Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Anyone lose a ton of weight after weaning??

Please tell me this has happened to someone. Not someone who finally lost that 5lbs and was back at their usual 120lbs. A significant weight loss. 10 pounds plus?? Anyone?

I am killing myself working out, cutting calories, and my weight will. not. budge. I want to scream. I used to be that skinny biitch, and now I'm stuck here at 160 (at 5'4" that is not healthy). So please someone give me hope, tell me you lost a shiit ton of weight after weaning.

FWIW I still haven't had my period. My doctor said something about a hormonal shift that could help my weight loss when I finally get AF back, but this was almost 6 months ago. Has anyone heard of that?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone lose a ton of weight after weaning??

• I haven't weaned yet, bit I'm in the same exact situation. I started running, really watching what I eat, and nothing. I also still have horrible cravings. I've heard that lots of women hold on to weight while BFing and it melts off after they wean. I gave up on the dieting. If my weight doesn't change, for good or bad, I might as well enjoy a few more months of buttery pasta and chocolate..If you do a Google search for it, you'll find tons of other women having the same problems. Hopefully we will both be able to shed some pounds soon.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Oh yes, I did. I was 145lbs after giving birth to my son, and I only went down to 134lbs when I was breastfeeding. After I weaned him at 18 months (he will be 23 months tomorrow) my weight has dropped down to 113lbs. I haven't done anything differently so fingers crossed that this gives you some hope and the same thing happens to you!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagechile_chicken:
    Oh yes, I did. I was 145lbs after giving birth to my son, and I only went down to 134lbs when I was breastfeeding. After I weaned him at 18 months (he will be 23 months tomorrow) my weight has dropped down to 113lbs. I haven't done anything differently so fingers crossed that this gives you some hope and the same thing happens to you!

This totally gives me hope! I will more than likely be weaning DS within the month I'm thinking. I mean I'm already down 10 lbs from my pre-preg weight but I'm still about 15 lbs overweight (IMO).  

• I haven't been 113lbs since high school (I am really short) so I am loving it, but it won't last long considering I am now expecting my second child. I just hope I lose it again as I went on a big shopping spree about two weeks before I found out I was pregnant!
  • I love this thread.  I swear my body holds on to every bite I eat like it will be the last.  My weight stays exactly the same, so why bother trying? 

The only problem is that I wasn't planning on weaning before I got pg again... :sigh: I just don't know.

• I haven't weaned yet...but when AF came back I found the extra weight was MUCH easier to lose.
  • This post gives me hope!  I was about 155 (5'6), then really started exercising and counting calories, I'm now at 145 and I weaned last week.  I'd love to get to closer to135 (which I haven't been since maybe high school?)
  • I did, about 20 pounds.  And I don't work out/diet (I should but I'm just so tired after work and the kids).  I'm still not at my pre-DS weight by far, but I didn't lose any weight at all while BF.  it wasn't until after I weaned that I started losing weight.  I was always starving when I was BFing...so I was shoveling food in my mouth all day long!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I wish.  I had the opposite happen - was super skinny while nursing, and now can't shake the extra weight. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imagechile_chicken:
    Oh yes, I did. I was 145lbs after giving birth to my son, and I only went down to 134lbs when I was breastfeeding. After I weaned him at 18 months (he will be 23 months tomorrow) my weight has dropped down to 113lbs. I haven't done anything differently so fingers crossed that this gives you some hope and the same thing happens to you!

I love you for giving me hope!! This is the kind of story I was looking for.

BFing has gotten to be so easy that I just had put weaning on the back burner. DS still nurses multiple times a day and 2 times at night. I'm kind of over it, but every time I think I'm ready to wean I just feel mean. DS gets a cold, or has teeth coming in, and nursing is a huge comfort to him at those times.

Thank you for sharing and giving me hope : )

• imageKelzinBoston:
    I haven't weaned yet...but when AF came back I found the extra weight was MUCH easier to lose.

I have thought so many times that AF was coming, and then nothing. I never thought I would want it to come back so bad, unfortunately I think I'll have to wean to make that happen.

This does make me feel better. Thank you!

