Houston Babies
Options

weaning questions...

bear with me as I'm totally lost ;-)

It should be a bit easier for me to wean C as she's bottle fed all week long. Correct? 

My supply is rapidly dropping so I'm hoping the process won't be too painful.  Would keeping the morning and night sessions for a bit help with that?

Will it be possible to wean her from all daily sessions by Dec?  She turns 1 Nov 30. We are going skiing Dec 25 and I can't exactly pump on the slopes ;-) I also don't want to even take it with me. She will be XC skiing with my parents during the day.

Re: weaning questions...

• Options

I just weaned Collin who turned 1 on October 11th, so here was my experience.

I normally breastfed him in the morning and after both naps.  He stopped taking a nighttime feeding on his own months ago.  After he turned 1, I stopped feeding him after the 1st nap since he didn't seem interested in that feeding as much as the others.  After a week of that I started only feeding him in the morning after he woke up since that is the feeding he was most attached to.  I was going to do that for as long as he needed, but after a week he seemed like he could really care less about it, so we stopped!  I haven't fed him or pumped since Friday morning and I feel fine.  There was no pain and no fullness on my part.

I only gave him milk in sippy cups, no bottles also.  When he gets fussy I give him extra hugs and kisses and sneak in an extra snuggle when I can, but he doesn't seem to miss nursing at all.

Good luck!  It only took me 2 weeks so I think you'll be just fine by December.

Abbie Rose 9.26.2004
    Collin Thayne 10.11.2010
  • Options
    My supply tanked around month 7, so I just started dropping pumping sessions at work, since it didn't seem worth my while when I was only getting a  few ounces.  From 3 sessions to 2 sessions to 1 session (probably a week or a few days of each).  Then I stopped pumping all together at work and just BFed in the morning and night, then eventually just stopped doing that - probably over 2 weeks.  It was over the course of a month (but probably could have done it in a shorter period of time) - so I think you should be able to do it no problem if you are trying to wean by mid-December.  I had no engorgement and no issues.  I finished up my frozen stash right around the same time I stopped BFing - so after that I didn't have to worry about anything anymore (and it was actually NICE!)  :-)  GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was exclusively pumping so I dropped them one by one, 4-5 days in between.  I left the morning and evening to last.  I know I did it in under a month and never had any pain.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I intended on slowly weaning Cooper, by going to two feeding per day.  Instead we went cold turkey in one weekend.  I tried nursing him 3-4 times and he just didn't want to.  Instead of fighting it, I decided that was the end.  My supply was so low that I just had to hand express in the shower a few times to relieve some pain and that was it.  I never did the cabbage leaves, but I did take some sudafed to help speed up the process.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"