Health & Exercise

(vent) If one more person...

If one more person treats me like an invalid and tells me I shouldn't be going to the gym EXCLUSIVELY because I'm pregnant I'm going to SCREAM!!!!

I started off this pregnancy by setting American Records for lifting with weights that were heavy but not THAT overly heavy for me because I'm just not that much of a risk taker (injuries aren't worth it to me even if I know I could have done higher numbers than I did).  I'm now down quite a bit from my lifting totals at the start because I can't use my weight belt anymore and some NBR physical issues caused me to take some time away from the gym for the past month (instead of 5x/wk I was down to 2-3x/wk) so my numbers are respectable but not heavy or normal for me at all (enough to maintain muscle, but not build it - more like a bodybuilders set/rep count than a powerlifter's).  I'm in constant supervision from my OB and have been cleared to lift as much as I want as often as I want as long as it's not "heavy", I also train at the same time as a couple MD's so it's not like I'm not being watched extra close...  I also have training partners who will pull me back at a moments notice if something they see doesn't look perfect in my form. 

Of course, everyone outside of the gym who doesn't know what I do or the importance of listening to the body is for training/competing at the level I am (even without being PG, this is the case because injuries aren't worth it) basically is giving me the I should just quit going to the gym for now, stay home, only exercise my thumb on the remote and only get up to get something from the fridge to stuff in my face.  In the month that I've taken a lot of down time from the gym, my BP has shot up 20 points, my weight has gone up 10+lbs., I look fatter than fat (I wasn't skinny to begin with) - but instead of looking PG, I now look like a bloated elephant, and I am thoroughly missing my stress relief from having two lousy hours to myself during the course of the day that I'm not needed or bothered by anyone else. 

I've been doing this sport long enough, why can't people just give me a little credit that I know what I'm doing and how to listen to my body!  I'm just pregnant, not dead...  I wanted a healthy pregnancy and now because of everyone in my life I'm getting a fat one again - maybe they just want me to push for the 308lb. mark so I can increase my risks for diabetes, c/s, preeclampsia, etc... ARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHH!!!  Between dealing with those attitudes around me IRL and not getting to the gym, I'm also hormonal and grouchier than ever!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: (vent) If one more person...

• Sorry. A guy at the gym told me the other day that he's been seeing me around and thinks I'm pushing myself too hard...I straight up just told him to mind his own business, I know what my body is capable of. That shut him up quickly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemrsredrox:
    Sorry. A guy at the gym told me the other day that he's been seeing me around and thinks I'm pushing myself too hard...I straight up just told him to mind his own business, I know what my body is capable of. That shut him up quickly.

I just browsed your blog.  It's kinda unfair how cute you are pregnant.  I give you mad props for continuing CF.  I stopped after a shoulder injury and now my CF trainer is taking it easy on me for now.  My spin instructor on the other hand is still a monster and told me to suck it up and put the trash can in front of my bike for me to hurl in (I still have m/s).

Anyway, just blow people off.  GL girls!

• Loading the player...
  • I totally hear where you are coming from and I'm sorry that you're dealing with that. My mom and MIL have been on my case since day one to lay off the exercise. I haven't been running or lifting much lately just because I have nowhere to run or lift right now (long story) but they even get on my case about riding my bike trainer. It is pretty ridiculous and has led to some tense phone calls.

Duke's House: Eating and Running with the Big Dog in Chennai: eatrunbrit.com

imageimage

2010 Race PRs:

5K - 24:57 10M - 1:28:20 13.1M - 1:57:29 26.2M - 4:28:29

• I just learned to ignore people pretty early on.  I ran three miles the day I gave birth and taught my fitness classes the day before I delivered. I did cycling, weights, cardio, yoga, you name it.

And my baby was fine, despite those that told me I was harming him. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Me (33) DH (32) WFHM * Coffee & Beach Addict *Running is my Paxil*
  • I do CFmoms and get a lot of support from my husband and gym. I don't usually try to explain it to other people though because they have that reaction. I think it's funny that they love to tell me how I'm eating for two now and for some reason my co-workers always bring me candy, cake, donuts, etc. because as they put it "it's ok because I'm pregnant." Wait, what? I work at a school so there's always plenty of junk food floating around. How is that better for me and more acceptable than working out?? What a screwed up concept our culture has of pregnancy.
  • imagecloud9climber:

imagemrsredrox:
    Sorry. A guy at the gym told me the other day that he's been seeing me around and thinks I'm pushing myself too hard...I straight up just told him to mind his own business, I know what my body is capable of. That shut him up quickly.

I just browsed your blog.  It's kinda unfair how cute you are pregnant.  I give you mad props for continuing CF.  I stopped after a shoulder injury and now my CF trainer is taking it easy on me for now.  My spin instructor on the other hand is still a monster and told me to suck it up and put the trash can in front of my bike for me to hurl in (I still have m/s).

Thank you :) That means a lot, haven't been feeling so cute lately haha. I hope your shoulder gets better and I'm sorry but your spin instructor sounds AWESOME. I love that kind of motivation haha.
  • imagemrsredrox:
    imagecloud9climber:

imagemrsredrox:

Thank you :) That means a lot, haven't been feeling so cute lately haha. I hope your shoulder gets better and I'm sorry but your spin instructor sounds AWESOME. I love that kind of motivation haha.

Thanks!  It was from... take a guess... yep... the kettle bell.  So easy to injure when you are trying to go for the best time possible ya know?  You are gonna snap back in shape so fast and you will probably be one of those girls who is in better shape after baby than before.  From someone older than you I say, enjoy your youth and beauty!  And my baby is hapa (DH is Chinese) so I fully expect for you to have an uber cute baby :)  Boys are the best!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"