• imageJen&Len:
    I did, about 20 pounds.  And I don't work out/diet (I should but I'm just so tired after work and the kids).  I'm still not at my pre-DS weight by far, but I didn't lose any weight at all while BF.  it wasn't until after I weaned that I started losing weight.  I was always starving when I was BFing...so I was shoveling food in my mouth all day long!

This is me too. I have not lost weight due to BF. I initially lost maybe 10-15lbs, and since then nothing really. My typical pre-preg weight is 117lbs (plus or minus 2), so being stuck at 160 is a huge hit to my confidence. I don't carry it well, I look like a damn stuffed sausage.

• It wasn't related to weaning, but when DD was about 13-14 months, my body stopped hanging on to the weight.  I don't really feel like I did much different - still eating well and exercising.  But, actually, it did coincide with when I got AF back.  So maybe your doctor is right.

I'm still nursing a couple of times a day.

• Yes, weaning did help me lose the rest of my weight. I just fit into a pair of jeans this week that I haven't worn since before DS. I was psyched! Although, I would still like to lose even more than that since I was already overweight before I got pg.

image image

BFP#1 06/01/09~DS Born 01/29/10 via c/s 

BFP#2 05/17/12~EDD 01/18/13~Natural M/C 05/27/12@6w2d 

BFP#3 07/03/12~DD Born 03/08/13 via sched. c/s 

BFP #4 10/03/13 EDD 06/09/14 SURPRISE!!! On our way to 2u2!

image image

International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC)...BF questions/concens welcome!

• I started weaning 2 weeks ago very slowly - we're down to just morning and night nursing and I've lost about 5 lbs.  All my pre-pg clothes fit, but not in the same way, kwim?  I'm hoping that dropping the morning nursing will help a few more lbs come off, but I'm going to continue the night nursing for another month or so.
  • RbollisRbollis member
    edited October 2014
    Robin, interested to know if you lost weight when you weaned? I am 4 months into breastfeeding and like you, weight won't budge no matter what I do. Sooooo frustrated!
  • Interesting!  I thought a lot more weight loss would happen because of breast feeding, but I guess it is because you can't really diet?
  • My weight didn't budge and I'm pregnant again! I hope it falls off for you.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker

• I have been giving just one feed for the last month. I just dropped that feed two days ago and now he is weened. Did the ladies who lost weight go cold turkey from breastfeeding or a gradual approach? I'm hoping to lose 10 pounds :)
  • Hi, did you end up losing the weight? So interested because I'm just really hoping to when I wean
  • @gallaura did you end up losing, just wondering because I am hoping to when I wean
  • Man, I hope I lose weight once I wean. I've killed myself with dieting, but I am still like 20lbs away from my goal and my weight loss has come to a standstill. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • mnolfemnolfe member
    Hi, I stopped breastfeeding right at 2 weeks ago and have lost 8 pounds already! I am stoked. I was getting so frustrated because while bbreastfeeding was not losing weight like I thought I would. I hope that helps  
    :) good luck!! 
  • I did! Sorry going to talk in Kg :)
    I have always been slim, and put on heaps of weight (25kg) while pregnant. I steadily lost it after birth and while breastfeeding but still had an extra 5k. Also the distribution of fat has changed - I used to store it on bum and thighs only, but as soon as I got pregnant I suddenly got love handles and belly fat (it was my first sign!).
    I was down to one feed a day for about 2 months. Then dropped that single feed 2 weeks ago and I’ve shrunk at at almost alarming rate! Alongside this my appetite has almost disappeared. I used to be a small eater but while breast feeding was so hungry. (Daughter is 20 months)
    I also want to conceive in 6 months, and for me it was important to replenish my nutrient stores etc between weaning and second pregnancy, and a bonus seems to be the return of my pre baby body (except my now pancake boobs!!)
    Hope this gives some help. I know some of my friends have had the opposite - weight gain after weaning. I think it’s important to listen carefully to your appetite changes, as the body definitely wants to shed extra pounds at this time if you let it (mine does anyway!)
    I got my period back 11 weeks after birth despite full time breastfeeding, so the weight loss seems unrelated