May 2011 Moms

You still can't overfeed your baby..right?

Seriously.  This kid drank 6 oz at 7 a.m., 6 oz at 8 a.m. and is now halfway through another bottle (10 a.m.).  Can I assume it's a growth spurt..?  I don't want to overfeed my kid. He's not spitting any of it up... Huh? He normally eats 6 oz every 3 hours.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: You still can't overfeed your baby..right?

• You can't really overfeed a breastfed baby, but you can pretty much always overfeed a baby who is bottle-feeding.  
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • If it's a one day thing, I wouldn't stress about it too much. But if that were happening every day then yes, I would definitely say it is overfeeding.

Keep in mind, all doctors are different, but my pedi told me that he would not allow more than 6oz per feeding, and the feedings should be spread to every 3-4 hours. He also said if they still seem hungry on that schedule, I should really consider introducing solids. I have followed his advice, and it has worked like a charm for me.

• Loading the player...
  • If he seems hungry, I'm going to say it's a spurt. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageLisa Frank:
    If he seems hungry, I'm going to say it's a spurt. 

He's totally hungry.. I tried every single other thing I could (change, play, sing, etc).I can't not feed him, KWIM?  And so far it's just been today.

How would one overfeed a formula-fed baby?  I feel him when hes hungry. If he stops eating at 3 or 4 oz, I stop feeding him. He stops sucking when he is full.  Much like a breastfed baby I assume?

The solids thing crossed my mind.  My Dr. advised working up to two feedings a day (right now we do only one). I didn't really want to work up to two as hes a big boy as it is, and I dont want him to become overweight.

FWIW, he was 9.12 at birth. Is 19 lbs now. 27" long.

• imageNeverEnoughTime:

imageLisa Frank:
    If he seems hungry, I'm going to say it's a spurt. 

He's totally hungry.. I tried every single other thing I could (change, play, sing, etc).I can't not feed him, KWIM?  And so far it's just been today.

How would one overfeed a formula-fed baby?  I feel him when hes hungry. If he stops eating at 3 or 4 oz, I stop feeding him. He stops sucking when he is full.  Much like a breastfed baby I assume?

The solids thing crossed my mind.  My Dr. advised working up to two feedings a day (right now we do only one). I didn't really want to work up to two as hes a big boy as it is, and I dont want him to become overweight.

FWIW, he was 9.12 at birth. Is 19 lbs now. 27" long.

This is just my opinion (not based on any research), but I don't think upping his solids to twice a day is going to cause excess weight gain. If anything, solids have less calories per ounce than formula.

A big baby needs more food. He's obviously been big since birth. He is also quite tall, so he should be heavier to counter balance it. Of course there are exceptions to the rule and babies who do become too large, but I think the majority of babies are just fine as long as they are being fed in a healthy way.

• Could your LO be not feeling well, and like the sucking?  I only ask cause at about 5 weeks, DD was like this, and it will go down in history as the day we fed her too much.  She is 5 months now and still has not had as much as that day, and that night was awful.  She was so uncomfortable because of it.  In my opinion, I might call the doc.  That is an awful lot of food.
  • imagekacelle:
    You can't really overfeed a breastfed baby, but you can pretty much always overfeed a baby who is bottle-feeding.  

For the record, the above statement is NOT true and any doctor will tell you so.  The only way to REALLY overfeed a baby is to not look at cues from baby.  My DD pushes the bottle away and moves her head.  The only time she might eat more is if she is sick or uncomfortable, then it is a comfort feeding.  And that happened once.

• imagesnoopy5512:

imagekacelle:
    You can't really overfeed a breastfed baby, but you can pretty much always overfeed a baby who is bottle-feeding.  

For the record, the above statement is NOT true and any doctor will tell you so.  The only way to REALLY overfeed a baby is to not look at cues from baby.  My DD pushes the bottle away and moves her head.  The only time she might eat more is if she is sick or uncomfortable, then it is a comfort feeding.  And that happened once.

I agree with this. DS will not eat if he's not hungry. He'll push the bottle away, turn his head or just chew on the nipple.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    No one else will ever know the strength of my LOVE for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside <3 <br> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married to the Milk Man
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"