Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Anyone taken keflex/cephalexin during pregnancy?

So you all know by now how paranoid and worried I am about this pregnancy.  So paranoid to the point where I have not even taken one Tylenol during this pregnancy...no OTC meds whatsoever, no caffeine, no deli meat, no soft serve, no soda, etc.  So of course what happens?  I get a UTI.  And we all know the only way to treat a UTI is with...antibiotics!  And of course, for those of you who don't know, there are no "Class A" antibiotics.  The best you get is "Class B."  Well the physician's assistant prescribed Keflex, and I made her go into all this detail about how safe it is for the baby, and she basically concluded by saying it's definitely a lot safer than an untreated UTI, which can turn into a kidney infection (which needs antibiotics in any event), etc.

So here I am.  I have spent like 2 hours on Google and everything, I mean EVERYTHING says Keflex is safe.  The worst I could find was 2 uncontrolled studies that had a low incidence of birth defects.  So of course that's the one I am focusing on, not the 93 other websites that said it's commonly prescribed during pregnancy, no proven adverse effects, etc.

I trust you ladies more than the internet...can anyone tell me they've been on Keflex/Cephalexin during pregnancy and everything was fine (you now have a healthy DD or DS, or your LO is still growing strong).  TIA for talking me down.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

BFP #1 6/28/11 ~ EDD 3/7/12 ~ m/c 7/15/11 at 6w2d
BFP #2 8/29/11 ~ EDD 5/12/12. 4/25/12: Our take home baby is here!
 BFP #3 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/11/14.  4/27/14:  Our second take home baby is here!

Re: Anyone taken keflex/cephalexin during pregnancy?

• Options
    There are millions of women that have had to take antibiotics during pregnancy. Listening to your PA makes a lot more sense than googling. You'll always find the one person who doesn't think it's okay. I know it's completely nerve wracking to have to take meds while pregnant but your PA is right- an untreated UTI is WAY worse than having to take antibiotics. I know my mom was on antibiotics with all three of us and we all turned out fine.
    After two losses, a rainbow arrived! DD born 11.5.11
    Dx with severe Asherman's syndrome after a botched PP D&C (pursuing med mal)
    Hysteroscopy Oct '13, not enough progress 
    Hysteroscopy Jan '14, given an end-of-the-road diagnosis
    Joined International Asherman's Association April '14 
    Not ready to give up yet.
    Hysteroscopy with Dr. Isaacson (an expert in the USA) 6.2.14: Good prognosis, at least 50% of cavity open.
    Repeat hysteroscopy scheduled with Dr. I on 6.16.14. Great progress. Unbenched!!!!
    Discussing actively TTC with DH after the heartache of the last year. We're both reeling.

Please, please, please. 
  • Options
    I agree with MrsAtch.  Plus you have to remember that the benefit of taking the antibiotic outweighs the risk, which, is minimal at that.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I believe that is the antibiotic my OB gives IV as a preop before a cesection. I got it with my daughter. So it must be safe.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Have you ever taken Keflex before? If not, I would suggest asking for an antibiotic you've had before already. I was recently a few months ago prescribed Keflex and never had it or had a drug allergy before then either. A day after I was done taking it I broke out into hives all over my body. It was nuts, I looked like I had the measles! Obviously, I am allergic and can never take it again which is so strange because I've never had an issue with Amoxicillin or Augmentin. I know they are of different classes though. Anyway, just wanted to give my 2 cents!
    2 losses June '11 and July '11, forever in our hearts <3<br/> Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagemiblue:
    Have you ever taken Keflex before? If not, I would suggest asking for an antibiotic you've had before already. I was recently a few months ago prescribed Keflex and never had it or had a drug allergy before then either. A day after I was done taking it I broke out into hives all over my body. It was nuts, I looked like I had the measles! Obviously, I am allergic and can never take it again which is so strange because I've never had an issue with Amoxicillin or Augmentin. I know they are of different classes though. Anyway, just wanted to give my 2 cents!

I have never taken it before but since it was prescribed to me yesterday, I have taken it 3 times (you have to take it once every 6 hours--oy!).  No allergic reaction, so thank goodness for that.

I do agree with all you ladies that it is definitely safer to treat the UTI than not treat it, that the risk outweighs the benefit and all that stuff, and to be honest I can't find anything that says this drug isn't safe during pregnancy...I just feel so jinxed I guess after what happened with my last pregnancy that I hate to do anything that could possibly put the baby at risk.  And it especially freaks me out to be taking 2000mg of antibiotics per day during the 1st tri.  I just wish I could relax already!

• Options

My reaction wasn't until a day after stopping the antibiotic, so I had been on it a week with no issues! It was really strange that it happened after I was done with it. 

I'm sure I'm an anomaly though, you should be fine!

2 losses June '11 and July '11, forever in our hearts <3<br/> Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemiblue:

My reaction wasn't until a day after stopping the antibiotic, so I had been on it a week with no issues! It was really strange that it happened after I was done with it. 

I'm sure I'm an anomaly though, you should be fine!

That is really bizarre!  It sounds almost like your reaction was because you were in withdrawal or something.  Were you on the antibiotic while pregnant or no?

• Options
    I had to take antibiotics during my pregnancy with DS and during this one.  I'm pretty sure I was on Keflex for one of them for a UTI (I had vaginosis with DS).  I know it's scary, but it's much better to treat the infection with an antibiotic, rather than let the infection get bad.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Two angel babies 11/09 and 4/10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"