Northern California Babies
Options

Baby Proofing your Christmas tree..

With D when he was a little guy he didn't care about the tree and never bothered it. I can tell that Q and M are different and they are going to be all over it. I am debating getting one I can put on a table, or should I use the gate? What did you do? 

Re: Baby Proofing your Christmas tree..

• Options

I suggested getting a tabletop tree this year, but DH was totally against it.  He needs his full-size tree. :)

So, we'll probably be using the super yard to barricade it. Should be interesting...

• Options

fishing line .. secure the tree to the wall w/ a screw in eyehook and fishing line.

fingers crossed this works w/ an active 2 yo and 2 jrts in the house.

Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes the eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker - Author Unknown

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The first and second year, we tied it to the wall with fishing line but C did not care about it at all.  Last year we had a mini tree since we were about to move and DS played with it a lot -- none of the decorations were breakable and it couldn't hurt him and vice versa.  This year, we'll have a normal sized live tree, tied to the wall again, with very few breakable ornaments.  But DS is old enough this year to be told and expected to leave it alone for the most part.
  • Options
    imageSJBride05:

I suggested getting a tabletop tree this year, but DH was totally against it.  He needs his full-size tree. :)

So, we'll probably be using the super yard to barricade it. Should be interesting...

I am like your DH, I want a full size tree too. But I also know they will be ALL in it water everywhere, bulbs.. scares me. lol 

• Options
    We just put breakable ornaments up top and didn't leave him in the room with the tree by himself.  Did the same this year.  I couldn't give up my beautiful big Christmas tree that I love seeing and smelling :)
  • Options

I like the idea of securing it to a wall so they cant pull it over on themselves. What about an age appropriate train to go around the base so that will keep them busy and not able to get to the water. Also, no breakable things near the bottom. I also let Collin help me hang the ornaments and allowed him to touch it in hopes (fingers crossed) that it wont seem so desireable to get at since he has already had interaction with it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageSJBride05:

We did the super yard last year and will again this year. Maybe next year we'll be able to go without, but I'm not holding my breath...

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I do not know what we will do! I'm not going to buy a super yard for just for the tree though. DH wants a tree really bad, i could go without.
  • Options

imageNorcalLinds:
    I do not know what we will do! I'm not going to buy a super yard for just for the tree though. DH wants a tree really bad, i could go without.

Do you know anyone with a super yard that you can borrow?

• Options
    imageSJBride05:

imageNorcalLinds:

Do you know anyone with a super yard that you can borrow?

maybe.... i will ask around. i just sold our play yard. HA 

• Options
    Last year DS was 11 months old and he didn't show too much interest, but I still decorated the bottom (what was within his reach) with soft and unbreakable ornaments. This year he really wants to touch the ornaments and is really interested in it, so we've been telling him that the tree is "hot". It's working okay so far.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We also put the Super Yard around our tree.  Worked great!
  • Options

The early years I was really worried about it too.  Andrew is a kid that is into everything and when he's really interested in something he will find a way to get to it.  When he was 1 when didn't get a tree because I didn't want the stress.  That year we were with my dad for Christmas and he didn't touch the tree once.  Next year He was 2 and Cooper was crawling, maybe barely walking and they would look and touch gently but were totally fine with it.  I think Andrew got in the water once that year.

Every year since we've had a tree and done nothing special.  Never in a million years would I have expected to say that with my boys.  I'm glad I gave them the chance, ya know.  We did have a super yard so had it gone wrong I could have blocked it off.  Could you start with the tree accessible and see how it goes and then put up the super yard if need be?  They might surprise you and be more respectful since it's something sooooo special.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"