2nd Trimester
Options

Imitation crab in sushi?

I know some people are going to say "everything in moderation is fine" or that some pregnant ladies eat sushi and whatnot. But I'm a first timer and am super paranoid. BUT (to the point) is imitation crab meat okay to have as a replacement in sushi??

BEAN *06/29/2012*

Re: Imitation crab in sushi?

• Options
    I have had it once since being pregnant. It isn't even real crab and it is fully cooked, so I would say you are just fine. Enjoy your sushi! I would love some right now.

DS - Born 6/17/12 

DS#2 - Due 2/11/15

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    eat sushi. Crab is fully cooked, and I doubt Japanese women are giving up thier sushi when pregnant. just don't go overboard, obviously.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My Friend said that she ate Sushi a couple of times during her PG and her Daughter came out fine.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would LOVE some sushi right now, but my dr. said no sushi. Crying
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would think it's okay to eat.  Now I want a california roll!   

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    My doc said sushi is fine, even with the raw fish since I've always eaten it. Imitation crab wld be fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I just checked this out the other day. It's cooked and it's made from Pollack which is a low mercury fish. So it's OK!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have a California roll about once a week. It's cooked and crab is fine to eat so it's all good just stay away from the raw fish.

• Options
    I ate sushi at least once a week when I was pregnant with my son and he's totally OK.  Of course, none of it was every raw fish.  I still dont' eat much raw.  I just don't enjoy those as much.  I DID get roe on some sushi a few times, but never worried enough to send it back. I just tried to remember for the next time I ate there to ask for that roll without roe (it wasn't listed in the description on the menu and I'd never had roe on that roll before so it was a total surprise the first time I ate it there).  This time I haven't had much sushi but I"m craving it hard core.  I'm picky though and will be waiting until a friend can go with me that won't mind that the hibachi there sucks since she'll only be eating sushi too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It had to be a sushi thread that made me finally contribute to this board! 

Anyway, here's my two cents:

An avid sushi enthusiast, I was having a really hard time not giving in to my one and only craving -- sushi!  So I did some research.  I found what most of you PPs have already stated, "Japanese women do it all the time", "everything in moderation", etc.  My doctor's main concern was the possibility of a parasitic infection caused by uncooked sushi.  I got to reading about the whole sushi process and it turns out that a lot of the fish used in sushi/sashimi is flash-frozen.  The flash-freezing process apparently kills parasites just like cooking would.  When sushi restaurants get their orders in, a large majority of their fish comes in frozen and thawed onsite.  The way I figure, if the fish arrives frozen, there is a decreased likelihood of pathogen growth.  If it arrives fresh, or already thawed, chances are higher that there was mishandling and there was an opportunity for pathogen growth.  Of course, there is always a chance that the fish can be mishandled onsite but if you have a trusted, A-rated sushi place this shouldn't be a problem.

I had some chirashi just last week after I called ahead and spoke to the manager.  I verified which fish had arrived frozen vs. fresh/thawed and was able to enjoy some lovely sashimi cuts of yellowtail and albacore, along with cooked shrimp. 

I think if we are so concerned about foodborne illness, we should refrain from eating out completely, not just pick on sushi!

Hope that helps...

Here are some articles:

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/15/opinion/15shaw.html

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/nutrition/foodsafety/sushiexpert/

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I still eat sushi, just nothing raw. 
    In fact, I'm getting sushi on Friday with my brother!! 

I LOVE Philli Rolls!! Smoked Salmon & Cream Cheese with Avocado!! Mmmm!! Delicious!!!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersPhotobucket
  • Options

Imitation crab is made from pollock, and other stuff to make it "crabby".

Pollock is safe, it's a whitefish.

For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Imitation crab is fine since it is cooked fish. Plus the amount that you'd eat in a sushi roll is negligible.

However, the choice to eat raw fish sushi is not one to be taken lightly and is completely your own decision. Some will say "I ate it and my kid is fine." But I could say "I didn't wear my seatbelt on the highway the other day and I was fine." It's all about the level of risk that you are comfortable with and that is a personal choice for each person.

My BFF got scombroid poisoning from a very high end DC restaurant after eating raw tuna sushi. She ended up extremely sick in the hospital. Thankfully she was not pregnant, but it was really scary.

I'm avoiding raw fish sushi while being pg, but fully intend on enjoying a spicy tuna roll in the hospital after delivery!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageRuby412:

However, the choice to eat raw fish sushi is not one to be taken lightly and is completely your own decision. Some will say "I ate it and my kid is fine." But I could say "I didn't wear my seatbelt on the highway the other day and I was fine." It's all about the level of risk that you are comfortable with and that is a personal choice for each person.

This.  It's the same as with the risk in lunch meat...not an "everything in moderation" food.  You either get listeria/food poisoning or you don't.  While the risk is very, very slim it's not one that is worth my baby. 

My MW says to avoid the common foods (lunch meat, unpasturized food, etc) and said to avoid sushi with raw fish but that anything with cooked meat/veggies is just fine.  I have had cooked sushi while pregnant, but then I got to thinking that it's all probably prepared in the same area with the same tools are the raw fish so.....

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I still eat (raw) sushi now and then when I really have a craving.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"