Texas Babies

OB/GYN Recommendations

Hello!

I am looking for a great OB/GYN in the NE or Downtown San Antonio area.

Ideally:

Female

Very prompt with appointment schedule

Able to pay out of pocket on a payment plan (as I am an independent contractor without maternity coverage)

Will be there to deliver the baby (someone who's not on vacation all the time)

Not C-section crazy...unless of course absolutely necessary.

Any recommendations??  Thank you in advance!!

Re: OB/GYN Recommendations

• Has anyone been to Dr. Angela Akonye?
  • I love LOVE Dr Angeline Williams, she is in the Med Center though.  She only delivers at Methodist.  She delivered my LO but she does share call with 6 or so other Obs.  She is in practice with herself and has 1 nurse, very personal experience.  I always was able to get in and see her with very little wait time and she paid attention to my concerns and worries.  I am not sure about a payment plan. I paid a portion at one of my first appts and then by 28 weeks I paid the rest off.  I know she is not into C Sections unless medically necessary.  

I do not know much about Dr Akonye, I have been on deliveries with her (I am a NICU RN and she delivered at the hospital I use to work at) she seemed nice.  That is all I can tell you about her.  

• Loading the player...
  • I see Dr. Jacobs with Lonestar OB/gyn  in the medical center.  She delivers at Methodist and St. Lukes.  She is generally very prompt with appointments though there was one time last pregnancy where I did have a bit of a wait but that was due to her delivering one of her patients.   She says she delivers 80% of her patients.    I really like that she is the only doctor you see during your pregnancy but you do take a chance that another doctor in the practice may be the one to deliver you if she isn't available.  

I really like that nothing seems to phase her and she was very open to most of my requests.   When I brought her my birth plan we went over it and she okayed the whole thing but did explain which situations she may have to deviate from it.  I'm not sure about payment plans, but you could call her office and talk to her billing person. 

• I love Dr. Nancy Finney at Four Seasons OBGYN in the medical center area. They offer 25% self-pay discount, allow me to pay them for labwork (savings) and the contract for prenatal care and her delivery charges was broken up over 6+ monthly payments (I think it was under $2500). 

Excellent bedside manner and great office atmosphere. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I see Shannon Gallagher at Seven Oaks Women's Center in the Medical Center and I really do like her.  They are good on their appt. times.  They also delivery out of Methodist Hospital.  I don't know about the self pay cause I have insurance through my work.  When I asked her about delivering the baby she said as long as it was Monday-Friday it would be her, they do shifts on the weekends, but a friend of mine sees Heidi Heck in the same office and she loves her as well.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I see Dr. Jane Atkerson with Women Partners. She delivers at Stone Oak Baptist. I'm not sure if they offer a payment plan, but I'm sure they would work with you if you ask. I've been really happy with her thus far!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagestm2011:
    Has anyone been to Dr. Angela Akonye?

I've heard she can be mean but that she's a good doctor. I've also been told by family members in the medical field that the Santa Rosa on 151 where she delivers still has a lot of kinks to work out still and I've been advised to not deliver there.

I have also seen Dr. Atkerson and liked her okay. My SIL loves her but I just didn't feel like our personalities clicked.

I've heard wonderful things about seven oaks and I plan on going there when I get pregnant again. 

• imagenattn:

imagestm2011:
    Has anyone been to Dr. Angela Akonye?

I've heard she can be mean but that she's a good doctor. I've also been told by family members in the medical field that the Santa Rosa on 151 where she delivers still has a lot of kinks to work out still and I've been advised to not deliver there.

I have also seen Dr. Atkerson and liked her okay. My SIL loves her but I just didn't feel like our personalities clicked.

I've heard wonderful things about seven oaks and I plan on going there when I get pregnant again. 

Just wanted to chime in with the Santa Rosa comment...I didn't deliver there and don't know anyone who has but my pedi is the Chief of Pediatrics there and she also mentioned that they do not have a NICU yet.  I didn't expect to need that but we did and I was so thankful that we delivered at Methodist!

I also go to Seven Oaks and I see Dr. Christine Delagarza.  She's great!   I delivered at 5 am and the dr that delivered my son was the one who was on call for their practice but he was great, very sweet.  The next few days in the hospital, I saw two of Delagarza's partners and they were awesome (Dr. Heck and Dr. Gallagher).  My son had an unexpected diagnosis after birth and each of the drs who came to check on me that weekend sat with us and let me cry.  I'll be a patient there forever.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I saw Dr. Mayo form Mayo Women's Health Clinic on Howard. 

She's great. I had to be transferred to maternal-fetal medicine team due to a high risk pregnancy, but was sad to leave. She's friendly patient and super caring of her mommy patients. 

BabyFruit Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image image IAmPregnant Ticker
  • imagealimartinez:

I love Dr. Nancy Finney at Four Seasons OBGYN in the medical center area. They offer 25% self-pay discount, allow me to pay them for labwork (savings) and the contract for prenatal care and her delivery charges was broken up over 6+ monthly payments (I think it was under $2500). 

Excellent bedside manner and great office atmosphere. 

I also love her, but know if she is not on call when you go into labor she will not be delivering your child.

Something that personally wasnt a big deal, but I wasn't expecting and was never told this was the case 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mark 14:52

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"