Postpartum Depression

Zoloft and Breastfeeding

I'm just looking for some validation and success stories.

After some discussions with my husband and doctor I decided that it would be best for everyone involved that I take something. She prescribed me 50mg of Zoloft. I'm breastfeeding and petrified. I've done 'dr.google' research but still nervous.

I've always been boarderline anxious/depressed but never sought help and all of these changes have really changed things.

What's the reality of what baby gets through breastmilk?

TIA for your stories and advice!

Re: Zoloft and Breastfeeding

• https://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/antidepressants-hale10-02.html

Great info here.  Zoloft is considered the best antidepressant for BFing mothers. 

BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
  • Yup, PP linked to a great resource.

in addition: my lactation consultant was very supportive when I started Zoloft.  She pulled out that HUUUGE book of medications and breastfeeding.  Zoloft was pretty good to go.

(fyi: i ended up quitting BF for other reasons, mainly the reflux my daughter was dealing with)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks Ladies! I was looking for something like that kelly mom link but wasn't finding it.

I did end up taking my first dose last night.

Cheers to feeling better!

• Wish I had seen this before I made my post!  I am also terrified too!  As I said in my post it has taken me over a year to finally get help.  My doctor and DD's pediatrician reassured me that zoloft is very safe.  I only nurse 2-3 times a day since DD is 15 months.  I may try to work a little harder on weaning him because I don't want him to be affected in any way.

Good luck!  It's nice to know I'm not alone. 

• imagelkstor:

https://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/antidepressants-hale10-02.html

Great info here.  Zoloft is considered the best antidepressant for BFing mothers. 

Thank you for this...  I was on Zoloft for years and realize now how well it was working for me.  Would like to go back on, but also want to bf so this was reassuring to read.  Thank you! 

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"