Illinois Babies

insurance question -help!

Hey everyone, I just found out that I am pregnant, probably about 6 weeks along as far as i can estimate. To make a long story short, I do not have health insurance coverage and neither me or my husband can get it through our work.  I know most health insurance companies won't cover maternity for 12 months from the date you sign up.  Does anyone have any suggestions for us?? Thank you
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: insurance question -help!

• Try the following plan and let me know if it works:

1.  Don't tell anyone yet you're pregnant.

2.  Join the Army right away.  Sign the shortest contract they have, a 1 year contract--They provide Tricare health insurance.

3.  Then, wait a couple months.

4.   Then, let everyone you know in the Army that you just found out you are pregnant.

5.  Get a pregnancy waiver and leave the Army based on the fact that you are pregnant.  They have to allow you to break your contract if you're pregnant.

5.  Tricare will still cover you for 6 months after you leave the Army.  This should get you through your pregnancy at least with health care insurance 

There is a risk--if you have a miscarriage, you may find yourself in Iraq.

------------------

Here is another plan:

Become a full-time student in a university.  They provide health insurance, and the tuition cost will be less than paying for the health care costs out of pocket.

--I hope that helps.

• Um, for some serious ideas...yes, if you are without coverage now, you will not be able to find private coverage for maternity care at this time.  I would say your 3 options are to pay out-of-pocket for prenatal/maternity expenses, investigate whether or not you qualify for Medicaid services based upon your income, and prepare to look into the state's health insurance program for children for when your baby is born.

• Loading the player...
  • Check into the Moms and Babies program on the All Kids Illinois website.  I was in the same situation and this is what I currently have.  If you have more questions you can email me directly at mlo_btrfly@yahoo.com
  • LOL. Ok that was funny.

Anywho. You should be able to qualify for the Illinois AllKids Program with a small monthly fee. I don't even know if they check to see if you are working. I remember just calling and them sending a card. The card is good for you and the child until a little while are the birth. Then they cut you off, but the child keeps his card. That is definitely the way to go if you have no insurance.
    After that I would promptly get insurance.

• Thank you for the suggestions, I was able to qualify for the mom's and babies program, and i will definitly get regular insurance after that. 
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"