May 2011 Moms

Sleeping with a blanky

Ugh. I think I totally screwed myself. I didn't realize it but I guess I set Evan up to bond with his Aden and Anais blankets (he would have one in his car seat, and in his swing). So when I go to try and wean him from the swaddle for overnight, the ONLY thing that will calm him is if he has one of those blankets in there with him.

Of course I can't sleep knowing it's in there with him (hello, strangulation and suffication risk!) so I tried letting him fall asleep with it, then took it away.  Have done this multiple times and every.single.time he wakes right up and is in full freak out mode.

Most nights end with me having to put him back in the darn swaddle, which he then fights on and off for the rest of the night.

Sorry this wasn't extremely coherent, I'm running on 4 hours of sleep.

Any ideas on deswaddling? Thoughts on the blankey? I thought about maybe cutting one up so it's the size of a kleenex or something... I don't know.Indifferent

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sleeping with a blanky

• I don't think you've done anything horrible.  Having a security object is part of "self" soothing -- a skill that your baby has learned.  I understand your concern about suffocation risks, but in my opinion, A & A blankets are about the best possible blanket that you could have in a crib since they are so light/breathable.  You could also consider the A & A security blanket that is much smaller than a full on swaddle blanket, and has some satin edging.  I think they're about the size of a bigger burp cloth.  Tons of styles/colors/patters, Amazon sells them in packs of 2.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageLacieMI:
    I don't think you've done anything horrible.  Having a security object is part of "self" soothing -- a skill that your baby has learned.  I understand your concern about suffocation risks, but in my opinion, A & A blankets are about the best possible blanket that you could have in a crib since they are so light/breathable.  You could also consider the A & A security blanket that is much smaller than a full on swaddle blanket, and has some satin edging.  I think they're about the size of a bigger burp cloth.  Tons of styles/colors/patters, Amazon sells them in packs of 2.

I would do this.  I now give my LO a small blankie - and when he finds it again in his crib he goes back to sleep.  I wouldn't fight it, I would just find a MUCH smaller version of an AA.  

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • THIS is why I love the bump.  Thank you for telling me about these! I just ordered the 2 pack off Amazon (2 day shipping..woot!).  Fingers crossed they do the trick!
  • Our DS actually sleeps with his A&A blanket! Im not too concerned bc they really are breahable.  however the security blankets look really great too, and for $15.00, what a deal!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Our pediatrician actually told us to use an A&A blanket in the crib (only up to DD's waist).  We usually just dress her in footie pajamas, but we've used the blankets a few times.  
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • My daughter's slept with a blanket every night.  She isn't swaddled anymore, we just quit when she was going through a very wiggly fussy period and apparently she was done with swaddling.  But she likes snuggling with a blanket.  And our house is cold.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagepinkflipflops44:
    My daughter's slept with a blanket every night.  She isn't swaddled anymore, we just quit when she was going through a very wiggly fussy period and apparently she was done with swaddling.  But she likes snuggling with a blanket.  And our house is cold.

But you tuck it in, right? So your baby can't roll over a couple times and wrap it around her head? This isn't one of those "one in a million everything causes SIDS" things... it's one of those "don't leave your baby in the bathtub alone" sort of things.

• My DD has become quite attached to a square Little Giraffe blanket that we have. It's a small square, nothing huge.  Problem is, she likes to nuzzle it but then will pull it over her face, and then her arms get wrapped up in it and she can't figure out how to get the blanket off of her face.

So, please...be careful with any sort of blanket in the crib.

• imagepinkflipflops44:
    My daughter's slept with a blanket every night.  She isn't swaddled anymore, we just quit when she was going through a very wiggly fussy period and apparently she was done with swaddling.  But she likes snuggling with a blanket.  And our house is cold.

Yes

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageelisbu:

imagepinkflipflops44:

Yes

Is this you admitting that you do the same? A thumbs up? Really? 

SMH.

Both of my kids have slept in footie sleepers with nothing in the crib. Even a sleep sack. My DS is perfectly fine even in the cold north winters. And DD is surviving just as well.

A blanket in the crib at 5 months is, in one word....STUPID. You might as well put the bumpers back in your crib.  

• imageLisa Frank:

A blanket in the crib at 5 months is, in one word....STUPID. You might as well put the bumpers back in your crib.  

