Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Cytotec question

Hi everyone-

My husband and I found out during our first OB appointment that we had no heartbeat and had miscarried. We were given 3 options-cytotec, wait for a natural m/c, or do a D and C. We chose cytotec and I started this process yesterday AM. Things were more painful than could be managed with the pain medication they prescribed and I ended up going to the ER. I have read some information online that made this sound like a somewhat typical response. I had a lot of nausea/vomiting and diarrhea and the experience was just awful. I ended up not passing the pregnancy and the OB on call suggested we go ahead with the D and C. I wondered if anyone here had a similar experience? I've had friends who had no problems at all except for the obvious cramping at home with Cytotec, but this wasn't my experience. Thank you for your responses and I'm sorry you all have been through losses of your own.

Re: Cytotec question

• Options
    What was the dosage?  800mcg?  I've heard that the process can be pretty brutal, especially at that dosage, but I was given 400mcg and it was a piece of cake.  I wasn't nauseous, didn't have diarrhea, and barely had any cramping.  It took 6 days and 2 doses though.
  • Options
    I took 800mcg at one time for my miscarriage.  I also had diarrhea and nausea and severe cramping for several hours.  It was awful.  I'm sorry you need a d&c now.  I was able to pass everything from the meds alone, but I have seen a lot of people on here where meds are not successful on the first try.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I took Cytotec, but only had mild cramping and chills. (I had read horror stories of the possible pain involved, so I was very nervous about taking the drug). However, I didn't pass everything (after 2 rounds of Cytotec), and 3 weeks later I had to have a D&C.  The D&C wasn't as awful as I thought, and my OB assured me that it was a very low risk procedure.  Hopefully I never have to be faced with the decision again, but if so, I would go ahead with the D&C instead of waiting it out for a month.  It has taken a terrible toll on me.  I am now getting back to my regular routine and feeling better overall.  My D&C was about 2 weeks ago.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm so sorry that you've had this experience and didn't pass everything. I hope that your docs get everything taken care of quickly. The meds worked for me (though quite painful) but they told me when they gave them to me that there was a 10-15% chance that they would still need to do a D&C for complications. I'm so sorry you ended up in this group. ((Hugs))
    photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"