Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Issues w/ whites and homemade detergent

I'm finding that my whites are coming out with a slight grungy tinge to them. Here's the recipe I've been using:

1 bar bath soap
1 cup washing soda
1 cup baking soda

1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax

Any suggestions? Overall I've been very happy, and it's not every shirt, it's mainly my sports bras, workout shirts (dri-fit material) and work shirts (100% cotton). Regular t-shirts come out fine.  

Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011

Re: Issues w/ whites and homemade detergent

• Options
    I use the same recipe minus the baking soda. What brand of bar soap are you using? If I use regular soap instead of laundry soap (Fels Naptha or Zote) everything gets dingy. Laundry soap will help lift the grunge out instead of leaving a creepy residue.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    i use the eff blog recipe, it's 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda, 1/2 cup oxyclean & 1 bar soap ( i use fels naptha)  never have any problems w/that mix.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our detergent is washing soda, borax and oxyclean and DH's grungy shirts from college actually look better than they did (Drat!!). I'd make some without the bar soap to see if that's what's doing it. 
    Natural M/C-> 10/21/09

2011 Reading Challenge

2011 Reading Challenge
    Adrienne has read 16 books toward her goal of 80 books.
    hide
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I added oxi clean to a few washes with a similar detergent recipe and had good results. I also switched to hot water for whites, but that was mostly to try and kill a weird smell in my towels. 
  • Options
    imagekdello:
    I use the same recipe minus the baking soda. What brand of bar soap are you using? If I use regular soap instead of laundry soap (Fels Naptha or Zote) everything gets dingy. Laundry soap will help lift the grunge out instead of leaving a creepy residue.
    Oh, I just realized I have an equal portion of Oxyclean Free in my recipe, which also really helps keep things white.
  • Options

imagelittleanomaly:
    Our detergent is washing soda, borax and oxyclean and DH's grungy shirts from college actually look better than they did (Drat!!). I'd make some without the bar soap to see if that's what's doing it. 

I love that you said "drat." :) 

• Options
    imagekdello:
    I used Ivory; DH doesn't like the detergent overall, so it's just me and soon it'll be the baby stuff as well. I'm almost out of this batch, I'll try switching soaps and see what happens. I'm assuming you can microwave those two as well go get the fine powder?
    Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • Options

imageuncharch7:
    imagekdello:
    I used Ivory; DH doesn't like the detergent overall, so it's just me and soon it'll be the baby stuff as well. I'm almost out of this batch, I'll try switching soaps and see what happens. I'm assuming you can microwave those two as well go get the fine powder?
    My mind is a little blown by the microwaving idea, ha! I use the food processor after chopping it and leaving it to dry overnight. Try this:

https://www.theecofriendlyfamily.com/2009/08/laundry-detergent.html#.TpbZE7LXipQ

Her recipe (hi, Poonico!) is very mild and fine for baby. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"