Baby Showers
Options

Language Barrier Question

Hello... my first time posting here, although I am a lurker Smile

Well I am having one big shower with my family and my inlaws combined, my family and personal friends will make up about 25-30 guests and my inlaws will be around 10-15 (if that matters). My inlaws are very sweet and I have a pretty good comfortable relationship with them, as well as with my family, however our families have not really had much contact. My concern is that my inlaws do not have the luxury of having english as their first language, they understand english for the most part and can communicate basic things in english, however, with the language barrier, I want to make the shower as comfortable as possible for all of my guests, and as less akward as possible. My inlaws speak Portuguese and I took 5 years in college so I can communicate very well with them, however my family and friends are clueless in that language dept....

Any thoughts suggestions? Anyone with a simular situation/ experience?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Language Barrier Question

• Options

What did you do at your wedding?  At your wedding shower?  Or any other event where both families were?

My point - don't overthink it.  I'm sure they'll figure it out, and sure, everyone may keep to their "sides", but that happens even w/o a language issue. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

What did you do at your wedding?  At your wedding shower?  Or any other event where both families were?

My point - don't overthink it.  I'm sure they'll figure it out, and sure, everyone may keep to their "sides", but that happens even w/o a language issue. 

Ditto.  I have relatives that speak very little English, while all of DH's family speak nothing but English.  If there is assigned seating (unlikely at a shower), I try to make sure there is a fluent/bilingual person at the table to help ease any translation issues.  At a shower, I wouldn't worry.  No point translating gift opening.  For whoever is hosting your shower, find out what games in advance and if there are written materials, offer to provide the translation. 

Married 5-24-2008;
    BFP 4-19-11. Ezri Ana born on due date, Dec 30 2011!
    My Ovulation Chart 
    BFP 10-05-2014; MMC 11-15-2014.
    BFP 02-17-2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with ECB...don't stress about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"