Baby Names
Options

Same middle name for twins?

In my family it's a tradition to use the father's first name as the son's middle name, and we would like to do the same. DH's name is Thorin (hippy parents, lol). I like the name a lot, and using it will honor both sides of the family. 

But, we're having twin boys. Would it be weird to give them both the same middle name? Or, would it be weirder to only give one of them DH's name? (I feel like it might be hard to explain why one got it and one didn't). Thoughts?

Also, we're stuck on first names. If you have any suggestions that would sound good with Thorin, I'd love to hear those too (last name 2 syllables, starts with B)

Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11

Re: Same middle name for twins?

• Options

Based on the tradition, no I don't think it's weird.  I am a twin and I would be pissed if my parents chose to give one of us a family name, and the other not. 

I would look at one syllable and three syllable names for the first name. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I wouldn't do it. Why don't you give one your husband's first name as a middle and the other one can share your husband's middle name. You could also use your maiden name for one of them. That said, I think Thorin is a pretty cool middle name.
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagebread&jam:
    I wouldn't do it. Why don't you give one your husband's first name as a middle and the other one can share your husband's middle name. You could also use your maiden name for one of them. That said, I think Thorin is a pretty cool middle name.

That's a great idea, but sadly he doesn't have one.  His Dad wanted Merlin Gandolf (yes, as in the fictional magicians) but his mom wasn't having it. So they settled on nothing.

• Options

I don't think it would be weird for both twins to have the same middle name, my sister & I have the same middle name and are 3 years apart.

Another idea would be to use your DHs first name as one twins middle name and use your DHs middle name for the other twins middle name.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Not weird at all.  I say go for it.  A friend, his twin and older brother all have the same mn b/c it is what his mother wanted.

Sorry no suggestions for fns.

"When the world says, 'Give up,' Hope whispers, 'Try one more time.'" -Anonymous

• Options
    I don't see what's wrong with them sharing a middle name.  I think it's neat for twins, actually.
    C ~ Spring 2006 Baby! Photobucket
  • Options

We may be doing this! Well, all along we were going to do this regardless of the sexes ( we are team green).  The middle names will be my last name (I didn't change my last name when we got married)

Well just last week my husband decided that if we go with the one name with have for a boy that he'd like the middle name to be his middle name which is also his fathers first name. They really do sound nice together, so I am willing to go with my last name as the middle name for only one.

So..... if it's 2 girls we'll probably do the same middle name for both.

I also wonder if the one that doesn't get my last name will wonder why, but this way they both get family names.

• Options
    My friend's middle name is Leigh and her husband's is Lee so both daughters have the middle name of Leigh and Lee.  So it's not weird just different.
  • Options
    I'm a twin and my sister and I share a middle name also.  I kind of like it...it's totally different and goes w/ both our first names well. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's fine given the tradition. Even if you give one the middle name and one your husband's first name, one will be left out of a family tradition.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Options

My husband and his brother both have their dad's FN as their MN. I think it's weird and a tad narcissistic to name one child after yourself, much less two or more...

So...if I were you, I'd scrap the tradition and give the kids their own new names, or use the MNs to honor each of your fathers. 

But if you really want to use your husband's name....you can give them both the same name. It's far from the worst naming trend out there. 

• Options
    I know twin boys with the same middle name and it isn't weird at all. I also know 2 brothers with the same middle name. FWIW, all 4 boys were named after their dads.
    Visit The Nest!Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Nest! Anniversary
    VOTE on my Name List image 7 anovulatory cycles, 1 cycle 50 mg clomid, 4 cycles 100mg clomid, HSG double blockage, hysteroscopy with cyst and debris removal, fermara/IUI attempt abandoned because of anovulation, follistim/IUI attempt coming soon!
  • Options

My sister and I (not twins) have the same middle name, it's our mom's maiden name. When I was younger I thought it was kind of weird but now I like it. So I think it's a good idea for you, especially since it's a family tradition. If you really can't do it, start a new tradition!

As far as first names, maybe just stick to more traditional names to go with the more unique middle name choice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemj.reilly:

I think it is fine. Plus, Thorin is cool.

What kind of names do you like (or not like)?

James Thorin

Miles Thorin

Oliver Thorin

Noah Thorin

Dexter Thorin

Henry Thorin

Abram Thorin

Dean Thorin

Russell Thorin

Ezra Thorin

Alexander Thorin

Maxwell Thorin

Elias Thorin

Andrew Thorin

Reid Thorin

Everett Thorin

Patrick Thorin

Rhys Thorin

George Thorin

Great ideas, thanks!

I find myself liking a lot of names that rhyme with Thorin, or are very close to rhyming with it. Unfortunately I don't think they would sound good.  It would be nice to go with classics again (DD's name is Ruby).

DH is worried about the Narcissistic thing too, especially if they BOTH have his name. It doesn't bother me though.  

