Military Families
Options

Tell me about Camp Lejeune :)

We just got orders to Lejeune.  We're USMC.  I hear all about how boring it is and nothing really good.  I don't care that it's boring and doesn't have a good club scene.  We are really family oriented and I will be a SAHM.  We plan to rent off base.  I hear that it's a nightmare trying to get housing on base anyway.   Tell me about how you liked it! :)
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Tell me about Camp Lejeune :)

• Options

Hi

I'm not at Lejuene, we will be in May, but we're at Cherry Point which isn't very far away. While at Cherry Point we live in New Bern which is about 45 minutes from Jacksonville which is where Lejuene is. New Bern is smaller and less crowdea nd offers some small city charm. Jacksonville is very over crowded and I will admit that it doesn't offer a lot; however, I have met some good friends in the area and I definitely feel like you'll be OK once you've adjusted and met some people. Socially, I've spent more time in Jacksonville than in New Bern.  I think most of the activities in the area are family oriented so that's right up your alley. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions

• Options

Just got here 2 weeks ago.  We rent a house off base that is about 15 miles from the front gate (a very easy drive to get there).  I would recommend contacting a Realtor in the area and they can send you links to rental houses.  We use Century 21, but any would do.

I'm still adjusting to living here and haven't really found much to do (but it has only been a couple weeks haha).  From what I can tell everything seems to be off of Western Blvd (all the restaurant chains, the mall,  the movie theater) it is about 5 mins from the front entrance of base.

It is definitely a Marine town.  Everywhere you look you will see a Marine. I find it kinda comforting because I don't feel like I'm alone in this lifestyle (even with living off base). 

If you have any specific questions you can PM me, I don't know much yet but I can try to help out.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm on LeJeune and I have no problem being here.  I am from the NJ-NYC area and so I am used to everything being crowded.  The shopping is horrible here in Jacksonville [the mall is a joke] so for decent mall shopping there is WIlmington [about 45 min drive] and Chapel Hill or Raleigh [about 3 hr drive].  This city is filled with the normal chain restaurants and the local airport is super small [2 - terminals].  Base housing is great and we waited about 5 months to get on base housing.  It is not a nightmare by anymeans and those PCSing to LeJeune get preferrence over people already on the list and I know there are no wait times for SNCOs and Officers.  We lived out in town for about 2 yrs and it was fine no complaints.  There are a lot of parks here in the City on on base as well.  I will say any kind of children event is super crowded because there are so many people here.

There are plenty of activities on base and off base for SAHM and their children to participate in as long you look for them.  They are not going to just invite you to events if you do not look in the newspaper, online, or on the MCCS website, and or get involved with your community.

Good Luck.

P.S: if you have any school aged children Hunter's Creek schools seem to be the best in the area from reviews, reports, and word of mouth.  Also Carolina Forest school is a good one.

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagechloebeth930:

Just got here 2 weeks ago.  We rent a house off base that is about 15 miles from the front gate (a very easy drive to get there).  I would recommend contacting a Realtor in the area and they can send you links to rental houses.  We use Century 21, but any would do.

I'm still adjusting to living here and haven't really found much to do (but it has only been a couple weeks haha).  From what I can tell everything seems to be off of Western Blvd (all the restaurant chains, the mall,  the movie theater) it is about 5 mins from the front entrance of base.

It is definitely a Marine town.  Everywhere you look you will see a Marine. I find it kinda comforting because I don't feel like I'm alone in this lifestyle (even with living off base). 

If you have any specific questions you can PM me, I don't know much yet but I can try to help out.

Hey you made it!!!!!  Hope all is well PM me if you need anything/have any questions Smile

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagegigismomma:
    imagechloebeth930:

Hey you made it!!!!!  Hope all is well PM me if you need anything/have any questions Smile

Hehe I did!!  Thanks, I'm still getting settled here (our goods come on Friday) and just trying to adjust to being in a new place (kinda rough, but each day gets a little better).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"