Pre-School and Daycare

PB&J Alternative for Fall Festival

DD has a child with a peanut allergy in her class, and I have signed up for sandwiches for Friday. I usually do turkey and ham with and without cheese slices and no condiments on the smart white (we eat wheat, but most kids don't). Are there any alternatives? Any other ideas of fun, tasty sandwiches that are PB free?
DD#1 11.7.07 - DD#2 11.2.10 (3rd Tri Loss)- DD#3 4.18.12

Re: PB&J Alternative for Fall Festival

• They make some faux peanut butters, but I have never tried them.  Cream cheese and jam is always good.  You could cut them out with pumpkin or leaf cookie cutters.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've heard sunbutter is a popular choice for peanut-free people. I've never tried it but I've seen it in the store and it looks similar to peanut butter.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMainelyFoolish:
    I've heard sunbutter is a popular choice for peanut-free people. I've never tried it but I've seen it in the store and it looks similar to peanut butter.

This. Our preschool is nut free, and while none of my kids have allergies, I had to find an alternative.

None of my kids liked the Soynut butter, but the Sunbutter they would eat. I think it tastes bad and has an aftertaste I don't like, but since the kids ate it, it wasn't an issue.

I would go with the cream cheese and jelly sandwiches though. 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Cream cheese and jelly is a good choice.  FWIW, my son is allergic to all nuts.  We use Sunbutter and DS loves it, however it is impossible to tell the difference between Sunbutter and peanut butter just by looking at them.  DS's preschool doesn't allow the peanut butter substitutes for this reason, its just too hard to tell.  I'd be uncomfortable with my son eating a substitute prepared by someone else.  I know that probably sounds crazy, but its a life threatening allergy and there is just no room for error.  Sticking with something that is clearly nut-free would be an easier choice all around.

• To Halloween any sandwich buy a big metal cookie cutter and cut it out in the shape of a pumpkin or a ghost :)
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Thank you, ladies, I would never have thought of cream cheese and jam!
    DD#1 11.7.07 - DD#2 11.2.10 (3rd Tri Loss)- DD#3 4.18.12
  • DS has a peanut allergy.  We now use Sunbutter instead.  He loves it.

Also, cream cheese and jam is good. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"