Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Best iPhone app for a 2 year old (30+ hour flight!)

I need your best suggestions for apps for my 2 year old.... We don't usually let her play with my phone too much, except when we're travelling and/or desperate, but we're travelling from Australia to Canada in a couple weeks and will need some serious distractions!

She has a few games that she likes right now - an animal matching game (Animatch I think?) and a Toddler Teaser quiz game that asks about shapes/colours/animals etc. She also likes the little drawing pad and some of those talking cat/dog apps, but she could play all those things and be done with our phone in 15 minutes. She has a pretty short attention span lol.

So, I need some app suggestions to keep a busy toddler engaged for a significant chunk of time while strapped into a seatbelt for over 30 hours. I don't care if they're educational or not - we'll be desperate!

(XP because I need all the suggestions I can get!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Best iPhone app for a 2 year old (30+ hour flight!)

• Options

I don't have an iPhone so forgive me with not having names. There is a coloring one that E loves. It has about 20 pictures and you pick a color and then hit where you want the color. There are some piano ones that you hit and it makes music or animal sounds.

You may also want to look on pbs.org, nickjr.com, or sproutonline.com for some other game ideas.

• Options

I've got an iPad, not phone so not sure if all of these will work, but we love Drawing Pad, which I think would be great for an older toddler, and Fish School.  The developer for Fish School, I think called Duck Duck Moose, has some really good ones just for the iPhone. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Always Sunny's back b-tches!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

In all seriousness, buy an I-pad.  Your phone battery will give out long before the i-pad's will and she will have more fun with the larger screen.  I know they are expensive but just buy the least expensive one (even see if you can get an I-pad 1 somewhere, for a while the Sam's near us had them).  That said here are some apps we use to keep DD entertained while traveling (also about the only time I give her access to the I-pad, desperate times and all).

Anything by Duck, Duck Moose (Baa Baa Black Sheep and the Itsy Bitsy Spider are two of DD's faves)

Elmo's ABCs

Elmo's Monster Maker

Peek a Boo Forest

Peek a Boo Barn

There is one by Tickle Tap apps that is basically a music game.  Basically DD selects a sound (piano, drum, animal noise etc).  Then when she taps teh screen little dots appear and make sounds.  The longer she holds her finger on the screen, the more the sound changes.  When she turns the i-pad all the dots roll around and create more music. 

Also, given the length of the flights I might put some movies on the i-pad (or i-phone or i-pod) and let her watch those.  Or Sesame Street or whatever.

I have also found that new small toys that she has never seen before keep her really entertained on long flights.  Good luck!!! 

• Options

Any of the clicky stickys (sticker books)

Zoo Train

Busy Bee Preschool

Phone 4 Kids

Shape Puzzle

We also have a few books we downloaded (can get pricey) which are nice and can be set on autoplay

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Sesame Street has podcasts that are free through ITunes.  They are short, but can be life savers!
  • Options
    I would recommend downloading episodes of Sesame Street or any other kids show you can on iTunes, we did this last time and it was great. 
  • Options

I have a few on my iphone in desperate times when we are out somewhere and I see a meltdown coming on. There's one called toddler counting...it shows a series of objects and as he touches each one it says and shows each number, I was amazed a few days ago, I turned off the sound and my son counted by himself!

Also, we have Dora's coloring,you can find a bunch of dora & diego

Nick jr's A-Z with moose

Oliva- touch & color

Smart baby- helps label things like animals, objects, shapes

for a flight that long, maybe have some dvd or videos? we just did an 18 hr car ride and although it went well I am so glad i had my iphone. it really helped. good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"