Pre-School and Daycare

HELP! I need to get my 4 yr old out of my bed...

DD is 4 and has been sleeping in my bed for about a year and a half.  I have tried so many times to get her to sleep in her bed with no success.  Any suggestions or tips please send them my way! Thanks.
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: HELP! I need to get my 4 yr old out of my bed...

• Just keep taking her back to her own bed plain and simple!  I know - way easier to say than to do.  Key is consistancy.  Every time she shows up in your bed, don't talk or turn on lights, just walk her back to her bed.  Start on a weekend since you may not get much sleep at first.  You can start at night by sitting on her bed until she falls asleep and then each night, sit further away from her - on the floor, then on the floor part way between the bed and the door, then by the door, then just outside the room, etc.  This might take a few nights or a few weeks depending on your child and how consistant you are.  To get it done faster, you have to be consistant and not let her back into your bed or you have to start all over.  Think CIO.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • We've been dealing with the same thing, for the same amount of time, and I know this:

imagejlw2505:
    Just keep taking her back to her own bed plain and simple!  I know - way easier to say than to do.  Key is consistancy.  Every time she shows up in your bed, don't talk or turn on lights, just walk her back to her bed.  Start on a weekend since you may not get much sleep at first.  You can start at night by sitting on her bed until she falls asleep and then each night, sit further away from her - on the floor, then on the floor part way between the bed and the door, then by the door, then just outside the room, etc.  This might take a few nights or a few weeks depending on your child and how consistant you are.  To get it done faster, you have to be consistant and not let her back into your bed or you have to start all over.  Think CIO.

is what we have to do, but I just haven't been willing to take the time to do it. We did, however, just upgrade to a king bed. lol.

Emily 11.29.2007 | Kate 4.3.2010 | James 8.22.2013
  • Loading the player...
  • In addition to the back to bed tactic if you don't mind her in your room but just not your bed you can set up a little bed on the floor for her.  You can do it in a number of ways, based on what works for you but a few suggestions......lay out a sleeping bag or blanket for her with a pillow and let her know she can sleep there  but not in bed with you, put the pillow and blanket folded up by the door or someone she can easily get to them and tell her she can lay them out but if she wakes you up then she'll have to go to her own room, set up a sticker chart and find something that will really drive her ( I know some kids are thrilled simply to get a sticker every morning, some need a more concrete treat every day, some will work towards one each week, or you have my kid that loved it for two days and then flat out said " I don't want any stickers or toys, I'd rather sleep with you and daddy" Huh? he was 2.5 at the time)
  • Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  We have tried all of those things and I guess it comes down to me being too tired to keep it up.  I work full time and have to be up and out of the house by 6:55am each morning with two kids dressed and ready to go.  In addition my husband leaves for work at 5:40 so he isn't even there to help me out.  I know this is just an excuse, but I can not function without sleep!  I guess I am gonna give  it another go over the Thanksgiving break....this way at least I am off of work for 5 nights!  Thanks again and good luck to all of you who are going through the same thing!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My DD never fell asleep in our bed but she does come over in the middle of the night. I tell her before she goes to bed that she cannot come to my bed anymore b/c there is no space and mom and dad don't sleep. Some nights it works.

When she comes I walk her over to her bed. She would come over saying she was scared, I didn't buy it so now she's started a new tactic where she comes in and says something really sweet. Like, "I just came over for a kiss from you". Its hard but I have to be consistent.

They will push and push to try and get their way. They'll do it for their entire lives. Thats why consistency is important.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"