2nd Trimester
Options

When is it too early to buy baby clothes?

Hi Ladies, I'm 22 weeks with my first and people keep telling me not to buy any baby clothes because friends/fam will buy for shower and after after baby is born. I'm excited to shop myself! Has anyone else shopped for baby clothes? Also I'm not sure on sizes because a coworker just had a 10 lb baby, went directly into 3 months and a cousin had a 5 lb baby and shes struggling to find newborn stuff.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: When is it too early to buy baby clothes?

• Options
    Its never too early to shop! ;)  I would just recommend not buying too much of the 0-3 month clothing.  They wear it for such a short amount of time and that is typically the size people gift you with.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've gotten a few clothes. But I've been focusing on getting other items for baby - cloth diapers, vibrating papasan chair, swing, crib stuff, ect. But baby made out like a bandit this Christmas, she got so any clothes and some little toys and some crib gear.
         I wouldn't buy too many clothes. If you have friends and family near you coming to your shower you should be okay. Maybe just get only a few outfits you absolutely love in size 6-9 months or larger. I see clothes 0-3 mo at Goodwill all the time with tags still on because I'm assuming the baby outgrew them before they ha the chance to wear them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm such a planner! I bought some baby clothes super early but its because we went into Once Upon a Child just to check it out. I left the store with 24 onies in newborn and 0-3 sizes. They were all $1.50 and some were 2 for $1.50 so I great deal. I'm all set for the baby's arrival!! But then again, I don't expect to have a big baby shower because I had a bridal shower less then a year ago!

But like like the pp said, you can get a few clothes but I would concentrate on the other stuff, that's really the fun stuff right now! 

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    Hey, as the mommy you should at least be able to pick out a couple of outfits! You should totally just indulge and enjoy yourself :) You're the mom, so you have priority! I'm actually so excited to do a little clothes shopping that I might just go out and buy an outfit or two after we (hopefully) find out the sex on Tues. I don't want to get too ahead of myself, but a couple of things can't hurt!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I maybe have 10 outfits that I picked up, all on sale. I think it's good to get bigger sizes or just keep some receipts.

Also, I have two SILs who had babies this year, one a boy and one a girl. SIL1 who had the girl got nothing but baby clothes for her shower. SIL2 with the boy pretty much got all the cool necessities from her shower. Just something to keep in mind. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I am not buying clothes until after my shower, for the reasons you stated.  At that point I can assess what I have and then buy more.

I don't want to end up spending my money on clothes if I end up getting a lot at my shower when I could have spent that money on other baby gear.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have only bought a few things and have gotten a bunch already at Christmas.
  • Options

Most stores will return items wihin 90 days if you have a receipt.  Kohls will return clothes anytime even outside of 90 days without a receipt.  So, you can buy things, just aware of return poicilies and keep receipts and tags on them until you need them.

I bought a bunch of clothes in sizes when I was about 30 weeks.  I had already had my shower so i filled in where I needed to.  I bought mostly 0-3, and 3-6 months and a few 3-6 month items  because I didn't want to buy too many summer things if it was going to be fall.

My little one was born at 8 pounds 4 oz and he was in NB clothes ( and some 0-3) or the first 3 weeks.  Then he went to offically to 0-3 month size and was there until he hit 3 months.  At 3 months he went into 3-6 month sizes and was there until he hit 6 months. 

I honestly only had 2 NB outfits when LO was born, so I sent DH out to get a few more.  He mainly bought some Carters sleep and plays which is what LO lived in for the first month.    i had this idea in my head that once baby comes we would never go to another store again.  Wrong, we were in and out of BRU and Target 2-3 times even in the first couple weeks.  So, if you need to buy more clothes you will have clothing available to buy. 

Finally, if you are worried about seasons change of seasons remember this.  A short sleeve onsies can always have a long sleeve onesie underneath.  So if you get somethng and it is not quite warm enough yet (spring to summer) or it is to cold (summer to fall) the Carters long sleeve white onesies are awesome!

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    PS- if you poll the ladies on the 0-3 month board you and ask them how big their baby was and what size were in when they were born....you may find that NB sizes and 0-3 sizes are needed more then you thought.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I have bought a decent amount of clothes already. As soon as I found out I was having a girl I started. I've gotten different sizes of stuff. There were such good black Friday and after Christmas sales I couldn't resist. Plus I'm picking out what I like and having fun! 

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Options
    I agree with your family.  You really don't know what size your DC will be in what season. It's really hard to buy ahead for infants.  And, you will get tons from friends/family before/after baby is born. I usually just buy a take home outfit and for #1 I bought some gender neutral sleepers in NB size.  I needed something to do after baby was born and we were ready to get out of the house anyway.  I did my shopping then and still found lots of deals. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

After finding out the gender I just had to buy SOMETHING because I was so excited to start looking.  Limiting myself to a couple of outfits though, as I know we will bombarded with clothes (this is the first grandkid for both sides of the family) and I'll regret buying any more.  I got things that were 3 mo and 6 months and on mega sale - that was my validation!!

