Postpartum Depression

Guilt, Medicine, Nursing

I have been suffering from PPD for over a year.  I was in denial and felt extremely guilty so I finally decided to get help.  My doctor prescribed me Zoloft (50mg/day).  I do nurse my 15 month old DS 2-3 times a day.  I am extremely concerned.  I spoke to my doctor and DS's pediatrician but they reassured me that I don't need to worry about him being affected by the medicine. I feel so selfish and guilty for considering to completely stop nursing just so I can take medicine.

I was just wondering if any of you were taking this medicine and nursing. If so, did you noticed any changes with your baby after taking it? 

Re: Guilt, Medicine, Nursing

• I am dealing with a Zoloft related birth defect for my LO (due january) Because of this, personally, if I am back on zoloft after LO is born, I will stop BFing. They told me Zoloft was fine for the first 2 trim. of PG. And here I am with a cleft lip baby. I just dont trust that the meds wont effect LO during BFing, and dont trust the medical industry for this situation. Not enough research has been conducted to satisfy me.

Its only my opinion but I wont feel guilty if I end up with PPD/PPA again and have to switch to formula for safety.Zoloft withdrawls were very hard on me. I would feel truely bad if my LO ended up in Zoloft withdrawls once weaned off my BM later so i wont risk it.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience with the medicine. See, it's stuff like that the doctors won't tell you about.  I just don't want a doped up baby.  I will definitely completely wean before I start to take it. 

The lack of research is what caused me to ask other women.  I really appreciate you sharing your story with me. I hope all goes well with your delivery come January! 

• Loading the player...
  • imageKristine Schilling:

I am dealing with a Zoloft related birth defect for my LO (due january) Because of this, personally, if I am back on zoloft after LO is born, I will stop BFing. They told me Zoloft was fine for the first 2 trim. of PG. And here I am with a cleft lip baby. I just dont trust that the meds wont effect LO during BFing, and dont trust the medical industry for this situation. Not enough research has been conducted to satisfy me.

Its only my opinion but I wont feel guilty if I end up with PPD/PPA again and have to switch to formula for safety.Zoloft withdrawls were very hard on me. I would feel truely bad if my LO ended up in Zoloft withdrawls once weaned off my BM later so i wont risk it.

Stop spreading misinformation and scaring people. The risks of a serious untreated depression are very, very real and can be extremely harmful to a fetus and child. It is women like you that cause other women and children to suffer.
  • I nursed my son for 14 months before he weaned. I took Lexapro the entire time. He was a preemie and only 4lbs 10oz when I started the meds. We were under strict watch of my son's pedi, my OB and psychiatrist. They all agreed that any risk was minimal to him. He never showed any adverse signs due to my medications. The benefits to me were great though and by default helped my son. I believe he is a much more well adjusted, easy going kid because I was able to be a better Mom to him. It is a very personal choice but I will never regret taking the meds. Good luck to you. 
    PCOS dx 2008 | BFP #1 2/26/2009 with Metformin
    Owen Matthew 11/1/2009 4lbs 10oz 16.5in
    Born 5 weeks early by C/S | Severe Pre-Eclampsia
    BFP #2 5/1/2011 | M/C @ 7 weeks | D&C 5/25/2011
    TTC #2 | HSG Clear | SA 2% Morph otherwise great
    3 failed Femara/TI cycles moving on to IUI
  • I was nursing when I started Zoloft.  My OB, E's pediatrician and my lactation consultant were all very supportive.  Drug crossover during pregnancy and through breastmilk are very different.

Whatever you do, make sure you are comfortable with it - that is the most important part.  And if you start Zoloft and don't want to BF, know that your baby will get the benefit of a happy mother!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"