May 2011 Moms

The AAP finally got smart. Get bumpers out of the cribs...

https://www.cnn.com/2011/10/18/health/no-bumpers-cribs-sids-parenting/index.html

Since we are on the topic of blankets in cribs, this statement really stuck out at me.

"Since the AAP released its landmark guidelines in 1992 that all babies be placed on their backs to sleep, deaths from SIDS dramatically decreased initially, but have plateaued in recent years. At the same time, sleep-related deaths from other causes, including suffocation, entrapment and asphyxia, have increased."

Scary stuff.  

I hope the retailers start following suit.  I will however continue to use the breathable bumper, but I do understand the AAP's rec to not have anything at all in the crib. 

Also interesting...the addition of breastfeeding and vaccinations as factors that decrease SIDS risks.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: The AAP finally got smart. Get bumpers out of the cribs...

• imageLisa Frank:

I hope the retailers start following suit.  I will however continue to use the breathable bumper, but I do understand the AAP's rec to not have anything at all in the crib. 

Also interesting...the addition of breastfeeding and vaccinations as factors that decrease SIDS risks.  

I don't know about the no breathable bumpers thing. It may only be uncomfortable but it won't hurt my daughter to have those in there and it will keep her from waking up because she's uncomfortable.

I really liked the BF and vaccine part. :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • imageMrsSparklebottom:
    DS slept in his crib last night, and when I got up at 5:30 to check on him he had his face smashed against the side of the crib. I can't imagine if I'd had a bumper on there.

This.  He's gotten his arm stuck in the slats twice now - but he moves so much and ends up right against the edge I'm not comfortable with it. 

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes

And very interesting about vaccines protecting against SIDS.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageCanuckFan03:

imageMrsSparklebottom:
    DS slept in his crib last night, and when I got up at 5:30 to check on him he had his face smashed against the side of the crib. I can't imagine if I'd had a bumper on there.

This.  He's gotten his arm stuck in the slats twice now - but he moves so much and ends up right against the edge I'm not comfortable with it. 

Okay, Canuck. I'm going to put you on the spot, because I like you...and I'm genuinely curious, because you responded in that thread the other day. 

If you aren't comfortable with that scenario, how can you possibly be comfy with him having a small blanket in the crib?  Is it because it's breathable? Again, I'm honestly curious how you can justify one, but not the other.  (sorry if you hate me and think I'm a meanie now. lol)

• My guess is that the BF/SIDS thing is because people who BF are more likely to co-sleep (as in baby in the room, not the same as bedsharing). 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageAnneShirleyBlythe:
    My guess is that the BF/SIDS thing is because people who BF are more likely to co-sleep (as in baby in the room, not the same as bedsharing). 

This. In addition to the fact that *most* EBF babies wake more frequently than FF due to BM digesting more quickly/easily, especially in the earliest months.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"