May 2012 Moms

Is ANY sushi safe during pregnancy?

Prior to getting pregnant, I pretty much lived on sushi.  I love it!!  Obviously, I know that I'm supposed to limit some fish intake and completely avoid others.  However, is any sushi safe to eat while pregnant?  For example, can I have California rolls, spider rolls, or Philadelphia rolls (where the salmon is not raw, but smoked)????

I know that for the duration of my pregnancy I have to give up salmon sashimi and the like, but what about the sushi rolls that are fully cooked???

Re: Is ANY sushi safe during pregnancy?

• Ha this was me before pregnancy. I ate sushi 3x week. Now I just eat shrimp tempura rolls and veggie rolls and it squashes the craving for me. But to be honest, I haven't been wanting sushi anymore
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think smoked salmon is out bc of the nitrates, but everything else cooked is fair game.  I've had shrimp, crab, and eel.  Sometimes, you can find cooked scallop rolls too.  Sweet potato rolls can be delicious too! 
    My Chart TTC Since Nov 2010 BFP 12.29.10, M/C 1.13.11 BFP#2 8/25/11 DD born 5/4/12
  • Loading the player...
  • I just stay away from the raw stuff an limit my intake. 
  • I ate philly rolls (among others) during my 1st pg and was fine. Go with your gut and your dr. Mine said cooked/smoked was fine from a reputable place, occasional raw was ok too. Basically if you trust it when your not pg she was fine with it. I didn't really want the raw too much so it wasn't a loss if I decided to avoid it.

some people say no at all costs others say enjoy it with some sake. I think you can do your own research, discuss it with your dr and do what your comfortable with.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • According to my doctor, no. She said many restaurants use the same knives and preparing services, so don't risk it. She did, however, mention that some markets prepare their cooked and raw sushi in separate areas and that I could look into that. I am going to avoid it though. Seems too risky for me. 
    August 2015 January Siggy: Favorite Mean Girl

*BFP #1 9/10/11 Natural m/c 11/1/11 at 11 weeks, 5 days*
    *Diagnosed as unexplained infertility*
    *BFP #2 12/6/14 after IUI#2 Hopeful! EDD 8/14/15*

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagesulilina:
    Ha this was me before pregnancy. I ate sushi 3x week. Now I just eat shrimp tempura rolls and veggie rolls and it squashes the craving for me. But to be honest, I haven't been wanting sushi anymore

JEALOUS!!  I wish I could say the same!  I've had huge food aversions since about 5 weeks - except for sushi.  I am craving it like no other but I'm afraid to eat it, lol.  I will definitely be asking my OB this question at my next appointment.

• Oh how I miss sushi!
  • You should be fine if you eat it in limited quantities, spread it out, and put wasabi on it.  Wasabi kills bacteria.

I had sushi about a week ago and it tasted disgusting to me.  I usually love the stuff. It was a rainbow roll and it tasted like a burped up fish oil pill.  Gross.  I'm not craving sushi anymore!

• I eat cali rolls (which is fake crab anyways) and avocado rolls, veggie rolls, shrimp tempura rolls.

Like someone else said, stay away from anything raw, or with fish eggs on it.  

Married 07/2011 <3
    ID Twin girls 04/2012 <3<3
    Baby #3 Due Jan. 2017  <3

• Anything made with imitation/real crab is fine to eat. Anything with cooked shrimp or baked "whatever".

I have eaten sushi about 3 times since the BFP and I have gotten the Mexican Roll- Spicy crab meat with cucumber, topped with avocado and spicy sauce. Shrimp and Avocado Roll (Self Explanatory)- and an eel roll.

I do miss my spicy tuna and rainbow rolls though. ::Sigh::

• Oh Good Grief...

this post is killing me....now i'm really craving sushi...I may just need to get some veggie sushi :)  

• imagemamalongarms:

You should be fine if you eat it in limited quantities, spread it out, and put wasabi on it.  Wasabi kills bacteria.

I had sushi about a week ago and it tasted disgusting to me.  I usually love the stuff. It was a rainbow roll and it tasted like a burped up fish oil pill.  Gross.  I'm not craving sushi anymore!

I didn't know this.  I guess it's a good thing I love wasabi!!

