Stay at Home Moms
Options

healthy peanut butter

DH is a peanut butter addict. He actually gets a spoonful and eats it straight as a snack. One day he started giving DS his own many spoonful when he has one and now I have two peanut butter addicts. DS LOVES it and I like that it is a good protein since we don't have meat every day in our home. DH actually found a study that said pepole who have 2 spoonfuls of peanut butter daily were better able to meet the Recommended Daily Allowance for vitamins and nutrients. Ok, so I'm cool with the new "addiction" then.

BUT some peanut butters really are not filled with the best stuff. My old store had the big tubs of peanut butter that you get to put into a container yourself. That stuff tasted AWESOME and was basically a healthy oil and peanuts. It was so natural and tasty. YUM! When we switched to a new store we started buying their in store bulk peanut butter, I figured it was th same thing. I just looked on the tag yesterday and realized that the new stores has sugar and honestly it is not very creamy and good. Should I bite the bullet and go back to my old store every week to just buy the peanut butter? It is the fresh stuff so you really can't buy it in HUGE bulks months ion advance. 

I know it seems crazy but DH and DS eat so much of it I want it to be the best one possible. Or do you have a store brand that you recommended? I tried a few that were more healthy and they tasted grainy and off...I don't know how my old store got theirs so smooth, perfect, and natural all in one! UGH, but we used to spend so much more at that store so I really can't do all my shopping at the old store and it is such a pain to go and get just the peanut butter. BUT I will if i have to because that stuff was the bomb!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

Re: healthy peanut butter

• Options
    We buy organic peanut butter from WF or sun butter.  DH & DS love peanut butter too.  I try to stick to the regular organic peanut butter.  
    April 2009
  • Options

I switched to Barney Butter over a year ago, and haven't looked back.  And I LOOOOOVED peanut butter.  BB is the best almond butter I've ever tasted, and it seriously tastes almost EXACTLY like peanut butter.  DD loves it, although I call it peanut butter just to keep it simple.  You should buy a jar and give a spoonful to your DH.  There's a good chance he won't even notice the difference.

If you're going to stick to peanut butter, just make sure that it doesn't have sugar, partially hydrogenated anything, or HFCS.  I think Skippy is one of the worst ones you can buy, health wise (I only know this because I was going to use a coupon for it once to make it free, and then looked at the label.  Yuck.)

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been buying Adam's All Natural Peanut butter. The ingredients are literally peanuts LOL We swapped because DH is a peanut butter addict also. But I Love it too, it tastes so good. And you can buy it at pretty much any grocery store, even Walmart. 
    __________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers  
  • Options
    If you have a brand you like I don't understand the issue of buying it monthly.  Who cares if you go to another store just to buy it.  It sounds like your family eats enough to make it worth it.
  • Options

I would go to a store just to buy one thing. I actually do this all the time. I really like this one salsa at Trader Joe's, and I go there all the time just to buy that. I don't really do much other shopping there, otherwise.

Peanut butter is amazing. I was surprised to learn recently that peanuts are a complete protein. When I was having awesome m/s in first tri, I would eat peanut butter by the spoonful everyday. 

Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • Options
    I usually buy Adam's All-Natural... look at the ingredients to be sure, though, because Adam's makes several varieties.  I buy it because it's sold at most major stores.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageDeblondie1:
    I've been buying Adam's All Natural Peanut butter. The ingredients are literally peanuts LOL We swapped because DH is a peanut butter addict also. But I Love it too, it tastes so good. And you can buy it at pretty much any grocery store, even Walmart. 

I love this kind!! My DH gets the chunky organic peanut butter f/ Whole Foods when possible..

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If you love the one kind that much I would just figure out how much you need and how long it will stay fresh and go to that store just for that. Try to spread out the times you have to go there as long as possible or maybe this is something DH can do on the way home from work when its time to buy more.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"