Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Does anyone else's baby not STTN? Help!

I'm fairly sure my baby is an epic sleep fail. She wakes up at 10:30, 1:30, and 5 to eat. We have tried letting her cry it out. Even gave it several days. She is just very persistent. I am not sure what to do. I have an 8 month old that sleeps like a 1 month old. Help!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Does anyone else's baby not STTN? Help!

• Options

Is she getting enough food during the day?  At 8 months, she is likely waking up out of habit and doesn't need to eat.

If you don't want to let her CIO then you can try reducing her ozs during the night so she learns to eat more during the day.  Or just give her water overnight.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD was sleeping 9-5 then 5-6:30 from 3 months - 5 months the past month shes been sleeping from 7-9 then up at 9, 11, 3, 5, then up for the day at 6... Im going through hell right now and have no advice but just wanted to say you're not alone!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO definitely doesn't STTN.  She wakes up twice on a good night, and on a bad night...yikes.  I have no advice, obviously, but I'm definitely in the same boat.  I don't know what the answer is.  I'm hoping she'll magically decide it's time to STTN.  That'll happen, right?
  • Options
    DS isn't a terrible sleeper, but he's never slept more than 8 hours in a row ever, which means he always eats at least once a night. Last night he was up at 10:50, 2:10, and 3:40, and ate at the last two wakeups. And at 1 month old, I would have killed for just three wake-ups. :D
  • Options

My child was sttn at 2-3.5 months.  Now he wakes up 1-2 times on a good night, 6-8 times on a bad night and somewhere in between the majority of the time.  I am so tired I can barely function at work.  I am just not sure what to do about it.

• Options
    DS still wakes up twice a night almost every night. I BF him and he goes right back to sleep, but I'm so over it, too! I know he doesn't truly need to be eating in the middle of the night anymore, but I also know that his body is used to getting the milk. Right now, like PP suggested, I'm trying to lessen the minutes that he nurses each time. Once it gets really quick, like a minute or so, I'm going to start sending DH in or letting him CIO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    MY GRACYN JUST TURNED 6 MOS. SHE UP EVERY 2 HRS.IM READY TO FLIP MY LID,SHE'S GETTING ENOUGH TO EAT I THINK IT'S HER TEETHING.BUT MAN THEY GOT TO COME UP WITH SOMETHING FOR TEETHING PAIN :(
  • Options
    When DS was one month old he slept far worse than that. Some babies still need to eat at night, my DS included, and that's perfectly normal. If you tried CIO and it didn't work, it's not that she's persistent, she actually needs to eat. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My son is up once a night still. He goes to bed at 9pm, gets up to eat at 1am, then sleeps till 5ish, eats and naps until about 8ish. Hes just 6 months old now. :) So really, he only wakes up to eat!
  • Options

Crying it out is not going to work if she's conditioned to be hungry at those times.  What you need to do is gradually extend the times between feedings. Ferber recommends increasing the time between feedings by 30 minutes a night but we used 15 minute intervals.

So if she wakes up 10:30, she doesn't get to eat until 10:45 tonight, 11 tomorrow, 11:15 on Wednesday, etc. It took us about four weeks, but we went from three wake-ups a night to just one at around 2:30am. If she wakes up before 2, we use CIO techniques. 

Our pedi said it's reasonable for her to go eight hours between feedings but probably not longer.  So we're happy with this for now although eventually we'll want to keep pushing back that last feeding.

• Options
    My LO still doesn't STTN . .Last week she had 2 great nights of sleep but since then she still wakes up 3x a night.  She has tummy problems though, has been constipated the last few days  :(
  • Options
    imagemmkaye:

My child was sttn at 2-3.5 months.  Now he wakes up 1-2 times on a good night, 6-8 times on a bad night and somewhere in between the majority of the time.  I am so tired I can barely function at work.  I am just not sure what to do about it.

This exactly. Once upon a time, DS went for 10-11.5 hours straight every single night.

Last night, DS went to sleep at 7:50pm. He woke up at 9:45pm, 10:45pm, 12:05am, 1:45am, 2:45am, 6am, and finally 7:10am for the day. I don't have to try hard to be a zombie for Halloween today. 

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My little one will be 8 mths tomorrow and she still doesn't STTN. She usually wakes up at 2:00 and then again at around 4:30-5:00 to eat. Two nights ago I let her CIO at 2:00 which was extremely hard to do. Last night was the best night in a long time, so letting her CIO a little seemed to work so far.
  • Options
    Clara wakes up once a night, sometimes 2-3 times.  I nurse her and she goes back to sleep.  I've read some about breastfed babies and sleep, and my conclusion is that her behavior is completely normal for a breastfed baby whose mother works.  I'm not worried about it, and maybe I'm a weirdo but I actually enjoy the extra time with her.
    imageBabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"