Postpartum Depression

Depression while pregnant and after?

How many of you were suffering from depression while you were pregnant and now dealing with postpartum depression?  Did any of you go on medication while pregnant and notice that you're doing better now that you've had your baby?

I'm struggling with the decision to go back on medications (trying talk therapy etc.) and one of the main things that makes me think I should go back on is my odds of postpartum.  If there are things I can do now (like going back on meds) to prevent, or at least make it better, I'd like to do it rather than have regrets.

Just wondering what decisions you made, if you struggled while pregnant also etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Depression while pregnant and after?

• I just responded to your 2nd tri post, but I wanted to let you know that since my PPD was so bad last pregnancy I requested that I be put on the lowest dosage of zofran in the hospital and then I could increase or decrease based on what I felt my needs were. I do struggle with heavy mood swings while pregnant, but I'm not sure what's normal hormonal stuff and chemical depression. I have been tempted to get on meds during pregnancy, but I feel well enough that I haven't made that choice. My husband and I have a lot more problems during pregnancy, but I tend to think it's because he is typically more self absorbed and selfish and I'm usually ok with that, but when I'm pregnant I am much more concerned about myself and the baby I'm carrying and willing to to put up more of a fight for myself. he'd rather just say I'm crazy because it makes him feel better... He doesn't want me to be pregnant again, but we decided on three kids a long time ago and I'll be fighting for that as well :)

Keegan Patrick - Bilateral Clubfeet found at Anatomy Scan. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.facebook.com/portraitave

• Thanks Jessimurph... Did you mean Zoloft instead of Zofran?  Were you able to breastfeed while on Zoloft?  I know these are questions for my doctor (I see her in a week) but thought I'd ask since you've been through it.

Just nice to know that I'm not the only one dealing with this... ya know?  I pictured myself being this super happy, glowing pregnant lady (after the m/s wore off that is!) and instead I'm not liking being pregnant. 

Good for you for fighting for that baby and not letting your guy get to you!  I know they can't completely understand and there is a reason why women are the ones who carry the baby (we're far less selfish!) but it can be frustrating at times.  GL with your pregnancy and thanks for your support!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I am struggling with it right now. I chose to get off meds before I TTC and I don't want to be on meds while pregnant. The risk just isn't worth it to me.

As my pregnancy progresses we will see. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagesstrom22:

Thanks Jessimurph... Did you mean Zoloft instead of Zofran?  Were you able to breastfeed while on Zoloft?  I know these are questions for my doctor (I see her in a week) but thought I'd ask since you've been through it.

Just nice to know that I'm not the only one dealing with this... ya know?  I pictured myself being this super happy, glowing pregnant lady (after the m/s wore off that is!) and instead I'm not liking being pregnant. 

Good for you for fighting for that baby and not letting your guy get to you!  I know they can't completely understand and there is a reason why women are the ones who carry the baby (we're far less selfish!) but it can be frustrating at times.  GL with your pregnancy and thanks for your support!

I'm so sorry I confuse they two often :)  I did mean zoloft.  I was able to breastfeed while on zoloft.  Kellymom says it's the safest antidepressant to use while breastfeeding.  I was planning on getting on zoloft during this pregnancy because my OB recommended it, but right before I got pregnant I read about a class action lawsuit involving zoloft and birth defects.

Keegan Patrick - Bilateral Clubfeet found at Anatomy Scan. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.facebook.com/portraitave

• I'm also pg and struggled with anxiety and depression prior to conception.  I was only on ativan as needed for anxiety attacks, but it cannot be taken in pregnancy.  I had my depression well under control otherwise with a combination of diet/excercise/therapy.  But after bedrest for 14 weeks, and hyperemesis I got way off track and the depression returned.

I do not trust anti depressants and pg, despite what is said about the few they are still allowing.  I've been researching like mad to find help holistically, I am terified of getting ppd.  I've read that taking omega-3 during pregnancy and after helps to prevent onset of ppd, and bf'ing does too.  So I've been taking omega-3 supplement and drinking soy milk instead of cow milk.  Don't know if it will work, but it's worth a shot.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had PPD after I had my son. I was in a bit of denial about it and didn't take any meds. I eventually got better, but I wish I had done more at the time. 