• Options

First off, man your in-laws had some intersting taste in names! (More with the wizard names than Thorin)

Secondly, I think unless you have another significant family name to use as a middle name for the other twin than using the same for both, given the tradition and history, would be fine.  Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Honestly, I think it's weird. Or at least, I think twins have a hard enough time being seen as separate individuals, and to give them each the same middle name is taking away a child's normal individuality.

That being said, a PP who is a twin herself said she and her sister share middle names and it's not an issue to them. I'm not a twin, and I don't have any, so I'm just guessing at what twins may like.

Also I think it's worth noting that boys probably don't care about those things like girls do. We like to overthink things more. (Hence this entire website.) :)

• Options
    imagehayleydeee:

In my family it's a tradition to use the father's first name as the son's middle name, and we would like to do the same. DH's name is Thorin (hippy parents, lol). I like the name a lot, and using it will honor both sides of the family. 

But, we're having twin boys. Would it be weird to give them both the same middle name? Or, would it be weirder to only give one of them DH's name? (I feel like it might be hard to explain why one got it and one didn't). Thoughts?

Also, we're stuck on first names. If you have any suggestions that would sound good with Thorin, I'd love to hear those too (last name 2 syllables, starts with B)

I'm a twin and my sister and I have the same middle name.  Don't think it's strange at all.

• Options

why not use Thorin for the first born.. (just for arguements sake)

and maybe use Thor for the second little guy..

close but not exactly the same..

I don't think it's weird for both of them to have the same name. but with twins they are already sharing so much.. at least having different mn's will help give them their own identity

• Options
    I know b/g/g triplets, and the girls share a middle name (their mother's fn). The boy has the father's fn as his mn. I never thought it was weird.
    Cole Joseph 7/05/07

Nora Anne 11/03/12
    9lbs, 6oz
  • Options
    I think it'd be fine for them to share a mn so long as they don't share a fn.  My sister & I (not twins) share a mn.  It's not even a family name.  My parents just couldn't think of another mn for me.  It's never bothered me, and as a child, I actually thought all same sex siblings were supposed to have the same mn.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think is a nice thing, since it's tradition and is a cool name

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options

I like it. I think it sounds like a fun thing to share, and frankly, the more babies with the middle name Thorin, the better. That is awesome.

As a middle name and because it's YOUR family tradition rather than his, I don't find it narcissistic.

• Options
    My kids will both have the same mn (because it's my ln).
    First birth: Natural (med-free) Second birth: Hell, no. Epidural all the way. Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's just fine!
    Our first baby girl, Lucia Joy, joined us on April 1, 2010!
  • Options

My sons both have the same middle name (they're not twins). It's the same middle name my husband and his brother share and it's my husband's father's and grandfather's first name. I don't think it's weird OR narcissistic.

P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Options
    i think it's a little weird but not at the same time. i guess i would never do it and if i met twins that both had the same middle name i'd think it was weird. but, it's not the strangest thing in the world or anything.
  • Options
    -T--T- member
    I think it's a great tradition to keep. I have some relatives that named 2 of their sons Garret James and Garret John - so they have the same first names. That, I think is weird. They always called them by their first and middle names so they didn't mix them up. To each their own :)
  • Options
    My XH's family had the same tradition. They didnt want to give one twin a family name and not the other so they gave one twin the dads fn as his mn and the other twin got dads mn as his mn
  • Options
    I like the idea a lot of using the same middle name.  I think it adds to the bond/connection,etc that they already have.   Just my 2 cents
  • Options
    Even though they're twins, one will be born before the other, so technically, one will be older. If it were me, I would give Thorin to the older twin and give the second his own name. I like the tradition btw!

• Options

imageashleyaugust7:
    I don't see what's wrong with them sharing a middle name.  I think it's neat for twins, actually.

I think it's fine, go for it.

R&K married 4.15.11. TTC #1 since 7.11.12

BFP #1 9.9.12 EDD 5.21.13 c/p 9.12.12 at 4 weeks 1 day

BFP #2 10.15.12 EDD 6.28.13 c/p 10.19.12 at  4 weeks.

BFP #3 1.19.13 EDD 10.1.13 Eleanor born 10.7.13 at 40 weeks 6 days

13dpo hcg@32, progesterone@13.7, 15dpo hcg@110, 16dpo progesterone@25.9

My blog:Urban Times in Michigan ~ My Bfp Chart

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Personally, I wouldn't give them the same mn. I feel like everyone deserves their own name ~ even if its after someone. I say give on dad's name and the other can have another family name. :)
    The Journey of a Thousand Miles begins with One Step.

1998 Ovarian Cancer Survivor. 7 Miscarriages: 6w, 13w2d, 4w2d, 7w4d (DD's twin), 5w. Failed Tubal after c/s (!!): 5w2d, 6w4d

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"