2 sets of full size sheets, a reversible comforter and two pillow shams. I am ordering coordinating fabric online for window valances that my mother will sew

Total cost for all: $$170.00

I think this is great, especially if you live in a suburb of NYC like I do. From my personal experience solid comforters show every stain and mark. Something to keep in mind. Just think of it .. kids are going to be rougher on bedding than you are on your own. We need carpeting because although we have tried insulating the ceiling above him (not to mention the room is over a garage) carpeting will warm it up a bit. We had this experience in my parents' home and it helped.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"