Minnesota Babies

What neighborhood/city would be best....

Hi all-

DH and I are looking to relocate to the Twin Cities and are looking for family friendly suggestions where to move. Any input is appreciated! 

Re: What neighborhood/city would be best....

• Hello, There are MANY great places around the TC area is there 1 area you "need/would like" to be in (aka near work or family)?  

• An easy commute to the downtown would be preferable but not necessary... We're mainly focusing on housing costs.  

• Loading the player...
  • There are so many places. It really does depend on what you want and who you ask.

Within the city - the Southwest Minneapolis neighborhood and the Highland portion of St Paul are probably the best known locations. There are many more pockets and areas that are nice though.

If you're looking for really cheap housing I think that Oakdale and Lakeville are underpriced right now. They're both outside of the 694 loop though and you'll be going with traffic downtown every day.

Otherwise most of our suburbs fit what you're looking for. If I was looking anywhere I'd check out Hopkins, White Bear Lake, and Stillwater (Stillwater is WAY far out there though). They're still suburban, but have these cute little downtown areas that really add a sense of community.

I'm sure there's tons more, and some people probably don't agree with me! Good luck!!

DX PCOS, Endometriosis 2009
    Eliot. Born 6/18/10
    Missed m/c discovered 1/6/12 at 8-9 weeks
    D&C 1/10/12
    My Blog
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • If you'd rather stay in the cities, I'd also check out certain parts of NE Mpls (the more noreasterly parts of NE), St. Anthony, New Brighton, and the Como neighborhood in St. Paul.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The Twin Cities area is a great place to be with kids.  Are you looking to rent or to buy?  I live in Shoreview, which I love.  We have two playgrounds within 1/4 mile of my house and tons of walking paths.  When I worked downtown Minneapolis, it was about a 20-30 minute drive (depending on traffic) or 30-40 bus commute when I used the park and ride.   

A great thing to check into no matter where you end up at are ECFE classes.  If you're a SAHM, it a great way to get out and meet people.  A lot of school districts are now adding night and weekend classes too, so more families can participate. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm giving my "real estate" response here since I work in the industry.  Most of the inner ring suburbs (inside the 494/694 loop) are going to be pricey because they're in high demand right now.  Some cities specifically that have NOT seen a dip in prices in this housing market are: Roseville, Shoreview, Arden Hills, parts of White Bear Lake, St. Paul (specifically Highland Park/Mac-Groveland), MPLS lakes area, Calhoun, Harriet, Nokomis, etc.

Areas that have seen a drastic dip are New Brighton, NE Minneapolis, Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, parts of St. Louis Park, Oakdale, Maplewood.

So with that being said its a toss up, the closer you are to the city the more expensive it'll be but going out a little bit will lower the prices, and considering the future I'd look at school districts.  Centennial and Moundsview school districts are great, and they'd be Shoreview, and North.

• Not that I'm biased or anything, but I'd check out Blaine. Housing prices are really reasonable for a good sized newer home. Blaine is a planned community and has among the best paved paths and park system on the north side of the TC area. Look for housing in Blaine that's in the Spring Lake Park school district. It's got top notch schools and is one of the smaller districts around here. Their ECFE program is awesome! There are also several MOPS programs in the area. Both are great ways to meet other moms. I did the commute into Mpls for years and while it's not great, it's not the worst I've had to deal with. Also, if you don't want/need a car, you can take the express bus from Northtown Mall (or any other local park and ride spots) or depending on your location, you can take the Northstar rail downtown. Finally, the area is convenient to a wide variety of shops and restaurants (Riverdale in *** Rapids, Shops at Arbor Lakes in Maple Grove and Rosedale Mall in Roseville).
    Wife to an amazing man and mom to three darling girls!
  • It's really going to depend on how much you want to spend and where specifically within the cities you're trying to commute to!

South St. Paul is an older community but the schools are pretty good... Woodbury has a huge Foreclosure market with really good schools...  Inver Grove Heights and Cottage Grove are an easy drive into SP...  Brooklyn Park is good for being close to Minneapolis...  The sky is the limit depending on what you want to spend and where you want to be in relation to your work!  There are always good pockets of communities and schools, and other not-so-good areas as well no matter where you go. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for all your answers ladies. Sorry it took me so long to respond again. DH and I are going to be talking to his work and will hopefully be on our way out there in the next year or so. I love WA, but my heart is in MN. <3
  • I live in Edina, and while the cost of housing is a bit higher than some of the other suburbs mentioned here, I wouldn't move for anything. The community is amazing and the school disctrict is consistently rated in the top 100 in the country. Just today I took my 1 year old to the homecoming parade and once again was reminded how much I love living in this community. There are a lot of houses for sale here right now. Most of them need a lot of work, but if you are willing to take your time in making improvements, it's worth it.
    dd #1 5/2010 dd #2 5/2012 dd #3 due 11/2013

• We live in the West Metro and absolutely love it! St. Louis Park, Hopkins, and Minnetonka are all good options. Hopkins has a very cute downtown/Main Street area and a reputation for great schools.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"