Parenting after 35

Anybody else not trick-or-treating tonight?

My husband and I decided to shut the doors and ignore Halloween tonight. Our daughter is only two years old, we just had a birthday party on Saturday, we're exhausted and we just don't want any more sweet foods! Are we bad parents? 
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anybody else not trick-or-treating tonight?

• No, you are pregnant parents. She will not miss it.  However, you might get calls from neighbors wondering where your cutie is in her costume.  Three of my neighbors made special "treat bags" for Michael and those are the only houses we went to.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You're not bad at all!  I'm only taking Charles around to a few friends on our block.  And we're going early so I can get back home before most of the kids are out.

I think it's so fun to see all the kids in their cute outfits.

• Loading the player...
  • No.  DH took DD around to our immediate neighbors when DD was 2 and then she went to bed as normal while one of us hung outside to keep the doorbell from ringing.  DS will only go to immediate neighbors' homes and then we head home while DH and DD hit more homes.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Not bad parents. Obviously, I wouldn't understand anything, so we are not taking him around. However, we will have candies for trick-or-treat-ers. I can not hide, simply because all the neighbors will know that we are at home. So they will make sure they knock loud enough so we hear! I just hope all is over by 8-9 pm, so I can get some sleep. Ian has the longest 4 hour sleep stretch from 8 to midnight :(
  • Oh, good, so glad to hear we're not the only ones. I think we might put on her costume from daycare (she asked to be a chicken) and visit a couple of neighbours. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't breaking some social protocol (even though I've lived in the US for nearly six years, I'm still working out all of the etiquette!). 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd have done the same thing!

We WERE going to trick-or-treat but we live in Northern NJ and the snowfall and power outages (not us, but most of our town) caused town officials to "cancel" it. They don't want people on the streets--especially with no street lights.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • We took our LO & our dog for a walk on each side of our street so our LO could see our close neighbors (LO was a witch, our dog was the Headless Horseman's horse). We had a few neighbors stop us so they could see the baby, then we came back home & gave out treats. 

We had not quite 20 ToT'ers between 5 - 7 PM (our town's designated ToT time is 3 - 7 PM; we didn't get home from our daycare's Halloween open house).

I kind of think the day of the week has something to do with whether or not you're into Halloween that particular year. Weeknights, you don't have the next day to "recover", KWIM?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We live in the middle of nowhere so I'm not going back out to "the city" just to get candy. We went to the pumpkin patch on Saturday so that was our Halloween outing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"