Dallas-Fort Worth Babies
Options

Hunting While Pregnant...

I posted on the first tri board, but figured I'd get a better response posting for my fellow Texans to answer:

Is there anyone on here who have gone hunting while pregnant. I have really been opposed to it, but with dove season just opened and deer season around the corner....I am getting the fever to go. I have been hunting my whole life, and am a Texan. But I am scared to death it will harm the baby...basically just the noise is what I am concerned about....obviously I don't plan on getting shot or anything stupid :-) I honestly am leaning towards not going because I don't want to risk anything...but I just wanted other peoples take.

Re: Hunting While Pregnant...

• Options
    IM GOING HOG HUNTING NEXT WEEKEND. I DONT SEE A PROBLEM WITH IT :)
  • Options
    We googled shooting guns while pregnant when I first got pregnant because DH and I often went to the gun range, and we didn't like what we read. I know the internet is full of all kinds of crap, so I'd just ask your doc, honestly. But based on the google crazy stuff, we opted for me NOT to shoot guns while pregnant.
    -Kimberly :)Blog Chart Baby Blog
    Furbabies Ribby, JJ, Bella, Hunter
    imageimage
    My little Minion!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't recommend it because of the noise, but I would ask your doc.
  • Options
    I love it!!!! Haha! I was just telling my husband I wanted to go and do this. since I haven't been. Have fun!! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    IMHO, i don't think that shooting guns while you are so early pregnant will be a big deal. You aren't going to be walking around with an AK-47 that'll be going off all day. You may see a deer. You may shoot a couple of times. Or you may not see anything and be that person sitting in a tree or blind or whatever you use. I did. I'm ok and DD passed her newborn hearing screen. Just saying.
  • Options
    I was more under the impression that the exposure to the lead from the ammunition was the issue...not so much the noise. Google was full of all kinds of crap, from lead to sound/pressure waves traveling through the body (not so much the actual sound), so I would just defer to your doc, honestly. But I've heard plenty of women who shot frequently in gun ranges (like women police officers) and were just fine. 
    -Kimberly :)Blog Chart Baby Blog
    Furbabies Ribby, JJ, Bella, Hunter
    imageimage
    My little Minion!
  • Options
    Ah, another good East Texas girl (I'm in Southlake/Keller now, but I still claim East Texas as home)!  I'm going to my family's ranch in 2 weeks for a hunting trip, and while I'm 30 weeks pregnant and shouldn't be climbing into a tree stand, I'm still going for the fresh air and enjoyment of God's beautiful creation.  Your doctor should be able to tell you if there are concerns, but from what my doc has said, babies in utero are amazingly resilient to among other things noise (remember, they're pushed up right next to your loudly beating heart, so noise is almost what they're used to - one reason newborns are comforted by the sound of things like vaccum cleaners).  We are a family of bowhunters, so this isn't a concern for me, but as I said, not being able to climb into a tree stand is my reason for not hunting this year.  Just be smart about walking around in the woods (stepping carefully so as to not fall), making sure the gun you're using is secure against your shoulder and not in the vicinity of your growing belly, making sure you don't hunt alone and keeping your hands washed.  Enjoy the season and the fresh air!  It as well as the peace and beauty of the world are good and healthy for both mom and baby!
  • Options

I'm actually really surprised by all the great responses you got and that you didn't receive a single negative one, or women telling you something is wrong with you wanting to hunt while pregnant, or that hunting is wrong, etc... So what a relief!

I'm all for hunting and from my own experience, I don't see anything wrong with hunting while pregnant. As a few others mentioned... just don't go around climbing into tree stands, or in and out of ditches and keep your hands cleaned! Do not go by yourself, and let the other people in your group clean the animal just so that you are not infected with anything the animal has that might pass to your child.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry about the sounds of gun shot. Good luck and enjoy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Shot and killed my first buck while pregnant with my first daughter :) I was 12 weeks. Go hunting! :) good luck!
  • Options
    I love firearms. my main concern with them isnt noise so much as lead. if you google shooting guns while pregnant or variations of that, you can find precautions you can take to keep your exposure to lead to a minimum, as well as precautions you can take to reduce the noise the fetus is exposed to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"