Postpartum Depression

Celexa and BF

I am worried about getting PPD.  I have been on antidepressants on and off for years.  I went off the Celexa in my second trimester because I heard of 3rd trimester risks.  I was on the lowest dose, and have been feeling pretty well overall.  But I am still worried about PPD and want to be prepared just in case.  I am due in 3 weeks. 

Does anyone on here take Celexa and BF?  I would really like to BF.  Although if my depression were to come back strongly, I would FF if I had to.

Layla 01.08.12

Chloe and Vivian 07.23.13

My Gang.  Halloween 2013

Re: Celexa and BF

• I was BF when diagnosed with PPD. I spoke with my psychiatrist about the risks of staying on it while BF and there just was not enough information on the harms of it for BF infants for my taste. The main side effect for infants was increased sleepiness, but it's not been widely studied. So, I made the decision to discontinue BF because I didn't want to expose LO to "the unknown."

On the other hand though, I do know several women who did BF while on Celexa with no issues. But for me, I was not comfortable with it. On top of that, it was very frustrating trying to BF for us, since he would not latch properly and he was losing too much weight. It was a good thing for us to switch to formula. 

I know this is not the most encouraging news, but I wanted to share because I am also on Celexa.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you:)

Layla 01.08.12

My Gang.  Halloween 2013

• Loading the player...
  • I am BF and on Celexa. Got diagnosed with PPD at 5 weeks and OB said it was fine to take.  I'm on 20 mg.  I was extremely worried about taking it based on the transfer rate but from what I researched, the main side effect is drowsiness in infants where they don't want to eat very much. So far that hasn't been an issue.  She's awake and eating all day!  I am very worried about weaning off though.  I hear it is a nightmare. I was already a very anxious person before pregnancy and going on the meds and I'm worried it is going to get even worse coming off.   
    E 7/2009, K 11/2011, M 5/2013

• Wean off very, very slowly.  That's what I did in my second trimester.  Half a pill every day for 2 weeks, then a quarter for 2 weeks, then every 2 days for 2 weeks.  It helped make it easier.  And Celexa was so much easier to wean off then Paxil, which I had taken years ago.

Layla 01.08.12

My Gang.  Halloween 2013

• imageSascha3:
    Wean off very, very slowly.  That's what I did in my second trimester.  Half a pill every day for 2 weeks, then a quarter for 2 weeks, then every 2 days for 2 weeks.  It helped make it easier.  And Celexa was so much easier to wean off then Paxil, which I had taken years ago.

Thank you!!!  I feel better now. Smile

E 7/2009, K 11/2011, M 5/2013

• I'm on 40mg Celexa, and have been BFing for 7 months.  It made me nervous, but after speaking to my OB, psychiatrist, and his pediatrician, we all decided it was the best thing to do.  I had actually decided to wean around 2 months, and his pedi talked me out of it.  I am so glad I didn't, and I really think it helped me keep going. 

My son is happy, healthy, growing like a weed, and is all smiles!  

ttf21e9.aspx

ttf2202.aspx

• Sascha,

I took my Celexa during my pregnancy. I went down from 40mg to 20mg though. I tried going off it early in my pregnancy and it was a disaster. I'm still taking it now and am BFing. I'm actually wondering if I need to increase back to 40mg because I'm having some increased anxiety and depression, though I don't know if that is PPD or just related to lack of sleep/adjusting to being a new mom/hormone changes, etc. My OB is the one who encouraged me to get back on the Celexa early on and LO is perfectly healthy. I also have a friend who took Celexa with both of her pregnancies and her kids are perfectly healthy as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"