I say go for it!  Just don't go overboard (which is extremely easy to do!).  

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We only bought our going home outfit, a couple of cute hats & outfits.  We got 3 large boxes of clothes from my MIL & every baby gift we've gotten has included clothes.  We even have some that are 9 - 12 months.  We won't need to by anything until she gets to be about 9 months old.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options

We bought one pack of onesies and that is it. I'm waiting until after my shower and until after I receive some promised hand-me-downs to buy the rest.

imageimageimage
  • Options

With DS, we  bought essentially a years worth of wardrobe....NB-12months. The issue we ran into was what size we bought didn't always match up with the season. The other thing is he was 7lb 12oz but only 191/4 inches. NB clothes were huge on him. We thought like many of PP in that 0-3 made more sense so most of his first clothes were that size so that's mostly what still had tag attached.

For our new LO we found out we're having a girl. I found a ton of stuff at Goodwill the 1st 6 months is basically summer so I just concentrated on little summer outfits/dresses. Onesies are something that I'd only buy new, mainly due to shrinkage so they are rarely true to size when bought used. While regular clothes can be that way,too I find it hard to find used onesies that are still in good condition without stains and aren't nappy.

• Options
    I have bought a few things on sale... nothing major... a few onesies, a sleep sack...  but since we don't know what we are having, it is a bit difficult to plan and buy sale stuff...  one of the downsides, but still doesn't outweigh it for me in my mind.  :)  I figure after my shower, I'll sort through what I have and see what I still need. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    My DD was literally in 0-3 until she was 6 months old. This summer she actually wore 3-6 shorts because she's so flippin' skinny. So we really used all seasons of those little clothes that everyone told me not to buy. I say buy a few things you like in sizes you find. It isn't going to matter what size you pick because something is going to get left with tags on. It's just how it goes. If shopping for the stuff and picking it out gets you excited go for it! This poor child is getting all hand me downs because I'm not in the mood to baby shop, but if the urge strikes I will pick up something cute in the future. (oh and half the stuff I got for gifts was NMS and ended up being left in the bottom of the drawe anyway!!)
  • Options

imageaddison_clark:
    Its never too early to shop! ;)  I would just recommend not buying too much of the 0-3 month clothing.  They wear it for such a short amount of time and that is typically the size people gift you with.

I 100% disagree that you can't shop too early.  If the clothes are not suitable for the weather your newborn will be experiencing then what's the point?  Plus babies all grow differently and may not fit the clothes you buy now for next season (ie if I were to go on sizing alone, this year I might buy a snow suit on sale for a 9-12 month old for next year, but my baby might be huge and into 18-24 month clothes by the time winter rolls around).  

Buying cute outfits is exciting and fun, but you literally have a lifetime to do it.  Don't waste your money today when you could spend it as you need it in the future.. Start shopping at least after 30 weeks, you can hold out for two more months can't you? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageDO-JO:

imageaddison_clark:

I 100% disagree that you can't shop too early.  If the clothes are not suitable for the weather your newborn will be experiencing then what's the point?  Plus babies all grow differently and may not fit the clothes you buy now for next season (ie if I were to go on sizing alone, this year I might buy a snow suit on sale for a 9-12 month old for next year, but my baby might be huge and into 18-24 month clothes by the time winter rolls around).  

Buying cute outfits is exciting and fun, but you literally have a lifetime to do it.  Don't waste your money today when you could spend it as you need it in the future.. Start shopping at least after 30 weeks, you can hold out for two more months can't you? 

How do you have a better guess at 30 weeks than any other time. By your logic you might as well wait until the baby arrives and buy as you go. Which is a fine option but if a person wants to buy while pregnant you have just as good chance of guessing size at 14 weeks as you do at 40.
  • Options
    imageNewkid2012:
    imageDO-JO:

imageaddison_clark:

How do you have a better guess at 30 weeks than any other time. By your logic you might as well wait until the baby arrives and buy as you go. Which is a fine option but if a person wants to buy while pregnant you have just as good chance of guessing size at 14 weeks as you do at 40.

no, but if you wait until you are further along, you have a better chance at returning things in the 90 day window that might me to small.  If you wait until later to shop, and then all of the sudden have a ten pound baby, you have time to return the new born baby clothes.  If you buy the stuff at week 14, you are stuck with what you got and most likely won't be able to return things.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Just a tip: If you purchase stuff from Carter's, you can return/exchange anytime (with original sales receipt). They don't have a time limit. I have purchased several items from there and I just make sure to keep the receipt in an envelope in a safe place so if anything has to go back, it's not an issue. 

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"