May 2011 Moms

Speaking of BF: Does your baby clamp down?

My almost 5 month old has recently started to clamp down and pull away from me (taking my boob with him). Ouch! It hurts! He has been doing it more and more and I'm not sure what it's about. It's always after he's eaten but he seems like he still wants more but then when I latch him he sucks, sucks, sucks, clamp. Repeat over and over until I finally just say enough.

Anyone else dealing with this? Ideas of what it could be? I'm hoping to nip it in the bid (no pun intended) before he gets teeth. Eek!

Re: Speaking of BF: Does your baby clamp down?

• DD does that when she's distracted while nursing.  There are just too many exciting things to look at!  You could try wearing a necklace that your son could play with while nursing and minimizing distractions around you.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Dd dud the same thing until I got my necklace with her footprint on it. It hangs to just above my clevage. She plays with it or Pete my boob while nursing now - no more clamping or pulling. My boobs are much happier.
    My overly happy baby girl!

I'm a breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, anti-CIO Mommy
    Raising Bean
    Wives Unscripted

Married my hero on 10-11-08
    Our bean was born on 05-19-11
  • Loading the player...
  • My other kid did that.  At some point they start to do horrible tortuous things to your nipples.  I don't have any advice, just empathy.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • When I feed DD laying down in a quiet room she does not do it as much. I went to a party store and bought a cheap plastic necklace and some toys/keychains. DD loves playing with the items on the necklace it keeps her well distracted.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMarJo03:
    She plays with it or Pete my boob while nursing now - no more clamping or pulling.

Lol, I'm sure this is an "autocorrect" mishap, but I couldn't resist. Have you named one of your boobs "Pete"? ;) 

Edit: Oh, yeah, to OP: DS did this around 4 months. I had to stop NIP just because of all the distractions. It was very frustrating because I knew he was hungry but he would literally latch for 3 seconds and then pop off and look around (or take my nipple with him). I would just sit him up on my lap facing out for a few minutes until he could get to know his surroundings, and then try nursing again. 

He clamped down the other day, but I think it was an accident or experiment on his part. He's much better about not being so distracted now. 

• DS does the exact same thing! It hurts! I know it's a distraction thing because he starts to look over his shoulder when he turns his head he takes my nipple with it! I'm going to try what some of the mom said about having a necklace too see if that will keep him occupied.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"