D.C. Area Babies
Options

Feds: Open season, short term disability?

Feds, since it is open season we are reconsidering our insurance options.  We would like to start trying for a second child this year.  Does anyone know if short-term disability insurance is an option to purchase through any fed government benefits packages?  Do you have experience with it?  Also interested in hearing about any third-party recommendations.  Any pros/cons that we should consider? Thanks!

Re: Feds: Open season, short term disability?

• Options
    To my knowledge, there is no short term disability insurance offered for federal employees.  It is one of my biggest pet peeves.  At least offer it at cost!  Especially since you don't offer paid maternity leave.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagealliapistor:
    To my knowledge, there is no short term disability insurance offered for federal employees.  It is one of my biggest pet peeves.  At least offer it at cost!  Especially since you don't offer paid maternity leave.

Yup. This is what I understand, as well. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Nothing offered to Feds as far as STD. 

I had looked at getting my own private policy through Aflack or whatever, and when I did the math it didn't make sense.  I figured out that after I paid the monthly premium for a while (I think you had to pay into it for a year before you could actually start drawing down on it) I could just save that money up for taking LWOP. 

Or something like that.  I admit I didn't go too far down the road of researching it because I got pg about two months after becoming a Fed back in 2006. Smile

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options
    Thank you, I was unable to find any information about it either, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything!
  • Options

imagealliapistor:

That's not exactly true... there are STD programs for most *unionized* employees.

• Options
    imagech ch ch chia:

imagealliapistor:

That's not exactly true... there are STD programs for most *unionized* employees.

Really? How would someone find information about that?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagech ch ch chia:

imagealliapistor:

That's good to know - our agency only very recently unionized so there is a steep learning curve.  I can tell you that there is no STD offered through our union - yet!

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options
    imageArtslvr:
    imagech ch ch chia:

imagealliapistor:

That's good to know - our agency only very recently unionized so there is a steep learning curve.  I can tell you that there is no STD offered through our union - yet!

I think karinothing's union offers it (She posts on MM).  Not sure about others.  I guess it's probably something that's specific to your bargaining agreement, or whatever it's called.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"