Houston Babies

favorite books about bf/parenting/pregnancy ?

hello ladies/moms !

i just wanted to know if you can share your favorite books about breastfeeding, parenting and childbirth.

I don't have a clue about any of this stuff really and after reading my mayoclinic book about pregnancy and giving birth i'm feeling a little unprepared.

I am going to hire a doula beacuse i think it'll be nice to have some female support since my mom isn't here to help me.

what were your favorite books?  and what books did you buy and toss out ? advice?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: favorite books about bf/parenting/pregnancy ?

• I read the What to Expect books both times and there was good info there.

My advice is to take the classes that the hospitals offer if you can.  With DD I was clueless and went to a childbirth class as well as an infant care class.  They were both very informative.

With DS we did both again because he was DH's 1st.  We left halfway through the childbirth class once they went over signs of labor, etc. since the rest was about that birth and I had been there, done that.

Abbie Rose 9.26.2004
    Collin Thayne 10.11.2010
  • I have been reading the newest edition of the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.  My mother had this book on her book shelf when I was a kid and she got me one when I was pregnant. At first, I felt it was a bit too hippy for me.  However, now that my baby is over three months old it has been a useful resource for all types of info mainly breastfeeding related.  I have read and re-read certain sections and I know this will be important to me throughout my breast feeding endeavor.

This book has helped me fall in love with breast feeding my baby and I know that this is the right choice for us.  I'm planning to nurse at least a year.

-Cara

• Loading the player...
  • I really liked Your Pregnancy week by week, it was really informative and it was cool to see what was going on as the weeks passed and I got closer to having my LO. A book that REALLY helped after having my LO was Happiest Baby on the Block, I highly recommend this book!

• Honestly, I didn't read much when I was pregnant. I did read information about the baby's development each week and things I might be experiencing, but I also didn't want too much information. I had a very easy pregnancy and was appreciative that I didn't need to know more.

I also read Happiest Baby on the Block and will read it again when we have another baby. This book wasn't helpful with DS until he was 3 months old because he had horrible reflux and couldn't be laid down until we go his medicine just right. After begging for advice on here, I quickly picked up Colic Solved and it was a life saver.

We did the hospital class because my doctor recommended it and I didn't find it very valuable. I should have gone to an infant care class instead, but I had never held a baby and was not prepared.

Dx: PCOS and short luteal phase
    18 cycles (3 with our RE) - Metformin + Clomid + HCG booster did the trick!
    BFP #1 6/22/09 EDD: 3/2/10 DS born: 3/8/10

TTC #2 since Dec 2011
    BFP #2 7/8/12 EDD: 3/18/12 M/C @ 9w1d: 8/16/12

• Ooh! I LOVE books. In my opinion, pregnancy is 9 months long so that you have a full 9 months (or longer) to prepare for parenting. :)

I wrote a post awhile ago on my blog, it is lengthy and doesn't paste well here, so I will link it instead. :)

The short:

• pregnancy - From Tiny Tot To Toddler (a much better, IMHO, option than What To Expect...), Gentle Birth Gentle Mothering, and The Natural Pregnancy Book
    • childbirth - Ina May's Guide To Childbirth, The Birth Book, and The Birth Partner 
    • breastfeeding - Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, and Breastfeeding With Comfort and Joy
    • parenting - What Your Pediatrician Doesn't Know Can Hurt Your Child, The Attachment Parenting Book, and Happiest Baby on The Block

Those are what I am recommending to the mamas that I work with right now. :)

• My OB recommended me to read one book only, Your Pregnancy and Birth.  It is by the American College of OBGYNs. Super easy read and it was very informative.  I did a hospital birthing class and tour, and if I was not a nurse and did not have lactation consultants as co workers, I would have totally done a breastfeeding class.  I also started reading the posts over on the Breastfeeding board after I delivered.  Utilize the LC's at the hospital right after you deliver, most of them are awesome!

Good Luck.

• Aw, didn't know you were expecting, too!  I'm a week behind you.  Smile Congrats!
  • I loved "So That's What They're For" - breastfeeding book

Happiest Baby on the Block... we survived DD#1 thanks to this book.  DD#2 was just, easier.  

• A Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy....I like this book because it keeps it real.

Congrats!!! 

Photobucket
    Our little miracle, Jett.
    Planning Bio,
    My Blog
  • I didn't read a lot.  I did a lot of winging it. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I liked Happiest Baby on the Block, but I watched the DVD, not read the book.  I liked to actually *see* the techniques.

I have "What to expect", but use it more for just reference, and didn't read it, per se.  My pedi recommended "Caring for your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5", so we have that, as well - but again, just use it for reference if I have a question before I call the pedi/nurse.

I also read Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy - it was a good lighthearted read.  I also read Jenny McCarthy's book - Belly Laughs. I thought it was a little over the top and dramatized. 

A frend gave me "Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child", but she basically gave me a quick run down of what the point was, so I don't know that I really read it, but kept it in case I needed some hints on sleep.  Luckly, DS was a good sleeper - so I don't know if it "worked", or I just got lucky.

• Dr Sears "The Baby Book." It has information about pregnancy, birth and BFing, plus a whole resource section at the back about things like developmental milestones, common illnesses and other stuff. It was my bible.

I loved "What to expect when you're expecting" but the postpartum books in the same series are written in a way that tends to freak people out more than help based on my experience. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"