Baby Names
Options

Your Friends' Children

Does anyone here seem to have a really different naming style than their friends? A lot of my friends have babies around the same age as my DS, but I have to confess that I really don't like a lot of their name choices. A lot of them have the same names, too. I know two little Harpers (one girl, one boy), and two little Rileys (boys). Does this happen to anyone else or do you have friends with similar naming styles?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Your Friends' Children

• Options
    I am one of the first of my friends to have kids so I can't really tell yet.  My best friend has two kids and although I love her names I wouldn't necessarily use them.  I am more of a traditional namer I guess.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    One of my bfs named her son Van, so yup were a little diff,  But I don't dislike her names they are just NMS.  One of DS's friends are naming their 2nd daughter Kaycee, and I wanted to tell them to spell it differently.  I just let it go though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My best friend has 2 kids named Andrew and Zoe. They are very popular I would never use them. I also know like 4 little Logan's from old friends on FB which is also very popular.

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14
  • Options

Ashlynn, Lucas, Andrew

Nothing too unique. Although I had a friend that wanted to name her daughter, Lisa. It sounds to dated IMO, and seems incomplete to me. I'm ready for one of my friends to come up with a 'non-trendy' name

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Elias was born on August 27, 2010, 8 days overdue, and weighed in at 8 lbs 10 oz and 20.5 in Photobucket
  • Options
    My friend named their (2yo) girl Ellie.  I like the name, but would never use it myself - there are way too many Ellies, Elles, Ellas, etc.   But their boy's name is Brigham, which is an awesome name!
  • Options

I've seen an interesting mix of traditional and unique. The most unique I think have seen are Von-Luc, Pascal, and Enola.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Yes, I really dislike most of our friend's naming styles.  They think we are odd for liking names that are traditional or spelled correctly.  Here are some examples: (I will group them so it you can easily see our friends redundancy!)

Ryley Madison

Rylie Leigh

Rylee Raen

Hayden David

Hayden James

Ayden Anthony

Chase Michael

Jace Christopher

Carter Samuel

Alexys James (girl)

Neveah Lynn

Savannah Jo

Matthew Dylan

• Options
    imageaubreyan:

Yes, I really dislike most of our friend's naming styles.  They think we are odd for liking names that are traditional or spelled correctly.  Here are some examples: (I will group them so it you can easily see our friends redundancy!)

Ryley Madison

Rylie Leigh

Rylee Raen

Hayden David

Hayden James

Ayden Anthony

Chase Michael

Jace Christopher

Carter Samuel

Alexys James (girl)

Neveah Lynn

Savannah Jo

Matthew Dylan

RYLIE LEIGH?!?! Really? Do they not hear the lee-lee thing going on there?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes we have quite different styles, my best friend just named her second daughter Haylee, which was a very surprising choice and spelling.  My sister in law has chosen very trendy names for my nephews, Austin, Colten, Aiden.  There are actually 3 Austins, 2 Avas, 2 Aidens, 2 Amelias- lots of popular "a" names. 
  • Options
    YES! All my friends with kids have these idiotic spellings or super trendy names. I have told a couple my names and they all wrinkle their noses and tell me how "old fashioned" they sound. (Names like Samuel, Ian, Nathan, Audrey, Willa and Lucia)

Their names include:

Nevaeh Lynn

Nataleigh Faith (these two are siblings)

Aubriey Taylor

Owen Phoenix

Xavier James

Brayden Dean

Aniyah Yvonne

Hunter Jude

Aaven Noah

Blake Kamryn (girl)

There are a few that I actually do like:

Tyler Charles

AnnMarie Elisabeth

Gabriel Isaiah

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

One of my friends kids names are NMS at all but,they suit her kids.

Jessame(g)

Alondra

Myla

Javies(Jay -Ve-us)(b)

Adriel(b)

• Options

A lot of my friend's don't have kids yet.  But the ones that do:  Rheagan Victoria, Titus Altair and India Adeline, Tommi Jolene, Khayla and Emily, Riley Jordan (g), Rebekah Ann and Abigail Grace, Aaron Daniel.

My bff is the one with Titus Altair and India Adeline.  Our naming styles are pretty different, though not entirely.  I do like Adeline and India even has old school charm.  Altair is nice and Titus is a Bible name and I'm a huge Bible name fan for boys.  The other ones I'm not so close to so it doesn't bother me if they pick weird, awful or great names.  I don't think I'd quit being a friend with someone just because they name a girl Riley or mispelled Rheagan.  But if they did something like Payshence (as posted the other day), yep.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

A lot of my friends are choosing the same names.... Olivia's, Madisons/Maddie, Haileys and my one best friend is pregnant with yet another Mackenzie.  While these names are not terrible, they are not my style.

I am thankful! I really don't want my child to be "Olivia J." Especially in our circle of friends. One thing that was strange is that my best friend and I have very different tastes in baby names and she just told me that she likes a name Charley (sp) for a girl (NMS but not my kid) and we love the name Charlotte. So, somehow we have completely different tastes, but something must resonate with us.

