C-sections

C-sections and exercise

I twins almost 2 years ago and for the last 7-8 months I've really been working out trying to get my abs back. I was lucky to have zero stretch marks from my pregnancy (probably due to all the water I drank) and I am 10lbs under pre-pregnancy weight but I still can't get my abs to 'go back' together.

Just wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience or if anybody has any exercises that help the abs return to (almost) 'normal'?

Re: C-sections and exercise

• I don't have any advice but I remember you from the Knot.  Twins!  They are darling!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Jack Emmett born on 2/2/10 after 17 cycles and a miscarriage
    Calvin Wyatt born on 1/10/12. Our surprise baby!

EP Facebook Group ~*~ My Baby/Life Blog
  • My biggest advice when you are just starting is to go really slowly and do all the modified versions. That will give your abs time to strengthen and go inward rather than being overtaxed and sticking out. You can also use a large rolled towel wrapped around your belly for some extra support. Lindsay Brin has some excellent diastisis recti information and exercises on her site. www.momsintofitness.com.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I think what you're talking about is a diastasis. I don't know how big the separation is between your abs, but check amazon. Years ago, before I ever became pregnant, I came across some really great workout dvd's that focus specifically on women with diastasis who have just given birth. Some of the women had a 3-4 inch separation and the workouts helped to close it.

My upper abs have been fine since my c/s 2 yrs ago, but I'm pretty sure my lower abs are shot forever. Once they cut through the muscle I think the only way to get it back to "normal" is surgery. It looks fine though, as long as I don't ever gain a bunch of weight in my stomach lol. 

• Sounds like you have diastasis.I too had twins almost 2 years ago and my OB confirmed for me about 8-10 wks pp after my DDs were born that my lower abs had separated during my pg. She told me to avoid isolated ab work (i.e. crunches, situps, etc.) as it would potentially make it worse. Instead, she had me lay off ab work for 6+ months pp and just do core work (i.e. elliptical, treadmill, strength training--nothing isolating the abs). 

At 14 months pp, I got pg again. Fortunately, the diastasis didn't get any worse separated with this pg but I am certain I still have it. Ab workouts that focus on the transverse abdominals and/or certain Pilates moves actually are encouraged to build strength for diastisis.

HTH

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker,Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"