Upstate NY Babies

Babysitting rates?

We asked one of DS's daycare teachers to babysit for us so we can get out with some of our friends for an evening.  When I asked her what she charged she said "Whatever you think is fair".  I have no idea what to pay her.  She's obviously background checked b/c she works in a daycare, she's early 20's, in college for early childhood education, medication trained, and knows a ton about his food allergies.  I feel like she's worth a million bucks!!!  DH thinks $10/hour is fair and I feel like that's too low.  $15?  What would you pay?  It'll be from around 7pm-midnight or so.  He goes to sleep fairly early. 

Re: Babysitting rates?

• Hmm...I may pay like $12 - but $15 would cost you a darn fortune. I think she would be happy with $50 for the evening. Holy cow...babysitters make a killing now. I made $2/hr when I started and then one family paid me $5/hr and when I came home with $20 I felt like I was a millionaire!
  • Actually - I didn't even think about you having 1 child. $10/hr should be plenty, esp if she is putting him to bed at like 8 and watching TV for the rest of the time. I would just say 7ish to 12ish and we'll pay you $50 for the evening.

Have fun!!!

• Loading the player...
  • imageTelyco:
    Hmm...I may pay like $12 - but $15 would cost you a darn fortune. I think she would be happy with $50 for the evening. Holy cow...babysitters make a killing now. I made $2/hr when I started and then one family paid me $5/hr and when I came home with $20 I felt like I was a millionaire!

haha!  I know, my first babysitting job, I think I made $3/hour!  I did babysit for a family through college who paid me very well and I was always willing to cancel my plans to sit for them because the money was worth it.  That was in 2001 and I was making $10/hr babysitting for them so that's why I was thinking $15/hr.  We rarely go out so paying her a decent amount for a night out here and there won't kill us! 

• imageTelyco:

Actually - I didn't even think about you having 1 child. $10/hr should be plenty, esp if she is putting him to bed at like 8 and watching TV for the rest of the time. I would just say 7ish to 12ish and we'll pay you $50 for the evening.

Have fun!!!

That's a good idea....just do a flat rate deal!

• I do $12 for my sitter who watches L- we havent had her do both boys yet but I might up it to 15 for both- if and when that happens...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"