Georgia Babies
Options

Michelle, Josie and anyone else who likes to cook....

I usually LOVE to cook. I am no chef, but I enjoy it and do it well for the most part. This year I am SO far behind the 8 ball I don't know what I am going to pull outta my arse for TG. My ILs come in on Tuesday and I have to feed them until Saturday. I have had NO energy or ability to cook or to think about cooking. I ordered a lot of platters from Publix for Tues night dinner and TG day for apps.

What easy but yummy sides for TG are you making??

I have my stuffing recipe and my cranberry chutney and will do mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes. What else do I need to do. I am so disappointed b/c this is the 1st year we have had TG at our house with my ILS and usually my MIL who sucks at cooking makes a crappy meal. I don't want to follow in those footsteps. I finally got my pump out yesterday and am feeling better but this is the 1st time in WEEKS I have felt like eating let alone cooking. Any ideas would be appreciated.  

Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Michelle, Josie and anyone else who likes to cook....

• Options

Good call on the platters.  I may have to follow suit.  I can't imagine having to cook turkey day dinner with morning sickness. I was planning to do that cheesy blooming onion bread that is on pinterest as an appetizer and making a veggie/dip tray. Or, If I am feeling up to it I plan to take a package of sesame bread sticks and wrap bacon around them and bake until the bacon is crispy. Don't get the pillsbury kind, you will find these in the bread or cracker aisle of the grocery store.  They are sometimes near the biscotti.

I'm in a similar boat.  All of a sudden as of today I have to feed 8 people (and maybe more) and I just haven't had the energy at seven months pregnant to do my usual over the top stuff.  Plus my house is a wreck!  There is a bbq place next to my house that will smoke a turkey that you bring in of any size if you get it to them by tomorrow at a pretty reasonable fee. Let me know if you want their info.  I have to make my turnip greens and two of my apple pies or everyone will revolt. My other sides are stuffing, mixed roasted veggies and warm rolls. 

For the veggies: I'm planning to get baby carrots, purple potatoes, shallots, and zuchini and throw it all on a baking sheet with oil, salt, and pepper and roasting until everything looks good and done.  I can make everything in a day or so in advance or a little here and there depending on my energy levels. 

Since they are going to be around a few days you could plan a breakfast casserole and just pop it in the oven in the morning or a baked french toast recipe.  Of course you could also do those bacon, egg, and toast cups that are all over pinterest too.  For lunch, you could have a soup ready to go in the crock pot and a sandwich spread set out. Some of my favorite crock pot soups are baked potato and curry carrot. 

Hope that helps.  I'll be watching for replies to see if I can get some good ideas too.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm hosting TG at my house this year, but its only 4 adults and then three kids who will not eat much.  So 4 people, lets say.  In my family TG is a food-fest so I've had to greatly scale back since I don't need 10 side dishes and 7 desserts.  Here is what I am doing, and if you'd like my prep excel sheet, I'll be happy to send it to you:

Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Dressing, Gravy, Cranberry Sauce, Dinner Rolls, Roasted Pear and Shallot salad, pumpkin pie, chocolate cream pie.  I'll also have fruit salad and steamed broccoli because I KNOW the kids'll eat that. 

For hors' d, I am making roasted spiced nuts, baked brie, a cheese board, carmelized onion dip, mulled wine

I've opted out of the side dishes that can be polarizing and stuck with the classics.  I usually like to have Brussels sprouts, turnips and butternut squash, but its just too much.

Also, the platters are  good idea.   Plan to not make dinner on Tues/Wed. I'm planning to do white bean chicken chili one night this week.   We'll probably order pizza and a salad one night, too.   

Good luck with dinner.  Do they know you're pregnant yet or are you planning to surprise them with the news?  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks Julie and Michelle! Yes, My family knows I am pg b/c I was so sick that we had to tell them. I also wanted to insure that my ILS knew this was going to be no frills. Here is what I have from Publix and on my menu. I think cooking the Turkey in my house is going to send me over the edge but I already ordered it. I won't make it to the smoker people in time. Maybe if I beg?? Oh well....

Tues night: Chicken wings, potato salad, etc...from Publix

Wed: Out/order

TG: Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, chutney, pumkin bread

Platters: veggies and dip and a bread bowl with spinach dip. I might open a bag of tostitos, nice right?

Fri: Left overs/fend for yourself

Sat: I don't care?  

Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I admire the fact that you're cooking at all...if I had had to be in charge of any kind of holiday dinner during my morning sickness I would have ordered the entire thing from Whole Foods and then put DH in charge of heating it up!!!

For Sat, do something easy and will feed a small army like a big pot of spaghetti, or you can make a really easy pizza dough and let everyone do their own mini pizzas. Then you just have to buy the stuff for it. Actually I think some stores might even have balls of pizza dough you can buy, and then you can divide it up. I feel like I saw that at Target once.

• Options

Two words - Whole Foods.

Seriously - they have awesome prepared food and side dishes.  No problem and don't feel guilty for not cooking!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I really admire you Lauren because you can really pull out your pregnancy card on this one.  I think what you have is fine.  Chilli, soup and sandwhiches is always good to feed a crowd.  Hope you feeling better and congrats.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"