I'll take bets some posters never took them out...

• imagetokenhoser:
    imageLisa Frank:

While I say that, I'm also not opposed to bumpers AT THE APPROPRIATE TIME.  5 months? Not so much.

I consider my DD (and my DS) to be motor-advanced but I've seen what my DD does with her blankie. I'm not comfortable with that happening in the crib while I'm sleeping at night.  

• I'm gonna blow your minds......my DS sleeps with a A& A blankie in a crib with breathable bumpers and ON HIS BELLY!! Dear god someone call DSS.  Oh by the way we also put cereal in his bottle! hahaha.  So for those of you that are preparing your nasty flames.....the cereal and belly are because of Severe GERD, and the belly position is actually preferred to back when such GERD exists.  So really the whole point of this is that some of you really need to relax on your comments. People write responses in order to help, not to be torn apart. We all have different parenting skills, and all love our children with all of our hearts.  So chill out! its been done and its annoying.
  • imageMereMM7:
    I'm gonna blow your minds......my DS sleeps with a A& A blankie in a crib with breathable bumpers and ON HIS BELLY!! Dear god someone call DSS.  Oh by the way we also put cereal in his bottle! hahaha.  So for those of you that are preparing your nasty flames.....the cereal and belly are because of Severe GERD, and the belly position is actually preferred to back when such GERD exists.  So really the whole point of this is that some of you really need to relax on your comments. People write responses in order to help, not to be torn apart. We all have different parenting skills, and all love our children with all of our hearts.  So chill out! its been done and its annoying.

Breathable bumper? That's not what we are talking about.

Chill? No, you chill.

• Yep, we use a blanket after we lay her on her belly. We have since we brought her home as suggested by NICU and our pedi to help her control her temp. Now it's just a comfort item. And her bumper is back on after she woke up screaming because both of her legs were stuck in her crib rails.

I promise, if I am ever in charge of your child, I will put them in the bed the way you are comfortable with. For now, I am going to put my baby in bed the way I (and my pedi and neonatologist) are comfortable with.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagetokenhoser:
    imageLisa Frank:

Oh yeah... comments like these are why I stopped coming here. Thanks for the reminder, ladies. Adios!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1: 9-20-2010 EDD: 5-25-2011 DD #1 born: 5-23-2011
    BFP #2: 6-14-2012 EDD: 2-15-2013 MC: 6-19-2012 5w5d
    BFP #3: 7-18-2012 EDD: 3-26-2012

• imageaimeecasey:
    imagetokenhoser:
    imageLisa Frank:

Oh yeah... comments like these are why I stopped coming here. Thanks for the reminder, ladies. Adios!

Exactly.  I have bumpers in the crib, she sleeps with a blanket, heck she has even started foods. None of you know why I choose this for my daughter.

OP do what you feel is comfortable with and the safety of your baby in mind. I will go look up those A&A blankets too! 

• imageelisbu:

Yep, we use a blanket after we lay her on her belly. We have since we brought her home as suggested by NICU and our pedi to help her control her temp. Now it's just a comfort item. And her bumper is back on after she woke up screaming because both of her legs were stuck in her crib rails.

I promise, if I am ever in charge of your child, I will put them in the bed the way you are comfortable with. For now, I am going to put my baby in bed the way I (and my pedi and neonatologist) are comfortable with.

Same here. LO has been using a blanket since he was in the NICU. DS1 had a bumper on his crib in the beginning. We took it off but he would keep getting his legs stuck in the railing, so his Pedi told us to put it back on and we never had 1 issue with it. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers ellie
  • imageaimeecasey:
    imagetokenhoser:
    imageLisa Frank:

And yet, here you are.  Confused

• imagemullenem:

I'm a bit freaked out about blankets and stuff in the crib ever since I went to the dentist at 5 weeks pp and the hygienist told me about her 10 month old grandson who died at daycare because he suffocated on his blanket (which her daughter told the DCP to put in the crib with him) during a nap.  I have no idea why she told me this story...who in the world tells a new mom about something like that?!  freaked me out. 

It's the scary reality. Which is why I think it's irresponsible to be 'thumbs upping' blankets in the crib. Meh.  Apparently, I'm a big ole' meanie for this advice. lol 

• I guess I can be lumped in with the stupid idiot mothers...I have a couple bumpers on her crib. 
  • There is advice and then there are immature comments. 

