Pre-School and Daycare

moms of girls - hair questions

I feel like such a dork - doing my DD's hair is a total nightmare.  Her hair is so fine and smooth, I can't grab it all in one hand and comb it nicely to put into a ponytail - so she ends up with these messy ponytails.  Is there some trick here that I'm missing??? 
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: moms of girls - hair questions

• The only way I can get DD's smooth is to spray it down with water and then use a very fine tooth comb to brush it back.  Piggy tails seem to be easier to do, maybe because its less hair to deal with.  Most of the time she just rocks the slightly messy ponytail!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Yup, the key to doing fine hair is to get it wet first.  That is the only way to do any style with fine hair.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageshellybird101:
    Yup, the key to doing fine hair is to get it wet first.  That is the only way to do any style with fine hair.

but doesn't that damage the hair?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I always spray my DD's hair down with water, too. I don't think it damages it - the ponytail isn't that tight that it's breaking the hair. I usually do a little braid or barrette or something in the front of the hair to keep some of the baby hair off her face because that always pops out of the ponytail. 

• imageKathrynMD:

imageshellybird101:
    Yup, the key to doing fine hair is to get it wet first.  That is the only way to do any style with fine hair.

but doesn't that damage the hair?

DD's hair is an awkward length right now, and since she takes clips out, her hair has to go up every day. It is fine and wavy and often frizzy, so I have found that spray in detangler works better than just water. It helps prevent snagging when combing and pulling it up.
  • Try the Paul Mitchell skinny serum. My 4 year old has very fine hair and this product has helped tremendously. Not to mention, it smells great.
    Three beautiful girls! DD#1 8-23-01 DD#2 4-25-07 DD#3 10-19-10
  • I also spray on some detangler.  It makes it so much easier.  Plus we use the tiny, clear Goody hairbands so it's much easier to get it held in place pretty tightly.
  • My DD doesn't have fine hair but she has a ton of hair that's hard to control with out her twisting away. I like using a baby brush when I'm putting it all up, it smooths it out with out pulling.
    My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have an easier time with DD1's hair because it's so long. I brush it first, then smooth it into a ponytail or pigtails with my hands -- otherwise she ends up with ridges of hair from the brush. 

DD2's drives me crazy because even though she has quite a bit of hair , it's not all that long and it's super fine and hard to manage. DH sprays it with detangler and brushes it into a ponytail, and he tends to tie it much tighter that I do -- I'm okay with messy, looser ponytails/pigtails, maybe because it bugs me if my own hair is tied back too tightly! 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • We rarely do ponytales. It's not her best style. I bought some really nice clips with cute bows in an assortment of colors. Look for the silver clips with a curved spring, they work best. I like the look and it keeps her hair out of her eyes - perfect combo.
    My darling daughter just turned 4 years old.
  • I used to spray DD hair with detangler then use very small hair elastics.  I found that if I used larger ones, the piggies always fell out.  I also put barretts in her hair to keep it back and neat.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I add some conditioner to the water that I spray on DD's hair, but she has curly hair and needs all of the moisture she can get.  Wet + comb is ok, but don't use a brush.  For a long time, DD wore cheap headbands to school b/c of all of the fly aways she had up front from her hairline growing out.  They helped a lot. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"