November 2011 Moms
Options

adding rice cereal to formula....

...has saved my sanity!

My LO was a preemie (35w6d) and had trouble with spitting up from the beginning. We have mostly just dealt with it (changing his clothes--and often ours--multiple times a day, having lots of bibs and burp cloths handy, etc) but yesterday the pedi told me to try adding rice cereal to his bottles, one teaspoon per ounce of formula.

He has all but stopped spitting up!!!!

He seems so much happier and more satisfied with his feedings too, probably because more of it is staying in his tummy.  I was reluctant to try it because I always thought of rice "cereal" as a solid food and I know that's a no-no before like 4 months or so, but it's really more like a powder and it dissolves quite easily in the bottles, it just makes the formula a bit thicker.

So if your LO is spitting up, ask your pedi about adding rice cereal.  It really is a life saver for us :)

Re: adding rice cereal to formula....

• Options
    I'm glad to hear that it's working well for your little guy! Just a heads up - rice cereal can cause constipation and make baby very uncomfortable until the baby's body gets used to it. I'd recommend getting some oatmeal cereal too and alternating it with the rice. Our pedi made that suggestion to us and it's been working out pretty well. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We tried that with my nephew and while it helped with the throwing up it made him very constipated so we ended up switching to the Enfamil AR formula (it has rice starch added so its thicker than regular formula) which was much better. If you haven't already tried that you may want to because it is much easier on their tummy than the actual rice cereal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well it's been a couple days and no constipation yet so fingers crossed :) I tried the Similac spit up formula and it didn't seem to help much. It's the same as Enfamil AR I think. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"