Natural Birth
Options

Newborn care after home birth?

If you've had a home birth, how soon after the delivery are you expected to take the baby to the pedi? The thought of taking a newborn baby out the next day in the cold is almost as unappealing as a hospital birth, lol. Also, are you expected to get any other medical care besides the routine pedi appointment? My first spent 2 weeks in the NICU, so I'm a little unfamiliar with the procedures for an uncomplicated birth.  Thanks!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Newborn care after home birth?

• Options

My midwives come back every day for the first 3 days to check on me and the baby.

We will take the baby to the pedi for a usual newborn check at 4-6days old. He will have his newborn screening done then as well.

someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

• Options
    We had a doctor at our home birth and he did a basic assessment and came back 48 hours later to check on us again.  I called our pedi and they had us come in at around 5 days postpartum.  They did the heel prick in the office and gave us a referral for the hearing screen.  I believe we did that the next week.  After that it was just the same routine care that any baby would have.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My midwife did all NB care for the first 6 weeks, I think. So his first appt. with the pedi was his 2 month appt.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My MW said we can wait a week if we want to..she will do the care until then.

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options

My midwives came back 24 hours after the birth and then again after 3 days.  I didn't take my baby to our family doctor until 2 weeks.  She then referred us to get the newborn hearing test and heel prick done at an audiologist and the hospital nursery.

• Options

imagebarnwife:
    My midwife did all NB care for the first 6 weeks, I think. So his first appt. with the pedi was his 2 month appt.

This exactly. My MW's have someone "on community" and doing home visits, so I had visits every 2-4 days for a bit. My last home visit was 9 days PP, and my first in-clinic appointment was when she was 18 days old. My first home visit was 12 hours after birth.

• Options

Wow, thanks!  I didn't realize MW's did so much :)   I just recently hired a doula, and she really thinks I will benefit from a MW so much more than my OB. I had a horrible 1st delivery where my son's oxygen supply was diminished. I am looking to go natural this time, contemplating a switch to a MW, and maybe even a home birth.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My midwife came back on day 1, day 3, one week and two weeks to check up on him.  I brought him to my pedi at one or two weeks old, can't remember which.  My pedi originally wanted me to bring him in at 3 days at the latest, but my midwife didn't want me even leaving the house before day 7.
    imageimage 
  • Options

I'm going to a birth center, but they require we take baby to a pedi within 48 hours of the birth (unless you give birth on Friday hehe) 

I'm lucky and have a pedi who will most likely do a home visit. Maybe see if yours would do it for you?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

MW came back to my home at 2 days postpartum. I took DS to see her in her office at 1 week postpartum.

His regular pedi wanted to see him at 2 weeks pp. We actually had back to back appointments that day, one with the pedi and one with the MW. (Since the MW was checking on me too, not just him.)

Then I think we did 6 weeks with the MW and 2 months with his pedi, and regular schedule from then on out.

MW did both heel pricks -- one at 2 days and one at 2 weeks, I think.

When I had questions in between visits, I usually went to my MW first. She sometimes answered herself (e.g. when his belly button got a little oozy) and sometimes referred me to his pedi (e.g. when he developed RSV at 4 weeks old)

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Options

2-3 days after birth then usually 2 weeks(or 1 mo depending) then 2 mo

my m/w does 1 day/3day/7day/2week/4week and 6 week 

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"