Washington Babies
Options

anyone have no Thanksgiving plans?

Just wondering if we are the only ones with nothing to do...AND family nearby? 

My mom recently wrote off me and my little family completely (she is bipolar and I'm pretty sure has a narcissistic personality disorder going on too) - which means we are not invited to the normal family Thanksgiving that she hosts with my granpda, aunt and uncle, brother, sis-in-law, niece, etc (There is no issue with anyone but her). My dad goes to a friend's house for Thanksgiving and has since my parents split up 10 yrs ago. My husband's family lives in the midwest, and while we looked at flying there, it was $1200 per ticket...and there are 4 of us, so not financially an option. Finances are crazy tight right now for us. 

I guess I am just feeling sorry for myself right now - my birthday is the day after Thanksgiving too - which we are also not celebrating because we have no $$ to do so. Trying so hard to focus on being thankful for the wonderful things we do have - 2 beautiful babies, warm home, etc - but the pity party rains on still. 

Just feels so depressing this year and hearing everyone else's family plans. If you have nothing to do, what are you "doing"?

Re: anyone have no Thanksgiving plans?

• Options
    My mom is having a minor procedure on Wednesday, so we are having Papa Murphy's pizza at my folk's house.  I guess it's not WHAT you eat, but WHO you eat it with.  
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I just wanted to say I'm sorry and hope things look up soon! Sending a virtual hug and wishes for an end to family drama your way. This is the first year in the last 5 that we're "doing something" for Thanksgiving ie spending it with family. I know how it can be a little lonely, but wanted to share what we did in case it helps.

Our first Thanksgiving alone was 2 weeks after we bought our first house. We were living in the Boston area with my family in NC and DH's in OR so not within driving distance of anyone, couldn't afford plane tickets, and no one wanted to come visit us. We bought a turkey and all the fixings, spent the day cooking our feast, set the table with our nice linens, and enjoyed the holiday, just the 2 of us. It was such a nice peaceful day. The day after Thanksgiving, we started a tradition of inviting friends over to help us eat our delicious Thanksgiving leftovers. They have nearby family and spend a stressful T-day splitting time between 2 celebrations where everyone is mad at them for leaving early/arriving late. We continued to stay home for Thanksgiving the remainder of our time in New England partly because of the cost of plane tickets for such a short visit and partly because of the stress of holiday travel. Of course we would call our families to say hello and share stories of turkey mishaps, etc.

This year we're driving to Hillsboro to celebrate Thanksgiving with my brother-in-law, his wife, and their baby boy. I'm excited to see them, but also a little sad that we'll miss out on our own tradition of a quiet, but still extravagant feast at home. The first year was a little hard for us, but since then I've looked forward to a peaceful holiday and celebrated family time at home (as in our small two person family).

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, whether large or small!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

This is our first Thanksgiving/Christmas alone since we moved to Spokane and all our family lives about 2-5 hours away.  With all the snow and stuff we said NO to the travel with a 3 year old.  I am very much looking forward to it anyway though, and I will be cooking a small turkey breast with all the sides!  Dh and I will get fat and be happy!

Hope you find joy in your holiday. ((hugs)). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

*hugs*

I'm working all day tomorrow, so we're cooking on Friday and just having friends over.  Neither of us have any family in the area.

I know how you feel about the Mom thing, though.  Honestly, I haven't spoken to my mom in over a year, and I'm almost positive she has NPD.  She fits almost all of the textbook symptoms.  It's a little easier because she lives on the East Coast, though.

*more hugs*  Let me know if you ever want somebody to talk to.

I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving, and a Happy Birthday, despite family troubles! <3 

TTC #1 ♥ since 1/11 
    BFP #1 8/21/11 - EDD 5/1/12 - M/C 9/25/11 ♥ BFP #2 11/17/11 - EDD 8/1/12 - C/P 11/20/11
    DH (37) SA = mediocre  Me (31) Low AMH/DOR, Septate Uterus (repaired via Hysteroscopy)
    IUI 1-3 = 3 BFNs ♥ IVF 11/12 = BFFN :( ♥ IUI 4 + Injects 1/13 = BFN :(IUI 5 + Injects = cancelled due to cyst
    BFP #3 - 3/9/13 ♥ EDD 11/21/13 Break cycle miracle! ♥ Stick baby, stick!!  IT'S A GIRL!
    Caitlyn Emma born 11-6-13, 5lb 7.5oz, 18.5in

♥ Congrats BFPB HuskyMomma94, David arrived 4/26/12!  And #2 due 3/10/14! ♥
    ♥ Luck and love BFPB siple1am!! ♥

image image 
    image image image
    My Chart ♥ My Blog  Magic Love!!  ITFB Love!!
    ♥ Everyone Welcome 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"