• My doctor says sushi is fine.  I eat it twice a week.  
  • While wasabi might have slight anti-bacterial properties, it will not help you if there is a serious bacterial problem with the sushi you're eating and it does not kill parasites, which is the main issue with eating sushi while pregnant.  You shouldn't rely on it to make your sushi safer!   

I miss sushi too.  But my sushi place has a pretty good chicken tempura roll.  I get that, along with a vegetable roll and these things called tofu skins.  It's not as good as the sushi I used to eat, but it helps with the cravings!  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • cooked sushi is not likely to have any dangerous bacteria... BUT often sushi is all prepared on the same surface by the same chefs... who are also handling the non-cooked stuff.  here's the thing with foods that are sketchy during pregnancy:  you're gonna have lots of people saying "oh i ate that all through my last pregnancy and my kid turned out fine" but you also hear of alcoholic mothers whose kids happen to turn out fine.  personally i think it's best to avoid anything that could be exposing you to danger.  i LOVE sushi but have been avoiding even the cooked stuff just to be safe.  it's a very low risk... but if you're the lucky person who happens to get listeria you'll definitely regret it!
    Preemie mom! Born 10 weeks early but Mommy and baby are both doing great!! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not all sushi places use the same knives and boards to prep raw and cooked sushi, for the record.

I would personally avoid market sushi, as it is more likely to have been sitting out and thus more likely to contain bacteria.

My OB's stance (and my research agrees, though I've read the other articles on it too) is that sushi is perfectly fine if you get it from a reliable/reputable place that you have been before.  She said that raw fish was fine in limited quantities as well, because you are buying from a place that has fresh fish stored properly.  Her bigger concern was mercury content.

For our anniversary - about 7 weeks pregnant - we went to our favorite sushi place.  I wasn't feeling much outside soup (I had two wonderful bowls of soup), but I had half an Alaskan roll (raw salmon) and it was delicious.  I'm expecting to go out again for sushi in the next couple of risks.

Certainly not everyone wants to take risks, but I feel this is a fairly limited one, and I am comfortable with it and my OB backs me.  Do what is within your level of comfort, given your OB's advice.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

• I feel your pain... I pretty much lived on sushi, seafood, and lunch meat.  I am seriously at a loss of what to eat these days, I really don't care for chicken or beef and everything tastes so blah and boring. 

I think cooked sushi is ok.  I've heard the knife thing, and I am generally really cautious, but seriously, I think that's BS as long as you go to a reputable place that you trust.  I used to get sushi at this hole in the wall place near work so that's totally out, but we've gone to solid restaurants with a good reputation where I had shrimp tempura, veggie, california and other cooked rolls.  Not quite the same as my beloved spicy tuna, but not much I can do until May 17 :-) DH is already aware that for my push present, he is to deliver a large boat of raw fish sushi to the hospital as soon as I give birth :-)

***S/PAIFW***TTC since forever ago....

DH-34-MFI-motility+morphology.... Me-32-Hypothyrpid+LPD

7/8/11: Clomid100mg+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN

8/2/11: Clomid50mg+Ovidrel+IUI#2=BFFN

8/25/11: Follistim50iu+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFP!!!!@14dpo

Beta#1 9/8 - 251 Beta#2 9/15 - 1622 Beta#3 9/22 - 12674

1st U/S; heard one beautiful HB of 129 - 9/29/11

OB visit; HB of 166 - 10/13/11

2nd US; HB of 163 - 10/18/11

A/S - 12/9/11 - It's a perfect healthy BOY!!!!

Our miracle baby boy - born 5/24/12

• If you feel comfortable with making some at home that would be my suggestion. That way you control what goes in it and how's it's made
    May 2012 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thanksgiving Day Food Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Do what you and your OB are comfortable with- there's no right answer to this question. We had sushi for dinner tonight, some of which was raw. It was heavenly.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • you can eat any of the rolls with no raw fish, like the ones with steamed shrimp, or the crab meat are fine, california rolls are safe too, I already told my hubby I want some sushi this weekend
    Number 3 Here we come! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sushi actually sounds really good to me right now.  I've been craving salty/vinegary tastes lately and the thought of (cooked) sushi with soy sauce sounds really appealing right now. ;-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"