"Even miracles take a little time"

• Options
    Only a couple friends have kids, and I like their names - they're pretty traditional and/or old-fashioned. 
  • Options
    My friends have kids named Violet, Frances, Penelope, and Calla.  At first I didn't love them, but now I think they are adorable.
  • Options

My friends' kids have these names:

Taylor Hope (g)

Mason Joseph

Nolan David

William Grant

Isaac Levi

Ezra Anthony

Phillip Richard

Violet Marie

Maxwell Timothy David

Owen Matthew

Andrew

I don't really dislike any of them. There are a few I'd consider using myself. And a few that are just NMS.

• Options

my friends kids are as follows:

Marley Rae

Taylor Ann

Samuel West

Eloise

William

Gavin

Ava

Brandon

Chloe

Noah 

Nicholas

Jackson

Pilar

Norah 

Collin

• Options
    I like MOST of my friends' names (with one notable exception) though wouldn't choose them for myself. (Boys: Milo, Evan x3, Roan, Asher, and Girls: Adelaide, Katie, Lillian, Masyn (ahem), and Isla)
    Missed Miscarriage 9 weeks/Missed Miscarriage 12 weeks/Natural Miscarriage 5.5 weeks
    BFP 11/6/09. Rory Anne Born 6/28/10!

• Options
    We are pretty similar, all of our kids have pretty popular names. Avery (m), Harper (m), Ella, Jack, Jackson, Tucker, Peyton, Emma x2, Joselyn

• Options

With my friends it's quite the mix... some are good, some really bad. Here's my list: 

Cole
    Felicity
    Wyatt
    Madelyn
    Kate
    Gabrielle
    Ari
    Reese (boy)
    James
    Everhett
    Parker
    Bronwen
    Sophia
    Chloe
    Wren
    Rigel (boy)
    Cohen
    Duncan
    Henry (nn. Hank)
    Owen
    Lachlan
    Hayden
    Darius
    Madysen

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • Options
    Our area is being over run with the Aiden and Riley names. So most of my friends have one of those. I absolutely loathe both of those.
  • Options

::Lurker::

I have a friend who named her son:  Chaos Dimitri Christopher Alexander Lastname.   So, yeah, I'd say we have different naming styles.   Other names as follows:

Kamryn

Aubree

Lucas

Cade

Lots of Kaylee's and Ava's

Ayden

Aurelia Storm (<--same girl who named her kid Chaos)

I tend to go for very old fashioned names.  

• Options

I feel you on this one! I have definitely cringed on some of my friend's name choices during their pregnancies. My style has for sure been different than all of theirs.

I've come to find though that once their little ones have arrived, my opinions on the names have changed drastically. It's the baby that makes the name :) 

Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    Two different friends (who don't know each other) each named their daughters Rilee/Rylee, another friend has an Olivia, and another friends son is Brycen.  The three girls are all under 2.5 and Brycen is 7.5.
    Husband and Wife 2010
    DD 12.2010
    TTC #2 Since Aug 2012
    DX PCOS 7.25.13
    Started Metformin 7.2013
    DH SA results 6.19.14 - Too few normal sperm
    8.13.14 - SURPRISE BFP - EDD 3/30/14 Based on LMP
    MMC 9/24/14, D&C 9/25/14 13w3d, Measured at 7w4d

3.14.15 BFP #3 - EDD 11/11/15 based on LMP
  • Options
    imagecwie828:
    imageaubreyan:

Ryley Madison

Rylie Leigh

Rylee Raen

Hayden David

Hayden James

Ayden Anthony

Chase Michael

Jace Christopher

Carter Samuel

Alexys James (girl)

Neveah Lynn

Savannah Jo

Matthew Dylan

RYLIE LEIGH?!?! Really? Do they not hear the lee-lee thing going on there?

Hahahaha I know!  I think it sounds a little asian or something.  Mom said they wanted Jo or Leigh because they are family names, but thought Jo sounded 'too country' LOL

• Options

VERY different from one friend and the SAME for another

Both my friends had twin girls

One has a Alice and Olivia which I love!

The other friend has Chloe and Ashlynn which I semi like Chloe but I dont like Ashlynn at all especially because the moms NAME is Ashley :p lol bleh 

• Options
    My best friend had a baby Right before I had DD and DH's best friend had one right after. DD is Holly Elizabeth, my best friend's DS is Lux Arden, which is nms and whenever I tell others his name I have to repeat it and spell it and answer questions about it which make me relieved that I chose a more main stream name for my own DC. DH's best friend's DD is Emmery Lane, which is unisex and has an odd spelling and from comments received here in the past sounds like memory lane, so yea, nms.

• Options

Most of my friends name their kids:

Mia

Lillian/Lily

Chloe

Liam

Bronson

I like unusual names, so these popular names are a totally different style from my baby's.

daughter born June 2011 via C-Section, son born November 2012 via VBAC
  • Options

Xaviour, Sawyer (boy), Lane, Caleb, Lylah, Danielle.

A bit of a mixed bag (at least in regards to spelling).

