Special Needs
Options

Medicine timing and sleep

My LO needs to take a medication every 8 hours (3 times daily). Since he started the medication at 1 month, we've been on a 6am-2pm-10pm schedule. This has worked well so far with DS sleep schedule and our sleep schedule. DS is now getting older, however, and will need to go to sleep earlier than 10pm. This medication does have some leeway with timing, so I can stretch it to 9pm and then 6am, but not earlier than that.

Anybody else have similar issues? I will discuss this with the doc at our next appt, but want to see if anybody has any tips or advice.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Medicine timing and sleep

• Options
    Our son takes a liquid medicine from a syringe, and he got to the point where he could kind of wake up, suck it down, and go back to sleep without ever fully wakening. Also, maybe your doctor will be able to brainstorm a different formulation of the medication or a different med that will work for you.
  • Options
    Nothing quite like that, but given his age, he'll start going to bed earlier and he'll also probably start waking up later soon - the average night is like 10-12 hours eventually. When we needed to dose DS with antibiotics after surgery, we found that there was a "sweet spot" in the middle of the night where he wasn't too asleep to wake, but not in too light of a sleep to go back to sleep. So maybe a just before bedtime, then 8 hours after that (to coincide with a middle of the night bottle perhaps) and then slightly later in the morning routine?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think what you need to ask the doctor is if it is 3x daily or every X hours apart. If 3x daily, then it is likely that you can do the 3 doses during the waking hours. If the medicine is one where it needs to be given X hours apart, then you'll need to work it into sleeping and hopefully it is something that could be done quickly where he won't fully wake up.
  • Options

imageMaxandRuby:
    I think what you need to ask the doctor is if it is 3x daily or every X hours apart. If 3x daily, then it is likely that you can do the 3 doses during the waking hours. If the medicine is one where it needs to be given X hours apart, then you'll need to work it into sleeping and hopefully it is something that could be done quickly where he won't fully wake up.

It's every 8 hours, but like I said, there is a leeway of an hour or so.

Also, we do mix the medicine with a small bit of milk and give it in a medicine "bottle". So the few times that he fell asleep before medicine time we were able to give it to him while he was half asleep. So we didn't have to fully wake him and he went straight back to sleep after. This may be what we will need to do.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"