Austin Babies
Options

Vent/question

If someone is a "talker" (like you can't-get-a-word-in-ever-talker) and you are on the phone (driving in the car) with them... if you say "ok" or "I know" every once in a while..... would you consider that interrupting and not listening?

I ask because I just got an earful of an email from the person who was on the other end of the line a few hours later... and boy you would have thought I am the worst person ever. (Including lessons on how I shouldn't treat my daughter that way and I should listen to what she has to say and not interrupt her ever... even if I am not interested because it is important to her.....) Keep in mind that my daughter was never the topic of conversation during this call. The topic was about rush hour traffic.....

Am I crazy, or is this a WTF?

Sigh... I already feel like I should DD this after typing it....

Re: Vent/question

• Options

My sisters and I do that all the time bc you never know if a call drops anymore.

But for her to email and chastise you, regardless if she is offended, is just crazy.  I'd just assume she doesn't give a crap about your response and wants to vent at you, not have a discussion about her concerns regarding your friendship.  

Peace out, homes. 

• Options
    imageFireChiefsBride:

My sisters and I do that all the time bc you never know if a call drops anymore.

But for her to email and chastise you, regardless if she is offended, is just crazy.  I'd just assume she doesn't give a crap about your response and wants to vent at you, not have a discussion about her concerns regarding your friendship.  

Peace out, homes. 

This was an immediate relative!!! Indifferent

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I guess I should add that they are on some medication too (prescription - not illegal drugs) so I guess I should take it with a grain of salt... but it still really hurt my feelings....especially dragging my daughter (who had NO part of this whatsoever) into it. Even though she didn't say it it felt like she was implying that I am a bad mom. 
  • Options

It's a WTF. Sometimes when I talk to m_and_m, it's totally one sided. I just bitchandmoanand vent for like 10 minutes straight and end with "and I really should let you go because I have to go to sleep now!".  And sometimes I just listen to HER talk while I drop Abby off at school, put gas in my car, go home, check the mail and eat a bowl of cereal. It's all relative to the needs of the person and the context of the conversation.

Sounds like the person involved has a serious chip on their shoulder. I suspect said person may also be a narcissistic hypocritical drama queen. Let me know if I'm off base...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I thought "ok" or "I know" or "uh huh" were things that told them you WERE listening.  I think she's full of poop.  But that's just me :-)
  • Options

imagelilrunner:
    I thought "ok" or "I know" or "uh huh" were things that told them you WERE listening.  I think she's full of poop.  But that's just me :-)

This.  I only sit silently if it's my mom or BFF venting and I know they just need to get it out.  And even then if I don't say anything sometimes they ask, "are you there?" because like PP said calls drop all the time.  

Sorry you were blindsided with that email.  Pretty craptacular if you ask me.

• Options
    yeah, if i'm having a long winded vent and the person on the other line *doesn't* respond w/ a "yeah" or "uh huh" for a while, then i assume the call was dropped and i've been talking to myself for 10 minutes. not that it's ever happened before or anything. Embarrassed
  • Options

imagelilrunner:

ITA.  If I don't hear someone comment at some point I either think I dropped the call or they aren't listening.  Maybe it's her meds... otherwise I think she's crazy. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I thought "ok" and "I know" were good because you were validating her feelings during the vent... just letting her know you care.  Email was crazy pants and she dragged your daughter into it because she knew it would get to you.  I'd just brush it off as drugs making her cukoo!!

Married October 28, 2006, TTC since March 2009 IUI #1-8 w/ clomid = BFN
    IVF # 1 May, 2011 = BFP!!! Stillbirth at 26 weeks (placental failure/severe IUGR)
    FET #1 February, 2012-- BFP! Beta #1=84 Beta #2= 207 Beta #3= 3,526 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Our Rainbow Baby is on the Way!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageagran:
    I thought "ok" and "I know" were good because you were validating her feelings during the vent... just letting her know you care.  Email was crazy pants and she dragged your daughter into it because she knew it would get to you.  I'd just brush it off as drugs making her cukoo!!
    my thoughts exactly!
  • Options
    Ditto pp. that is a crazy ridiculous reaction. I do the same as you to let the person know I'm listening and expect the same, especially with the dropped call concern on cell phones. That email is way over the line. Now I'm curious what medication she is in though! I hope it's not still bothering you this morning. Clearly, no one here thinks you did anything wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"