September 2011 Moms
Options

Is this true? BFing length of time

G has developed this awesome habit of wanting to feed for an hour plus during the middle of the night... and sometimes during the day too. He continues to give long nutritive sucks off and on during this whole time, mixed with some short little fluttery sucks.
I mentioned this to MIL today and she told me that after 15-20 minutes of nursing, a baby has drained your breast and they are just comfort nursing past that point.

Truth or half truth? If this is true, how the heck do I get my kid to stop wanting to eat for so long? He won't take a paci during these marathons and he starts fussing/crying when I try to unlatch him.

My Heart!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Is this true? BFing length of time

• Options
    Our pedi told us the same thing.  She said after about 20 minutes, if he's still hungry to switch breasts.  If I'm not pressed for time (and it's not the middle of the night) I usually just let him go until he's finished.  But if he were eating an hour in the middle of the night I think I'd seriously consider taking him off after 20 min on each side...assuming he wouldn't throw a fit :)  It's easier for me to get him back to bed if he finishes eating on his own.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Henry - Born October 1, 2011 Baby #2 - Due August 30, 2013!
  • Options

I think it's true... I had the same problem (except I wasn't offering a paci) and told my pedi about it and he said that after 15 minutes (on each breast) the baby has drained all the milk. I think I might just over produce though because mine are never drained after only 15 minutes!

That being said I don't know what you could do to soothe him after the 30 minutes are up... My LO has been taking the MAMs paci and occassionally NUK. Have you tried a variety of pacis? If he wants to comfort suck there has to be one out there he'll take! Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'd call this a half-truth.  Most babies, especially as they're older, get more efficient at emptying your breast.  I don't know if that's true of one-month-olds, however, and the fact that he alternates between little fluttery sucks and big swigs sounds like he's still getting let-downs out of you.  I think if he won't take a paci, he either still wants to eat, or he doesn't like the paci you have.  

DS has been doing this almost non-stop from around 9 to midnight for the last several days.  I also think he likes to comfort suck but he doesn't seem crazy about the Soothie pacifier, either.  I eventually top him off with 2 oz. of formula because it seems to be the only thing that makes him happy besides living on me, and I need to shower/get ready for bed at SOME point.  

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • Options
    that seems so long! I would never last in the middle of the night! DS is usually done completely in 20 minutes, sometimes 30. I don't know the truth behind that comment but I did hear something along those lines also. Like the PP, DS has been taking NUK and MAM paci's the best so far out of the ones we have tried but it is still a major work in progress. He looks like he will be a thumb sucker and I am trying to avoid that.
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageGeekchick921:

I'd call this a half-truth.  Most babies, especially as they're older, get more efficient at emptying your breast.  I don't know if that's true of one-month-olds, however, and the fact that he alternates between little fluttery sucks and big swigs sounds like he's still getting let-downs out of you.  I think if he won't take a paci, he either still wants to eat, or he doesn't like the paci you have.  

DS has been doing this almost non-stop from around 9 to midnight for the last several days.  I also think he likes to comfort suck but he doesn't seem crazy about the Soothie pacifier, either.  I eventually top him off with 2 oz. of formula because it seems to be the only thing that makes him happy besides living on me, and I need to shower/get ready for bed at SOME point.  

He takes a Soothie during the day sometimes but has a hard time keeping it in for more than 5 minutes unless we are holding it for him. He just shakes his head and screams when we try to switch it out for my boob at night.

He definitely still sounds like he is swallowing/ long sucking right up till the end but I wasn't sure if he was somehow faking himself out and just swallowing air? He has had A LOT of issues with gas. Like keeping us up for an hour with gas pains, trying every gas drop, gripe water, shoulder hold in the book!

I thought about topping him off with formula to try and satisfy him, but with his gassy issues I worry the formula could make matters worse.

My Heart!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Its true. Thats why if LO wants to comfort nurse at night (waking after a loud noise or after eating) i offer her the same breast that she last fed on so she doesnt over eat and spit up.

If you think your DS is still hungry then switch sides, if not then by all means stay on the one side. As far as how to get him to stop...i try to see when Pearl is asleep and use my pinkie to break her suction then pat her back and ssh her.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageGeekchick921:

Ditto to this about being half-true. I also agree with PP who recommending offering the other breast. I'd say to try and hand express to see if YOU can get anything out of that breast because if so that puppy hasn't been drained. The real question here is are you uncomfortable with him comfort sucking. Some moms don't like it and some want to provide that. It seems like staying up to let him nurse will help you sleep longer in the long run if nothing else will soothe him. I found side-lying nursing to be helpful for nights so I drift in and out of sleep and she can still nurse. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageGeekchick921:

Agreed on it being half-truth. also, I was told your breasts are never truly empty because you are constantly making more milk, so LO may still be getting drops the whole time

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that up until 6 weeks you should let them nurse as long as they want to in order to help build your milk supply.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    msmarsh....I don't have any help with your BF dilemma...just wanted to say i LOVE the pic of your LO in your siggy!! :) It's priceless!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I went through the same thing with DD.  Everyone told me she would get more efficient at eating but she always took 45 min to an hour to eat.  When DS#1 came around, I had to chase a toddler so the hour of feeding in every three wasn't working.  I went to see a LC and she helped me to see the signs that baby was finished eating and was more or less pacifying and it usually was about 25 minutes into the feed.  I would take him off and offer the second breast but he usually just fell asleep. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"