Pre-School and Daycare

Uh oh... packing lunch

DD's potential preschool does not supply lunch. I have to pack it for her.

Usually at home we have a sandwich, or soup, crackers, yogurt, applesauce... I feel like we have boring lunches. What do I pack for a preschool lunch? I feel like a lame mom having to ask this. I don't want her to have boring lunches...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Uh oh... packing lunch

• If you want to be creative, google it.  laptoplunches.com has good suggestions.  I have a 3 thing rotation right now and it's totally old- PB&J, cream cheese on pita, english muffin pizza.  DD won't eat much meat, doesn't like hummus or beans, so I'm a bit at a loss for protein.  I wouldn't worry about boring lunches.  Most kids bring sandwiches.  I was trying to be totally creative until I asked DD what the other kids eat.  Now I don't worry about it too much, although I'd like to add a few options to the rotation.  By the way, you could also get a small hot thermos to send soup, stew, leftovers or anything else you want to heat up.  I've been holding off because the ones at Target are $15 and I think that's ridiculous.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekmhunt11:
    If you want to be creative, google it.  laptoplunches.com has good suggestions.  I have a 3 thing rotation right now and it's totally old- PB&J, cream cheese on pita, english muffin pizza.  DD won't eat much meat, doesn't like hummus or beans, so I'm a bit at a loss for protein.  I wouldn't worry about boring lunches.  Most kids bring sandwiches.  I was trying to be totally creative until I asked DD what the other kids eat.  Now I don't worry about it too much, although I'd like to add a few options to the rotation.  By the way, you could also get a small hot thermos to send soup, stew, leftovers or anything else you want to heat up.  I've been holding off because the ones at Target are $15 and I think that's ridiculous.  

The thermos is an excellent idea! I hadn't even considered that. We make a lot of crock pot soups and stews and she loves them. 

• Loading the player...
  • I just got motivated and ordered a thermos on laptoplunches.  No, they're not paying me to advertise, I just really like their stuff :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I, too, was worried that DS' lunches were boring. He doesn't eat a lot of warm stuff except for macaroni and cheese, so we rotated between PBJ, ham sammies, cheese sammie, with various sides like cheese, yogurt, crackers, fruit, etc.Sometimes I tried just meat chunks and cheese and crackers. I asked recently at conferences if he ate his lunch and his teachers said he always did- which made me happy because while they might be boring, they are always healthy and well-balanced. Then she praised me because she said there were several kids in the class who literally eat the same three things every day because they are so picky. So that made me feel better. When I grew up it was sammich, fruit, and treat every.single.day. I know I'm doing better than that!
  • It will vary based on limits your school sets.  Most schools these days are peanut free so be sure to ask (or they just have peanut free tables).  For my DD, we don't have to do lunches all the time, just on certain days.  Her school is peanut free and we do a lot of cheese and crackers, fruit and yogurt type of things.  Bagels.  She is a little strange and loves cheese and apple jelly sandwiches (no clue how she came up with that).  We don't do anything that has to be hot as they can't microwave and I just don't think food stays warm enough in a thermas.  I have sent noodles as she doesn't mind those cold.  We also do some basic meats with cheese on bread or with crackers.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • We do lunch every day and the school is totally nut free. For snack I usually pack one of those squeeze packs (like happy pack) that have veggie puree in them with a little thing of cheerios or raisins. For lunch I do lots of sun butter (sunflower seed butter)and banana or jelly sandwiches, which i use a lunch punch or cookie cutters on bagels and cream cheese, crackers and cheese, a variety of veggies- he especially likes roasted red peppers or squash, or baby corn. Dried fruit, granola bars, leftovers of any sort.

I have found the thermos brand thermos with the sipppy spout to keep his milk so cold it is still crisp when he gets home at 1, my trick is I fill the thermos up the night before so it sits in the fridge all night. The hot thermos keeps soup piping hot if you fill it with super hot water and let it sit a few minutes before you put the foodin it.

<<Br> I use the Easy lunch box system and it is so easy to pack. There are little partioned bits so I don't have to keep search for a bunch of tops and I can visually see how many things he has. It is just the right size for him. Since I am making it anyhow I pack a second so DH has one and sometimes even make myself one. The easy lunch box really simplifies it for me. The laptop lunch would probably do the same.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"