It's not advised to have blankets in the crib. So be careful if you decide to use one.  We happen to put our 5 month old on top of a blanket which our doc said was just fine.  He just likes to have it there.  And he has a little lovey that we occasionally throw in there.  

• imageLiluBee:

There is advice and then there are immature comments. 

This was my point! Advice would be great.....but words like "stupid" are not helpful. And it's obvious that these people are repeat offenders. just my OPINION!

• imageLiluBee:

It's not advised to have blankets in the crib. So be careful if you decide to use one.  We happen to put our 5 month old on top of a blanket which our doc said was just fine.  He just likes to have it there.  And he has a little lovey that we occasionally throw in there.  

Yes, I was nice...at first.

Speaking of repeat offenders however, I've seen elisbu go around advocating things to people here, just because "it works for her." Cool. Great.  But, it's a bit irresponsible not to put some sort of disclaimer along with your "thumbs up." That's all I'm saying. She's done it with tummy sleeping, and now blankets in the crib.  That's some dangerous advice to be okaying, but whatever. It works for her, right? Confused

• imageMereMM7:
    imageLiluBee:

This was my point! Advice would be great.....but words like "stupid" are not helpful. And it's obvious that these people are repeat offenders. just my OPINION!

LMAO at repeat offenders. I'm sorry if I don't blow sunshine up your butt when it comes to things that are clear links to SIDS and infant deaths.  Get real. Babies die over this stuff. So, yes, stupid was a warranted word here. 

SMH.  

• Jeez, Lisa, you are so mean. Why would you care more about keeping babies safe than being nice?

I have used a blanket.... but I tucked it under three sides of the mattress and kept it at his waist level. Then I went and bought some warmer pjs at Costco for nine bucks and didn't have to do that anymore. 

• I agree totally with Lisa and Token on this. I don't use bumpers and I don't use blankets in the crib. There are numerous reports of both causing infant deaths and I will do whatever it takes to keep my babies safe.  My kids rely on me to make the best informed decisions for their well being. I don't see the point of putting my child in danger when there are smarter options out there, like sleep sacks and breathable bumpers. My baby loves to stuff the blanket in his mouth if he is playing on the floor on one and can scoot and roll all over the crib, I would never sleep if I left a blanket in bed with him. It is not worth the risk for me.

• Just my 2 cents but I immediately stopped swaddling when I found DS in the RnP with his A&A wrapped around his neck tightly from trying to break free of it.  I scooped him up so fast and held him to me for almost 20 minutes crying. 

I did something that is considered pretty safe and it still almost hurt my baby.  So kudos to OP for knowing that what she was dealing with was unsafe and trying to find a solution.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Uploaded from the Photobucket Android AppBabyName Ticker
  • Since this turned into a bit of a hot topic, thought I'd update a little bit.

So I ordered the A&A lovey from Amazon. Got them two days later, opened the package and they had sent the wrong ones.  Not a big deal, they were a different color and print, but I took it as a sign and returned it.  That night, I was diligent and tried the sleep sack on DS again and low and behold he STTN with it. No blankies!

I don't know what made the difference. Maybe just growing older a bit? But not a week prior it was a no-go without a blankey or swaddle. 

Whatever it was, Mommy is happy.  I was very torn about the whole situation.  Thank you everyone for chiming in and giving tips and advice. I appreciate it so much.

• imageSFBayMrs:

Since this turned into a bit of a hot topic, thought I'd update a little bit.

So I ordered the A&A lovey from Amazon. Got them two days later, opened the package and they had sent the wrong ones.  Not a big deal, they were a different color and print, but I took it as a sign and returned it.  That night, I was diligent and tried the sleep sack on DS again and low and behold he STTN with it. No blankies!

I don't know what made the difference. Maybe just growing older a bit? But not a week prior it was a no-go without a blankey or swaddle. 

Whatever it was, Mommy is happy.  I was very torn about the whole situation.  Thank you everyone for chiming in and giving tips and advice. I appreciate it so much.

I'm glad the sleep sack worked and he didn't feel the need to have the blanket. It's scary to think about the wiggling and squirming they do.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"