Two Under 2
Options

Croup - will my newborn cat h it from my toddler

Last night DD awoke with a cough that sounds like croup. I already have the humidifier going and I gave her some ibuprofen (she had a low grade fever of 99.5 and I thought it would ease the discomfort in her throat). I'm really worried that my 5 week old will catch it. They don't interact much and he's breastfed, so I'm hoping thats on my side. And of course I'm washing my hands like crazy. If my infant catches it, is it dangerous? And what about DD? Is it dangerous for her? I have zero experience with croup.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Croup - will my newborn cat h it from my toddler

• Options

My pedi says croup is a symptom not a sickness. DS gets that croupy cough whenever he gets a cold. Cold air sometimes helps the cough, so opening the freezer while he's in your arms for a few seconds sometimes helps. Also the shower running on hot and sitting the bathroom then walking out into the hallway sometimes helps too. 

DD got a cold from DS at 5 weeks and it wasnt fun. I had to keep her on an incline and use saline and suction a lot. I BF too so I actually put a few drops of BM in her nose a bit to help clear her and protect her a bit.

Just try to do all you can, but know with more a toddler in the home its hard to keep everyone healthy all the time.And dont be afraid to take the newborn to the pedi if you are nervous, better to be safe. 

GL and I hope your LO doesnt get it.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Croup is inflammation of the airways (hence the barking cough from inflammed airways) due to a virus - usually paramyxovirus, so any virus can be contagious. My DD had croup when my son was a few weeks old. I slept on the floor in her room that night b/c it can progress rapidly, and I wanted to monitor her breathing since she has a history of bronchiolitis (DS was still co-sleeping at the time), so I had DH do all of his night feedings so I didn't have to go back and forth. I just made sure I washed my hands before touching/holding DS and he was fine.
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"