Upstate NY Babies
Options

Babysitting rates?

We asked one of DS's daycare teachers to babysit for us so we can get out with some of our friends for an evening.  When I asked her what she charged she said "Whatever you think is fair".  I have no idea what to pay her.  She's obviously background checked b/c she works in a daycare, she's early 20's, in college for early childhood education, medication trained, and knows a ton about his food allergies.  I feel like she's worth a million bucks!!!  DH thinks $10/hour is fair and I feel like that's too low.  $15?  What would you pay?  It'll be from around 7pm-midnight or so.  He goes to sleep fairly early. 

Re: Babysitting rates?

• Options
    Hmm...I may pay like $12 - but $15 would cost you a darn fortune. I think she would be happy with $50 for the evening. Holy cow...babysitters make a killing now. I made $2/hr when I started and then one family paid me $5/hr and when I came home with $20 I felt like I was a millionaire!
  • Options

Actually - I didn't even think about you having 1 child. $10/hr should be plenty, esp if she is putting him to bed at like 8 and watching TV for the rest of the time. I would just say 7ish to 12ish and we'll pay you $50 for the evening.

Have fun!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageTelyco:
    Hmm...I may pay like $12 - but $15 would cost you a darn fortune. I think she would be happy with $50 for the evening. Holy cow...babysitters make a killing now. I made $2/hr when I started and then one family paid me $5/hr and when I came home with $20 I felt like I was a millionaire!

haha!  I know, my first babysitting job, I think I made $3/hour!  I did babysit for a family through college who paid me very well and I was always willing to cancel my plans to sit for them because the money was worth it.  That was in 2001 and I was making $10/hr babysitting for them so that's why I was thinking $15/hr.  We rarely go out so paying her a decent amount for a night out here and there won't kill us! 

• Options
    imageTelyco:

Actually - I didn't even think about you having 1 child. $10/hr should be plenty, esp if she is putting him to bed at like 8 and watching TV for the rest of the time. I would just say 7ish to 12ish and we'll pay you $50 for the evening.

Have fun!!!

That's a good idea....just do a flat rate deal!

• Options
    I do $12 for my sitter who watches L- we havent had her do both boys yet but I might up it to 15 for both- if and when that happens...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"