• Options
    I'll probably be the first of my friends to actually have children (only one entering the TTC phase right now), but when we talk about names for fun, I like their ideas. Their taste ranges from unusual to classic, and not all things I would pick, but all names I respect and which suit them. I don't think I would have gravitated toward best friends who would name their kids things like Nevaeh.
  • Options
    I'm so proud of my friends for picking great names for their kids. :) There really isn't any name that I don't like. (Though I do know a LOT of Emmas. I like the name...it's just so so popular.)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I like names that are short, strong, and classic. We actually ended up going with the most trendy name on our list if that gives you an idea. My friends are all over the place.

My friends' children are:

Nathanael (Nate) & Noah

Theodore (Teddy) Ethan & Elizabeth (Bethy)

Tyler, Dylan & Alexander (Alex)

Brittany, Edward Jr (Eddie), & Amelia

Wynter (Wynnie), Breanna & Aiden

Andrew Jr (AJ) Wyatt, & Wryder

Ariel & Collin

Lucien (Luc) & Audrey

William & Annabelle

Logan, Keegan & Rylan

Dakota & Isabella 

Halie (Prn Hailey) & Allyce (Prn Elise, nn Ally) 

Cole Joseph 7/05/07

Nora Anne 11/03/12
    9lbs, 6oz
  • Options

My bf's son's name is Robert, her stepdaughters names are Kacie and Kylie (NMS)

Other friend's son is John Hunter, but they only call him Hunter, she's pregnant with number 2 right now and last I heard, if it's a girl, her name will be Addison.  I know with Hunter they were also considering Benjamin or Thomas, not sure if those names are in the running if number 2 is also a boy.

My cousins have Zoe Rose, Isabella Skye, Dakota Rayne (sisters), Steven Gabriel, Ella Grace (sibs), Josie Rose, Emily Eve, Madelyn Alexis (sisters, Emily passed away at 16 weeks, Madelyn is due to arrive in 2 or 3 weeks), Autumn Dawn and Aubree Maria (sisters).

• Options
    I like most of them but most are not something I would pick. Cole, Bianca & Isaac, Sydney (g) and Zoe, Stella & Mia, Mitch and Quinn (given name quinnlynn), Luke and Wyatt, Phillip and Olivia, Luna, Jackson and Charlie (g), Logan, holland (g) & Eli, JD & Samantha, Henry and George. Now here are the names my brothers and cousins have chosen for their kiddos...I dislike most of them. Ellis (g) & Avery (g), griffin, Grady & Graham, Marshall, Finley & London, Gunnar & rylan. *apologies for the format, on my iPad*
  • Options

Two of my closest friends have had little girls in the last two years...

Thea

and

Tessa

I think both are adorable.

• Options

I think most of my friends have similar naming styles to me (with the exception of one couple who have named their kids "themed" names that are NMS). My only issue is that many of them choose last names as first names and the last names they've chosen have no real meaning or significance to them. Also, most people in my area are choosing Grace, Elizabeth, Anne, or Claire as middle names, so every girl's name is similar. 

These are the names that have been used more than once in my circle of friends:

Hudson, Samuel, Lily Grace, Claire, Isabella, Jack(son), Emma, Harrison 

I think all of these are decent names with mass appeal, which is why we all keep hearing them. 

• Options
    My friend's daughter is Anika, which I really like but probably wouldn't use for myself. She's pregnant with #2 but hasn't thought of any names yet, so we'll see. :)
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• Options

I seem to have a little different style that people I know my age. A lot of my friends like cutesier/more made up names than I do... Raylee, Raelyn, Maddee, Kenzii, Cayleigh, Abbygayle...

Names of kiddos I know IRL and would use are Aliza/Eliza, Elijah, Josiah, Kara, Ella...

BFP #1 6/3/10 | EDD 2/5/11 | Noelle born 1/28/11
    BFP #2 12/20/11 | EDD 8/24/12 | Natural M/C 12/22/11
    BFP #3 5/13/12 (Mother's Day!) | EDD 1/23/13 | Natural M/C 6/9/12 (blighted ovum discovered 6/7/12 at 7w1d)
    "And to think when their little eyes opened, the first thing they saw was the face of Jesus."
    My Ovulation Chart | My Baby Name List
  • Options

My friends have:

Brooklyn Elizabeth

Johnathan Matthew

Cheyenne Nicole

Savannah Faith

Chase Matthew

Parker Isaiah

Adelyn Elise

Suzanne Elizabeth

Ryan Matthew

Georgia Cate

Ella Kate

I think Savannah may be the only name I would've considered for my own kids.  I seriously know about 10 little Ella's right now...I think it is overused and I can't see it on a grown professional.

Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

• Options

My friends that have kids (not many) named them...

From my neighborhood:

• Annabelle (my DD)
    • Annabelle (down my block- grr!)
    • Ryder
    • Blake (x2)
    • Marty (nn for Martin- love it!)
    • Zachary
    • Tyler
    • Ava
    • Reaghan
    • Pierson (spelling?)

My religous friends:

• Leah
    • Miriam
    • Grace
    • Gabriella
    • Atara
    • Avraham

Me- 28 DH- 36 Diagnosis- MFI IVF baby #1- DD, 2 years old MC at 6 weeks in Feb 2011 (FET) IVF #2- BFP! IVF baby #2- DD, 4 months old
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"