January 2012 Moms
Options

abnormal afp test results

My doctor's office just called me and told me that my afp quad screening test came back borderline (2.0-2.49 range). The doctor referred me to a second ultrasound to see if any markers for down's syndrome or neural tube defects can be found. My appointment for the ultrasound is at a major medical center which is over an hour away from my house. I am already being sent to the same hospital to see a surgeon on Oct. 3rd and now I'm going to get an ultrasound from the on another day. This is a little overwhelming and scary to a pregnant woman!
BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: abnormal afp test results

• Options

I'm going in for a second (level 2) ultrasound too based on my afp results. know that it is very likely that you will be REASSURED by this ultrasound rather than frightened....you might want to think about calling your doctor and talking with him a bit more to put the results in perspective. a lot of these tests seem designed to create the need for follow-up tests, in my opinion, and you have to remember that statistically your chances of having something really wrong are *very* slim. the ultrasound will likely give you peace of mind for the rest of the pregnancy.

hang in there! the important thing right now is to keep stress levels under control.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I probably would have felt better if it was actually my doctor who called but it was one of the nurse's from the office that told me the results. She couldn't really explain what the result meant other than that it was borderline and required follow up with a higher level ultrasound. She told me that the afp was a screening test not a diagnostic test and not to worry about anything until the ultrasound shows something (and if it doesn't, not to worry at all). I think I need to remember some of those deep breathing exercises and de-stress a little.
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you are going through this. I know it's so scary to hear anything remotely negative while pregnant but just know that this is probably more precautionary than anything else. You are in my thoughts and prayers that your LO is just fine and that you get to have an extra, more thorough peak!
    Check out our blog of Sofia's progress... www.FisforFam.blogspot.com Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image Visit The Nest! image
  • Options
    I'm sorry you are going through this. I hope everything turns out ok.
    GreenHood Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hey all, so glad i found this message board!! I too got the call about elevated AFP test results and was shocked and worried, (my doc didnt explain anything).  I have to go for my ultrasound in a couple of days, i live in Hawaii so I actually have to fly to another island!! I am still concerned but relieved that it looks like many of us will be fine, god willing!  I was wondering if anyone who had the ultrasound, was it an internal ultrasound or the over the belly one? Just out of curiosity..you are all in my prayers, take care!
    Happy Heather having a baby!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"