Ater suffering a miscarriage I suffered from major panic attacks which quickly lead to some major depression. I started taking an antidepressant , but then got pregnant ( of course when we weren't really trying) and I had to come off the Effexor quickly. Depression hit me pretty hard during this pregnancy. I did a ton of research, talked to a ton of people and asked all my doctors. Finally around 10 weeks along I started the lowest dose of prozac. I really wrestled with it. Ater about 6 weeks on it I wasn't feeling much better, in fact I actually think I felt worse. My doctor just keep saying to increase my dose, but I didn't want to do that. So I came off. I have really struggled with depression every single day during this whole pregnancy. I haven't enjoyed it as I know I should. For that I am sad.  For me it has gotten better as the pregnancy has progressed. I also am going to a therapist who deals with pregnancy related depression too. It helps some, but mostly I think it is all a chemical imbalance due to pregnancy. So far my baby is healthy. She is due in one month. I'm glad that I was able to not be medicated for most of this pregnancy, but if you need to take something please do. ALL of my doctors were ok with it. I plan of starting Effexor right after I deliver my little girl, as a means of preventing PPD and getting my normal mind back fully. Best of luck to you. Just know you are not alone.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was on abilify for a cyclic mood disorder when I found out I was pregnant. I stopped it when I got my bfp. I made it to the second tri before starting zoloft. They increased that twice now. Due to complications I'm now on bedrest. I also have to take ativan because the benefits outweighs the risk. When I start to contract the more anxious I get and throw myself into preterm labor. I feel like a failure for exposing him to all these meds, but he needs his mom to survive this. I see a counselor every week to help. If you ever need to talk PM me. I post on high risk mostly. ETA correcting phone auto correct

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Missed MC 11/17/10 Our little miracle born 1/27/12 Natural MC 7/19/12 Missed MC 1/22/13 Our family is complete DD 12/27/13
    Abnormal ANA, PAI-1 4G/4G homozygous

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks ladies... it is definitely nice to know I'm not alone!  I have started seeing a counselor (had to find a new one and I live in a rural area so that was difficult...) and praying that this gets better.  If it doesn't, I am prepared to go on Zoloft again and my doctor is on board for that.  

Thank you for all of your stories and support.  I really appreciate it! 

BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm 25 weeks pregnant..and as I've progressed in my pregnancy I've found myself more depressed.  All I have seem to do the past couple of weeks is cry. I haven't even started on the nursery. I can't even bring myself to buy anything for him. I panic when I go into the baby isle. Is this normal? I feel so guilty for not embracing my pregnancy. I feel like I'm a horrible mom already because I haven't done a thing and or been happy about it.  My pregnancy started out horrible..we thought he had a cystic hygroma and we thought we were gonna lose him. Then I had a cvs and found out hes normal. Ever since then...I think I have been on a down slope of depression. Now I feel its even worse, I cry, I panic, I don't know what to buy for him, I don't know if I will even know what to do. I"m 39 years old for Gods sake what is wrong with me????  Does anyone else feel like this? Is it just me? Am I crazy? What is wrong with me?
  • Hello mmakinson,

I just wanted to write to let you know that you are not alone.  It sounds like you are having some depression and I truly believe that you would benefit from seeing a therapist.  You don't have to suffer! I am about 11 weeks pregnant for the first time and this was an unplanned pregnancy and I have had such a difficult time being excited.  I worry that I will be one of those mothers that can't bond with their child.  I am constantly worried about something being wrong with the baby or that I am hurting him/her some how.  I work myself up so much that I am crying and incredibly depressed but too embarrassed to tell my SO or family how I am feeling.  I worried that they will think I am a terrible person.  I am also incredibly nervous about suffering from postpartum depression.  I have been on medication for years for anxiety and depression.  When I found out I was pregnant, I tried to get off my meds but became very depressed and anxious and had to go back on.  This is the hardest part for me, that I don't know what this medication is doing to my baby.  Coming on this website and seeking advice proves that you are not a horrible mom but are going to be a great one.  It shows that you care so much already.  I think you could benefit from getting some help, talking these things out could really help.  It helps me - I see my therapist once a week now that I am pregnant.  Thanks for posting and letting me know that I am not alone.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"